Two left turners: who has right of way? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two left turners: who has right of way?

B tried to cut me off but couldn't and gave me the finger like I was in the wrong. Some ppl! But, CafeRay has a point: if A's a bike, then better let the car have the right of way.

And here's a link to the intersection(it's pretty common, obviously, but an actual picture might help).

If you are too far back he thinks you are letting him go first, then gets mad when the story changes. There is nothing wrong with turning at the same time if you are both coordinated. Specifically, start your turn after the bus shelter, not before.

On a bike? Same deal, get in front of B's path for visibility and get the heck out of there before you get rear-ended.

In theory: right has the right.
In practice: Big has the right.

Yeah, sorry. There is actually a stop sign at B, but didn't want to put another factor into the equation.

Thank whatever gods you pray to that you didn't want to include the part that will give you the correct answer according to the law.

Do you have a valid license? Because there is no way you could pass the written if you don't even know this.

I agree. If this happens close to home, I can just imagine what happens out on the mean streets.
Take charge of the situation. Do not "LET" cars cut in front of you. You must ride like YOU belong there, and nobody is going to tell you other wise.
My gut feeling is that you gave some kind of indication that the car is OK to proceed.
Check your riding patterns. Make sure you are in blocking position at all times.
If you were riding over near to the curb, maybe the car thought you were submissive and then the car took charge.

Thank whatever gods you pray to that you didn't want to include the part that will give you the correct answer according to the law.

Do you have a valid license? Because there is no way you could pass the written if you don't even know this.

I've had someone embed themselves into the driver's side of my car in that type of situation.
I was turning left from Main St to Swanwick Ave, and they were doing the reverse through a stop sign.
Best to be careful in these types of situations. I wonder if those "street racing" laws apply like they do for left turns at the lights?

I was always under the impression that the vehicle to your right has the right of way in circumstances where you're both approaching a stop or whatever

where does an intersection like this exist with no stop sign for one or both directions? India?

edit:

Oh, there is actually a stop sign at the intersection, but that little insignificant detail was left out?

You're lucky all you got was a finger when you illegaly pulled out right in front of a car that CLEARLY has the right of way. On what continent would you, at a stop sign, EVER be legally allowed to pull a left in front of traffic like that? He could have rolled right over you and you'd still get the ticket while you ride the ambulance to ER. Please tell me you don't drive / ride this way and this is all a funny internets joke?

Wow. Exiting thread now.

Last edited:
The next thing you know is that the OP will ask what the route is for the M2 exit test and how to pass it.

You're lucky all you got was a finger when you illegaly pulled out right in front of a car that CLEARLY has the right of way. On what continent would you, at a stop sign, EVER be legally allowed to pull a left in front of traffic like that?

A=OP
B=Finger Giver

A=OP
B=Finger Giver

oh lols! looks like I need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills
ignore everything i previously posted

Not just the OP seems to have troubles understanding the HTA.

The HTA rules really aren't that complicated about this.

Makes me worried about who I am on the road with, out there.

Like most other's said, A has right of way if no stop sign or if they both have stop signs and stop at the same time. If they both have stop signs and don't stop at the same time, the first person to arrive/stop has the right of way.

Like most other's said, A has right of way if no stop sign or if they both have stop signs and stop at the same time. If they both have stop signs and don't stop at the same time, the first person to arrive/stop has the right of way.

That this needs to be explained to anyone that holds a valid licence is what frightens me.

That this needs to be explained to anyone that holds a valid licence is what frightens me.

The test questions aren't prioritized....and you don't have to get them ALL right. ;)

I agree with you that A has the right of way. That is the definitive answer. Your reasoning, however, is not describing the OP's situation. It's pretty obviously that if they are stopping with stop signs, whoever stops first gets to go first. But in this situation, vehicle A would never have a stop sign because he is on the bigger road (see explanation below)

My reasoning that A always has the right of way (regardless if B has a stop sign or stops first) is because A is going from a bigger road, 2 lanes each way, onto a smaller road, 1 lane each way. In your example of having stop signs, the only time that would apply is if the vehicle is turning onto a road of the same size.

So in this case, OP (A) is correct in going first.

Last edited:
I agree with you that A has the right of way. That is the definitive answer. Your reasoning, however, is not describing the OP's situation. It's pretty obviously that if they are stopping with stop signs, whoever stops first gets to go first. But in this situation, vehicle A would never have a stop sign because he is on the bigger road (see explanation below)

My reasoning that A always has the right of way (regardless if B has a stop sign or stops first) is because A is going from a bigger road, 2 lanes each way, onto a smaller road, 1 lane each way. In your example of having stop signs, the only time that would apply is if the vehicle is turning onto a road of the same size.

So in this case, OP (A) is correct in going first.

I've seen roads like you mentioned (2 lanes each way with 1 lane each way intersecting) with 3 stop signs. In that case, like I said, the person that arrives and stops first has right of way regardless of the size of road.

OP didn't mention stop signs and I read something that implied there were none (which would be unusual but entirely possible in a parking lot where right of way still applies).

I've seen roads like you mentioned (2 lanes each way with 1 lane each way intersecting) with 3 stop signs. In that case, like I said, the person that arrives and stops first has right of way regardless of the size of road.

OP didn't mention stop signs and I read something that implied there were none (which would be unusual but entirely possible in a parking lot where right of way still applies).

Because I'm a nerd, have a flowchart.

blah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom