Vacant land thoughts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vacant land thoughts

Another common one is Internet. People build big fancy homes in the country and then find out they cannot get decent landline Internet or they need to pay for the build to reach them. I have even seen this for new corporate offices, build a big fancy building, of $2M to get fibre built as it is no where near where they built....

There is a whole bunch of that story missing , built for cash or got building loan on an unserviced property? Built the whole house with hand tools ? Waited till the house was ready to occupy to power it ? Had no idea the scope of work required? Because yeah , I’d ask for a 2km line run , and not ask for a week project from hydro one , until moving day .
Sounds like really bad planning and maybe the media will fix this when I play the dumdum card .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Another common one is Internet. People build big fancy homes in the country and then find out they cannot get decent landline Internet or they need to pay for the build to reach them. I have even seen this for new corporate offices, build a big fancy building, of $2M to get fibre built as it is no where near where they built....
Starlink has improved that situation greatly. Big waiting list but you can get on the list when you start your build. It's expensive but functional. When we were looking for this house, I was calling teksavvy with postal codes to see what was available before we submitted an offer.

this was me in my last home. checked internet too but postal code on google maps was not the right postal code. lived for 4 years with bell satellite, would download shows and movies at work.

Starlink has rave reviews and I wouldve jumped on that immediately if I was still there.

this was me in my last home. checked internet too but postal code on google maps was not the right postal code. lived for 4 years with bell satellite, would download shows and movies at work.

Starlink has rave reviews and I wouldve jumped on that immediately if I was still there.
My current house has two postal codes. Very different. Only the first letter is the same. I think one was historical for a huge area and the second got created with development. Some forms don't recognize the small area one so I need to use the large area (for instance Amazon refuses to acknowledge that the small areas postal code is valid). Canada post gets me things with either postal code on it. Very strange.

Big chunk of North Halton ( campbellville) has 3 million dollars homes with 2 bars of cell and no interweb option .

Big chunk of North Halton ( campbellville) has 3 million dollars homes with 2 bars of cell and no interweb option .

We aren't that far from there 1 bar is good and until bell recently launched their mobile internet there was no real option. Now surprise bell has oversold the service and it is **** despite the promise when we signed up that they weren't going to do that. May jump to starlink when available but it is expensive.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

MadMike , unless you own an excavator and hold permits to 'engineer' a septic bed , I think you'll find you are way light on your numbers .Last decade they have gotten very expensive
Could be. In 96 I built one in sandy doil, code about 5K. 250' of weepers, 20 yes of 3/4 gravel, a roll of building paper and a concrete tank.

The other one up did was on a small wet lot on Leslie St in Sharon on 05. Had to remove and replace 60 yds of wet clay with filter sand. That was pricey, about $20k.

The local inspector gave me copies of approved plans from nearby lots as examples, I copied them and filed for my own permits. I dug test holes, they tested the t-times and identified the high water table. Easy-to-use work with.

My sis is doing a lakefront system near Minden this spring, no quotes yet but I'll share the details when I get them. I expect it will be pricey.

You don't need to be in the Stix for that. We moved our plant to the biggest industrial park in Newmarket, a 100mb cable ISP was shared by a pile of businesses, it was impossibly slow. It cost $20k and 5 year $500/mo contract to bring in fiber. Took 8 months to get it lit.

The best thing to do is discuss this with a local realtor.

If you pickup a vacant city lot, just a bunch of permits and fees. Get something in the wilds of Ontario and there may not be services available.

Generally speaking if there is power at your entrance driveway, you'll likely get access to electricity and phone fairly easily. Gas is mostly an urban thing, you may see it on some rural roads in farming areas. Water and sewers are only city things.

The cost to connect services is almost nothing however you bear the cost to run it into your property. Poles are about $1000 each and spaced 200' apart. Wire is about $25/ft for copper, terminal connections about $1000, so each 200' cost between $6-8K if you DIY.

Septic systems run $10K to $50K depending on your soils and location.

Also beware of local zoning. In unincorporated areas you can do as you please, but may not always find services on every road. You may not find schools, waste, snow plowing or emergency services either. Elsewhere it's wise to check with the local municipality, they are all helpful when it comes to informing you about dos and dont's.

I live in Alliston and a new septic would cost around $40K. Last August I bought 31 acres in Mattawa with a new tiny home on it and was quoted $12-$14k for full septic install.

Great replies from all, thank you. I think we're shifting gears now, and going to an existing residence already built. Contemplating between unincorporated and regulated, etc. Time to ditch the city afterall I guess.

Great replies from all, thank you. I think we're shifting gears now, and going to an existing residence already built. Contemplating between unincorporated and regulated, etc. Time to ditch the city afterall I guess.
If you don't care for gov't, unincorporated is best. Stupidly low taxes as there are limited municipal services. You're on your own for emergency services, most other services will be a good hike.

No building permits (love that one) but you still have to build to code.

I live in Alliston and a new septic would cost around $40K. Last August I bought 31 acres in Mattawa with a new tiny home on it and was quoted $12-$14k for full septic install.
A big part of septic cost is the soil and lot you're on. Clay soils, small lots & high water tables are the big $$$ factors. If you have sandy soil and 1/2 acre or more you will be at the low end.

If you don't care for gov't, unincorporated is best. Stupidly low taxes as there are limited municipal services. You're on your own for emergency services, most other services will be a good hike.

No building permits (love that one) but you still have to build to code.
Any idea how insurance works in unincorporated? I assume fire insurance is somewhere between very expensive and unobtanium. If so, a nearby water source (pond, river or lake) and a pompe a feu would be on my needs list. Watching an uninsured structure burn is not a good day. If you're in an area prone to forest fires, a permanently installed rooftop sprinkler that you can charge with your pump is a good addition as well.

My only real appeal to unincorporated is with adding a bunkie. Either way, some of the costs of insurance, etc. are well mitigated in other areas, and as a primary residence, I think the fire insurance is still available. Still a few details to confirm, but we are certainly stepping forward cautiously

My only real appeal to unincorporated is with adding a bunkie. Either way, some of the costs of insurance, etc. are well mitigated in other areas, and as a primary residence, I think the fire insurance is still available. Still a few details to confirm, but we are certainly stepping forward cautiously

If the main structure burns down you can live in the bunkie but making the main structure out of non combustible materials would help. Furniture adds fire load. Unfortunately, with a house in the woods there is an expectation of a woodsy construction.

I don't know much about fire retardant woods. The pond, pump and a sprinkler system would help but trashes the upholstery that would burn anyway, so...

Ah, what a process. Took the plunge and sold my house this weekend, bought a place up North (right on OFSC trail) and now to start making plans. Thinking based on ROR from the initial investment and the rates available, situating an RV trailer on the property for short term rental seems like the best bet. No winter rentals, but a good 5 months available and we are walking distance to a public boat launch, 40 miles of water, close to really good riding roads etc. I think an additional on-ground holding tank would keep the pumpouts to a minimum but it's doable. I think I'll be advertising to the motorcycle world for tenants! Garage parking available too

Ah, what a process. Took the plunge and sold my house this weekend, bought a place up North (right on OFSC trail) and now to start making plans. Thinking based on ROR from the initial investment and the rates available, situating an RV trailer on the property for short term rental seems like the best bet. No winter rentals, but a good 5 months available and we are walking distance to a public boat launch, 40 miles of water, close to really good riding roads etc. I think an additional on-ground holding tank would keep the pumpouts to a minimum but it's doable. I think I'll be advertising to the motorcycle world for tenants! Garage parking available too
Awesome. Congrats. How far north (rough region is good enough)?

Awesome. Congrats. How far north (rough region is good enough)?
Thanks man - right on the 520, just outside of Burks Falls. Prob 35 min outside of Huntsville

Back
Top Bottom