Upgrading from a 125 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upgrading from a 125

Hello,

I've been riding my CBR125 for 1 and a half seasons now, the lack of power is really starting to bug me. I ride responsibly, I encounter a lot of situation where 125cc just isn't enough.

So I am going to upgrade. I'm deciding between the Ninja 400 and 650.

Obviously going from a 125, there is a huge power difference with the 400, would a 650 be too much?

I'm going to do some test rides and find out, but some input from more experienced riders would be amazing.

Thanks.

my wife has a yamaha fz6r and sometimes I'll ride it instead of my street triple because I find the clutch and throttle so nice and forgiving. I think you'd be perfectly comfortable with the Ninja 650, it might be the extra weight not the power that you have to practice with. (note I've never ridden a CBR125)

Why not go for a Ninja 250 first? Or if you want your second bike to last a little while longer, get a Ninja 500. Remember, you're not buying a bike to last you the rest of your life.

Hi Jill. There are a lot of bikes that you can upgrade to - but there are things you would need to take into consideration such as the height of the bike, your own height, weight of the bike etc., Will a jump up to the 400 be big for you? Probably not. But a 600 might be something you may want to think about. I went from a 250 to a 600 and am still learning new things about it. 600cc does offer a more power, sometimes too much. If you are seriously considering a 400, maybe you might want to keep an eye out for demo rides offered by Kawasaki.

Get the 650 it is the same bike and as long as you are responsible you will love the extra power. A ninja 650 is not going to be nearly as intimidating as you think. You will probably find it easier and more relaxing to ride once you are used to it.

The big issue for me is the price of that 400 vs. the 650. Not much less price, for a whole hell of a lot less bike. Classic case of pricing at what they think the market will bear, not what the vehicle is worth.

Plus, there will be no used 400's out there, unless you are dead set on going new, whereas there are lots of 650's out there.

Why are you limiting yourself to Kawasakis? Suzuki makes a great 650.

The big issue for me is the price of that 400 vs. the 650. Not much less price, for a whole hell of a lot less bike. Classic case of pricing at what they think the market will bear, not what the vehicle is worth.

Plus, there will be no used 400's out there, unless you are dead set on going new, whereas there are lots of 650's out there.

Why are you limiting yourself to Kawasakis? Suzuki makes a great 650.

The SV is another great choice and has ABS 2008+ you should be able to get a used 2008 for under $6000 with under 3000 km's on it. You can also get a new one with warranty for $6500 if you look.
There is no reason why the 400 should cost any less than the 650 Kawi all the same parts except for cylinders and pistons. They are actually making less on the 400's than the 650's just because the engine has slightly smaller pistons doesn't make it less expensive to produce.

Going to a 250 or 400 is a marginal upgrade at best. Don't bother.

It's not just cc's. Riding position is something you want to think about too, an SV650S has a sportier position, the naked not as much and the 400 and 650 you're looking at are more upright like the SV650 naked. Personally I like the more upright position as the sportier position doesn't really offer anything for the street and it's more comfortable for long distances. Weight for a bigger bike will always be an issue but they are all going to be about 400lbs ish now. The only time this really matters is when you're waddling the bike around a garage or driveway though.

Carefull when you upgrade to the 650 - weight will be an issue - not only in the garage, but when you stop. Don't know if this happens - but if you ever stop and the front wheel is turned by accident - like turning right, and suddenly stopping - the bike lurches to the left for example. Well, you can save it from going down on a lighter bike, but on a heavier bike it's less forgiving.

Got for the 650 - forget the 250 or 400. You've already passed the beginner bike stage.

^^ That's a good list, you really want to just go and sit on these things for size though. Remember if need be they can all be lowered but that can sometimes alter the way the bike behaves a little.

My picks, in order:

1. Yamaha FZ6
2. SV650
3. Yamaha FZ6R
4. Ninja 650
5. Ninja 400

This is the same move i made, cbr125 to 650r. The 650r is very easy to ride, it's not as twitchy as a supersport, and makes lots of power in low rpm, it probably has more torque at idle than the cbr125 has as a peak. You will feel the weight difference at low speed or stopped, but every bike is heavier than the cbr125.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll look into the FZ6. I admit I'm not a fan of the Suzuki motorcycles.

I'm 5'10 and 125lbs, so a big bike could be a problem.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll look into the FZ6. I admit I'm not a fan of the Suzuki motorcycles.

Any reason? I've been really happy with my upgrade to the SV650S. It's a little lighter than the FZ6.

I'm 5'10 and 125lbs, so a big bike could be a problem.

Just be really gentle with the throttle the first few minutes riding a 600+ cc bike after being on a 125.

If you rev to like 7000 and let out the clutch like you do with a 125 just to get it moving, well um... yeah.

Any reason? I've been really happy with my upgrade to the SV650S. It's a little lighter than the FZ6.

Ditto. SV650 is an amazing bike. Good for long trips, track, city, commuting, you name it. Plus, once you get used to the V-twin torque, you'll love it. It is a light and nimble bike. Only about 30lbs heavier than Ninja 250 and actually lighter than Ninja 500 (which would be a good bike to consider as well if you don't mind the outdated look).
You can find SVs cheap, insurance is inexpensive, maintenance - low.

FZ6 is much more powerful, not THAT far off an older version R6 from which the motor derives, it's also a larger, heavier bike.
FZ6R is more like SV650 and Ninja 650 in terms of power delivery. A little less on low end and a little more on high end.

Having said that and coming back to the original question - definitely Ninja 650 over 400. Ninja is exactly the same as its bigger brother but with a castrated engine for insurance purpose in BC and Quebec. No point wasting money on that bike.

You can also consider Honda CBF600.

Back
Top Bottom