UVIP kicks *** | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

UVIP kicks ***

We're talking in context of vehicle title transfers, aka buying and selling vehicles. YOU can't register the vehicle as FIT unless you clear a safety. It remains fit as long as the registration is still under the old owner (provided it was plated in the first place), but then it's not your vehicle is it?
This is correct.

Newsflash: every vehicle is 'unfit' until a safety inspection is done and a certificate given

Second newsflash: liens can be removed, and at times the change isn't even updated on the UVIP until the financial institution is 'reminded' to do so.

First one incorrect it's only unfit if you register it without a plate and no certification. Vehicle will remain fit under the previous registration and a temporary sticker. Certification is required to permanently attach a plate.

We're talking in context of vehicle title transfers, aka buying and selling vehicles. YOU can't register the vehicle as FIT unless you clear a safety. It remains fit as long as the registration is still under the old owner (provided it was plated in the first place), but then it's not your vehicle is it?

Now you're just arguing semantics. Move along.

This is correct.

Not exactly. Since the MTO got rid of the paper 10 day and went to the sticker "T" you can transfer the vehicle into your name, purchase plates and purchase a "T" sticker all under the old owners "fit" status but with everything in your name. On the ownership it will say "FIT" but the plate portion will be for a "T" sticker only. However you are 100% correct in that fact if you want a dated sticker you need a safety.

This is where the info you have provided could be come an issue. If you don't go for the "T" initially they will just swap the ownership over to your name with "unfit" obviously creating issues if you need to get a "T" temp to get a safety. If you request a "T" they will swap the ownership to your name with "FIT" so you can only get a T intill you get the safety.

so in short, the correct answers are as follows.

1. when a vehicle ownership is transferred without a certification it is labelled as "unfit", which mean it needs to be certified (as per ministry req's) to be labelled as "fit"

2. a dealership is not required to provide a uvip. only private sales require a uvip.

3. carproof/fax are notoriously unreliable.

4. a vehicle at a dealership can be shown despite having a lein. a lein must be cleared BEFORE it is transferred to the buyers name. a uvip/carproof etc. may show a lein that has been cleared. it can take a while, howver the bank provides documentation that a lein has been cleared

No, clearly it was a stolen bike with a lien and a grenade for an engine. Rodney Holmes has solved another mystery.

That's the only explanation. He got a UVIP, man.

Second newsflash: liens can be removed, and at times the change isn't even updated on the UVIP until the financial institution is 'reminded' to do so.
Buying a vehicle with a lien is a GREAT way to save serious $$$! Twice recently, when looking at purchasing new vehicles (one bike, one car), the buyer said "I'll tell ya now, before you pull the UVIP, it's got a lien on it." Other perspective buyers were scared away, and the seller dropped his price to make it more attractive.

In both cases I called the lien holder, and in fact the lien has been discharged, but the MTO had not removed it from the vehicle! The vehicle owners just weren't sure how to fix the situation. Sweeeeeet deal!

Don't let liens scare you, use it as a bargaining tool, if you gotta spend the time and work to remove it, it's worth some $$$ off the price!

-Jamie M.

Buying a vehicle with a lien is a GREAT way to save serious $$$! Twice recently, when looking at purchasing new vehicles (one bike, one car), the buyer said "I'll tell ya now, before you pull the UVIP, it's got a lien on it." Other perspective buyers were scared away, and the seller dropped his price to make it more attractive.

In both cases I called the lien holder, and in fact the lien has been discharged, but the MTO had not removed it from the vehicle! The vehicle owners just weren't sure how to fix the situation. Sweeeeeet deal!

Don't let liens scare you, use it as a bargaining tool, if you gotta spend the time and work to remove it, it's worth some $$$ off the price!

-Jamie M.

How did you get the lien holders telephone number, search for name? I have the lien holders name, but no telephone #.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

UVIP can save you from lots of trouble. Once I was considering buying golf with 100k on it and it looked like good deal but something stunk and dealer gave me creeps so I got VIN and took UVIP. There was no mileage info on it but I called previous owner and politely asked if he would tell me about the car. He was friendly and when I told him about 100k he was laughing his head off. He sold car with 450k, lots of work travel. I already had deposit on the car and dealer returned it after I told him that I know where car was serviced and that I will go pull records if he keeps messing with me. I wish MTO would keep ODO readings on report, why do we have to report them on every plate renewal if they hide that info.

Its not useless. It can tell you if the vehicle has a branded title, if it was in an accident, if you might be dealing with odometer fraud, how many previous owners there have been, if there's a lien (that you further look into) and the list goes on...

But the "unfit" part is common. If you transfer a vehicle title without a safety, it gets registered as unfit until a safety is performed.

no such thing as odometer fraud on a motorbike. You are not required to report k's to the mto. Depending on the wording of the question a buyer may get the truth from a seller. Other than that, no recourse.

I wish MTO would keep ODO readings on report, why do we have to report them on every plate renewal if they hide that info.

they do put it on there now. they keep all entries in their log files, but only the most recent entry is shown on the uvip. they're supposed to look at those discrepancies... but its never really followed up. a while back we built an engine for a pretty big/popular towing company, for one of their trucks. they decided not to pay, we put a lien on the truck, they were selling, we had the truck seized, showed that the truck now had the mileage turned back, authorities were involved. all of a sudden they coughed up the payment they owed us. police didnt pursue the criminal charge... they dont care... in fact, other than speeding and parking tickets, its difficult to find something they actually give a **** about...

Back
Top Bottom