Turn Back the Odomider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Turn Back the Odomider

kawasakimatt

I bought a new motor for my bike and it has considerably less kilometers than my old one. The cluster was not available for purchase. I have heard of some people who can turn the odomiter back. Im only looking to match the new engine nothing less. Do u know of anyone local who can do this?

I totally believe you.
LoL... let's give him the benefit of a doubt.

So many reasons why you shouldn't do that, but i'll mention only the basics.

1. The most obvious is odometer fraud.

2. If you intend to sell the bike and the new odometer shows 20,000 km's, how would the buyer know if it previously had 50,000 or 100,000 KMs?... That's even if you intend to mention to the buyer that the ODO has been changed.:rolleyes:

3. The ODO doesn't just reflect the mileage on the engine but also on the general ware that a bike with a certain amount of KM's is supposed to have.

4. Maintenance intervals and so on...

I would strongly suggest that you don't do it.

oh hey, i bought this 1990 gixxer, the engine finally gave out, so i replaced it with a new one, i should totally match the odometer back to zero...it's only the engine that matters anyways, none of the rest of the bike, right?

Record the mileage on the bike & record the mileage on the engine for your records, then use the bike odometer for the maintenance intervals. A little math isn't hard ;) and you should be able to figure it out.

Plus if/when you sell the bike you can state the bike has XXXkms and the engine was replaced at YYYkms with a motor with ZZZkms on it at the time.

I don't know if they even look at what you write but I've always put the actual mileage when I renew my plate sticker. It could look odd when your record mileage suddenly drops.

If your odo is analog, why don't you just hook it up to a drill, and run it? It will eventually roll over, likely at 100,000 and then start over again, so you can set it to the right mileage.

Of course, you could get screwed and it won't roll over. Gamble!

I bought a new motor for my bike and it has considerably less kilometers than my old one. The cluster was not available for purchase. I have heard of some people who can turn the odomiter back. Im only looking to match the new engine nothing less. Do u know of anyone local who can do this?

If your odo is analog, why don't you just hook it up to a drill, and run it? It will eventually roll over, likely at 100,000 and then start over again, so you can set it to the right mileage.

Of course, you could get screwed and it won't roll over. Gamble!

Drill takes too long. Just take off the cover and roll the numbers by hand if it's analog (you might have to drill to get it open). Digital is actually, I'm sure you can Google.

Why would you want to do that? Just record them by your Trip and make note.
If you ever sell your bike, just tell the buyer you got the engine replaced.

Abit sketchy next time you sell your bike on here.. lol

Just keep the receipt for the new engine. I replaced the engine in a Mustang I had with a new one, kept the receipt, which also showed when it was installed, and gave that to the seller when I sold it. No illegal odometer resetting required.

I would rather buy a bike that says "60,000kms on odometer, engine replaced at 40,500kms" instead of an ad that says "I know this is a 1990 and says 4,000kms but that's cause engine was replaced and I reset the odometer".

Leave the odo alone. Just put a note somewhere with the mileage showing when you replace the engine. The rest is elementary school math.
Plus I'm 90% sure it's illegal to tamper with the odo on all vehicles in Canada.

Mileage is associated with the VIN, not whatever part you feel is most important.

I would rather buy a bike that says "60,000kms on odometer, engine replaced at 40,500kms" instead of an ad that says "I know this is a 1990 and says 4,000kms but that's cause engine was replaced and I reset the odometer".

Leave the odo alone. Just put a note somewhere with the mileage showing when you replace the engine. The rest is elementary school math.
Plus I'm 90% sure it's illegal to tamper with the odo on all vehicles in Canada.

+1.

How about mileage...and its effects on chassie/suspension/bearings etc....

That's funny, so why doesn't the Ministry record the mileage of the bike for the UVIP? Since new?

Back
Top Bottom