Upgrading from a 125 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Upgrading from a 125

Ditto. SV650 is an amazing bike. Good for long trips, track, city, commuting, you name it. Plus, once you get used to the V-twin torque, you'll love it. It is a light and nimble bike. Only about 30lbs heavier than Ninja 250 and actually lighter than Ninja 500 (which would be a good bike to consider as well if you don't mind the outdated look).
You can find SVs cheap, insurance is inexpensive, maintenance - low.

FZ6 is much more powerful, not THAT far off an older version R6 from which the motor derives, it's also a larger, heavier bike.
FZ6R is more like SV650 and Ninja 650 in terms of power delivery. A little less on low end and a little more on high end.

Having said that and coming back to the original question - definitely Ninja 650 over 400. Ninja is exactly the same as its bigger brother but with a castrated engine for insurance purpose in BC and Quebec. No point wasting money on that bike.

You can also consider Honda CBF600.

Thanks again for the input. I never really paid attention to the SV650 before, always the GSX; not a fan of it's looks.

I REALLY don't like the CBF600 (no offense to anyone who rides one).

I called my broker, he said that Jevco doesn't recognize the Ninja 650 as a sport bike, so rates are cheaper. The SV/FZ6 would be a ton higher rates :\.

Thanks again for the input. I never really paid attention to the SV650 before, always the GSX; not a fan of it's looks.

I called my broker, he said that Jevco doesn't recognize the Ninja 650 as a sport bike, so rates are cheaper. The SV/FZ6 would be a ton higher rates :\.

What, why? The SV/FZ6 shouldn't be considered sport bikes.

Different ins. cos. will consider different bikes to be sport models or not covered....usually due to actuarial tables. i.e. which bikes they have lots of claims for.

+1 at your height none of the bikes should be too much of an issue. Once you get used to the extra weight of the bikes and their control. Pick the one that fits you...budget, looks, feel. Standard or sporty standards will perform just as well on the street as SS.

No problem but ...
Your broker doesn't know what he/she's talking about. SV/FZ6 are in the exactly same category as Ninja 650. Sport Touring. I'm with Jevco and I pay $48/month. What you want to avoid is the Super Sport category.
Here's a 2011 list of bikes that are "black listed" by Jevco.
For such bikes, most people go with StateFarm because these guys charge by CCs.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Sport-Bike-List-from-John-R.-Duffy-Insurance
Anything NOT on the above list has normal insurance rates. Also anything older than 15, no matter if on the list or not.

I didn't like the SV looks either when I got one, and I have the 1st gen curvy which is even more unique. By now, it grew on me.
Nevertheless, it is an incredible bike and does outsell the Ninja, probably 4-1 ratio, for a reason. However, there's nothing wrong with the Ninja. It may be even a better bike for a beginner/newer person as it's not as torquy as the SV (parallel twin versus v-twin).

Last edited:
I went from a Ninja 250 to my 650R this year after 4 seasons on the 250. The first time I rode it home I was shocked at what a beast it was lol, couldn't believe people consider it a beginner bike. Then I realized I was still revving the piss out of it like my 250 lol, if you take it easy it is a very forgiving bike, if you get on it it has tons of torque and is smooth cruising all the way to 150km/h. The riding position is amazing (I commute 100km round trip every day) and is the main reason I chose it over the SV650S (although I like the looks better and I'm a Kawi guy).

Basically I think the 650/600 standard class (650R, FZ6R, GSX650, SV650) is ideal for the street, any one of them really. Great ergos, perfect useable power with our laws, amazing fuel economy, cheap insurance.

The 400 is no cheaper on insurance than the 650 in some cases, and has the same purchase price (almost), so why buy it?

i rode both an fz6r and the ninja 650 last thursday, and I liked the Yamaha better. I liked the smoother feel of the inline 4, and I liked the seat better. As much as I want an SS for my next bike, I think I may just get the fizzer and keep it for a couple years. That or an FZ8, if I can learn to love the naked look.

can we please stick to the topic here.
I'm 5'10 and 125lbs, so a big bike could be a problem.

Photo's please!!!!

PICS???????????? lol ahahahahahaha

- a few things come to mind when jumping from a 125 to anything.

1) price difference
2) insurance difference
3) weight of the bike
4) height of the bike
5) throttle forgiveness

if you have 125 experience, you are well ahead of anyone else that jumps right onto a bigger bike.
take your time, get comfortable with the new machine and you should be fine.

My first bike was a CBR125, rode it for two years. Upgraded to a Kawasaki Ninja ZX600 (The sport touring model) and I must say it was the perfect upgrade. Don't waste your time with a 250-400cc bike if you've been riding the 125 for almost two years. Get on that 600cc bike, take it easy for the first few weeks and you'll be fine.
P.S. I'm 5'4" 125lbs, so you can definitely handle a 600cc.

according to the surcharge list the SV650 and FZ6R are not surcharged bikes. in fact, they've actually dropped the more powerful FZ6/8/1 from the surcharge list amongst others.

Thanks a ton for the input, everyone. I'll definitely go for a 600.

I like the FZ6R, has a bit more of a sportier look; it's also hot in Red. Can you get fender eliminator kits for it (the tail is very ugly)?

I like the FZ6R, has a bit more of a sportier look; it's also hot in Red. Can you get fender eliminator kits for it (the tail is very ugly)?

Have an FZ6r and a fender eliminator. Ran just over 100. Yes the tail is very ugly.

lots of fender eliminator options:
http://www.hardracing.com/FenderEliminators/Yamaha.htm

1y609.jpg

Back
Top Bottom