TTR50 or CRF50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TTR50 or CRF50

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Kiddo is turning 3 next Spring and might be ready to start on one of these (with some training wheels). Looking to pick one up used over the offseason and just curious if anyone's fond of one over the other for any reason. Prices and resale are identical. CRF is a bit lighter but the TTR has estart (but no kick which is a plus and minus).
Thoughts?

My kid is almost 9 and still rocking a PW50
You might be able to find a PW50 for a little cheaper then TTR50.

Do they even sell motocross helmets and gear that fit a 3yr old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiddo is turning 3 next Spring and might be ready to start on one of these (with some training wheels). Looking to pick one up used over the offseason and just curious if anyone's fond of one over the other for any reason. Prices and resale are identical. CRF is a bit lighter but the TTR has estart (but no kick which is a plus and minus).
Thoughts?
Start with a stycyc then we went with a gas gas MCE5 if that is out of your budget. There are lots of inexpensive ones here in gas and electric electric start on the gas ones.

Sent from the future

I would also look into a battery operated (36V) Razor dirty bike.
My son also had one before the PW50 and he liked it. Got about 45 min or so out of 1 charge.

I got my daughter a ttr50 when she was 6, and upgraded this year (she's 8). The estart is nice, but have some way to boost it conveniently. For a 3 year old you're probably better off with the crf because a 3 year old won't be able to pick up the bike by themselves and restart it anyway. You'll always be there to pick it up, and assuming the plug isn't fouled, they turn over and start quite easily. Whereas a dead battery on a ttr50 can be a pain in the hole.

All that said, get an electric bike.

I second getting an electric dirt bike. There's a guy in my MX club that had some Apollo and Sedna electric balance bikes for sale. They were only around $750. At that price, I would have totally gone that route for my kids. The fact that they're electric and he could ride it around the neighbourhood make it a no brainer to me.

I got my daughter a ttr50 when she was 6, and upgraded this year (she's 8). The estart is nice, but have some way to boost it conveniently. For a 3 year old you're probably better off with the crf because a 3 year old won't be able to pick up the bike by themselves and restart it anyway. You'll always be there to pick it up, and assuming the plug isn't fouled, they turn over and start quite easily. Whereas a dead battery on a ttr50 can be a pain in the hole.

All that said, get an electric bike.
Playing devil's advocate, if the child can't pick up the bike on their own might they be too young to ride it?

Playing devil's advocate, if the child can't pick up the bike on their own might they be too young to ride it?
Depends on the kid's size. My daughter can ride decently, but she's about 4'4" and weighs in at a whopping 54lbs. She rides a 110crf now and there's no way she'd be able to pick it up.

I've also seen the opposite. 6'2" and could bench press the litre bike they own but belong on a tricycle.

Thoughts?
Just got this email today It should be good for him but forget the training wheels they just cause problems. MC-E 3 2023
My son has the mce 5 and it was a bit big for him at 5.

Sent from the future

Damnit people. Your wives are much more accommodating to this type of toy for the kids than mine!

Ugh...would be a great fun at the cottage for our 5 year old. Kijiji here I come.

It's a long story of how the PW50 ended up at my house. I'll tell it another time.
My wife doesn't find the story amusing.
The Coles notes of it is that I asked for forgiveness rather than permission. ;)

It's a long story of how the PW50 ended up at my house. I'll tell it another time.
The Coles notes of it is that I asked for forgiveness rather than permission. ;)
Considering the amount of riding I do...I'm well off selling the X and just buying a dirt bike for me and my son.

Considering the amount of riding I do...I'm well off selling the X and just buying a dirt bike for me and my son.
You can take mine to try it out.

That's how all my toys come home easier to say nothing and tell about the great deal you got when asked. She was a bit annoyed at the convertible but was quickly forgotten.

Sent from the future

That's how all my toys come home easier to say nothing and tell about the great deal you got when asked. She was a bit annoyed at the convertible but was quickly forgotten.

Sent from the future
Well with my most recent toy purchase, (new thread/post to follow soon) I tried the other method, asking for permission.
The answer back wasn't very clear so I went with my gut feeling (thinking she was OK with it):unsure:.
Time will tell if I was right or not.

02689CF2-BEB6-4691-AA66-0AD095336210.jpeg
Update: this lil 2022 CRF50 followed me home this week. Still has the paint and nubs on the tires and was half the price of a 22 OTD at the dealer. Didn’t even have to fold the 3rd row of seats down to fit it in the Odyssey :)

Wow. Amazing.

Did you ask for permission or will be begging for forgiveness?

View attachment 57896
Update: this lil 2022 CRF50 followed me home this week. Still has the paint and nubs on the tires and was half the price of a 22 OTD at the dealer. Didn’t even have to fold the 3rd row of seats down to fit it in the Odyssey :)
Half the price for a 2022? That’s a great deal.

I wonder if the PO discovered they couldn’t insure it and thus can’t get on the OFTR trails.

Back
Top Bottom