Trash Panda | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trash Panda

Lots of hypocrites running around in down filled jackets when it gets colder.

For myself, it's for wearing, not for fashion, so if it works, and isn't priced out of reach, I may try it.

There's an ethical down standard..Patagonia, Fjallraven and a few others adhere to it.

You can lessen the amount of cruelty to animals involved just by being careful with what you buy.

There's an ethical down standard..Patagonia, Fjallraven and a few others adhere to it.

You can lessen the amount of cruelty to animals involved just by being careful with what you buy.
I spent a decade in the textile industry, it’s mostly poof dust marketing designed to placate pretend environmentalists. Materials move through a complicated supply chain that makes things difficult to trace. Standards are loosely monitored and followed.

To make matters worse, the treehugger social network is dominated by writers and bloggers who are expert with the pen, but have little to no knowledge of the industries or products they write about - their works often perpetuate myths and support the possible, not the actual.

I spent a decade in the textile industry, it’s mostly poof dust marketing designed to placate pretend environmentalists. Materials move through a complicated supply chain that makes things difficult to trace. Standards are loosely monitored and followed.

To make matters worse, the treehugger social network is dominated by writers and bloggers who are expert with the pen, but have little to no knowledge of the industries or products they write about - their works often perpetuate myths and support the possible, not the actual.

I'm sure there’s a lot of bollocks associated with various claims but there are a few brands that would stand to lose a lot by not being honest with their consumers.

I'm sure there’s a lot of bollocks associated with various claims but there are a few brands that would stand to lose a lot by not being honest with their consumers.
I could march thru them one by one. Organic cotton, hemp, bamboo all get way over eco hyped. Truth about these materials gets drowned out by hype.

I could march thru them one by one. Organic cotton, hemp, bamboo all get way over eco hyped. Truth about these materials gets drowned out by hype.
Haha, we got a mattress and cover for our change table from friends. It is organic cotton and a few more buzzwords and set them back $400. It's not easy to distinguish from the $20 ikea special that we were going to go with.

Just hoping to keep the little buggers out of my pool house this year.
I'm tired of cleaning their **** up.
The only good news is that they tend to **** in the same spot until it's a foot or two high.
Wife keeps buying pool noodles year after year.
This time they're being stored down the basement.

Haha, we got a mattress and cover for our change table from friends. It is organic cotton and a few more buzzwords and set them back $400. It's not easy to distinguish from the $20 ikea special that we were going to go with.
The biggest difference? If yours was organic cotton, it was sprayed with paraquat to chemically defoliate. to increase yield. Paraquat type chemicals improve harvest yields, they are considered “processing” and not counted as a chemical input to production.

Do you sell the hats?
Not any more. I make a few each year for fun, when I do I only ask to have the materials covered (6 Stella tall boys usually does it).

I’ve only used fur supplied by customers for the last few years. I have a small stash of beaver, mouton, raccoon, mink, muskrat, possum, astrakhan and northern fur seal (can’t take marine fur out of Canada).

Just hoping to keep the little buggers out of my pool house this year.
I'm tired of cleaning their **** up.
The only good news is that they tend to **** in the same spot until it's a foot or two high.
Wife keeps buying pool noodles year after year.
This time they're being stored down the basement.
Moth balls and strobe lights. Both drive them away.

I've always found lead poisoning was a very effective deterrent if they didnt want to listen to reason. Much harder in suburbia though.
My BIL in Everett only uses lead. Deterrent...no, solution...yes.

Acquaintance who has since passed away was a "furrier " in Hamilton during the heyday of fur fashion, in the last few years he was open former customers would drop off coats , hats , capes that they had paid thousands for and hoped he could find them a home, they couldnt wear them for "ethical" reasons and were afraid of the tree huggers throwing paint on them.
He would restyle them and ship them off to Europe (and Quebec City) and make stupid profits, since the pelts were often like new and free.

Mom has a Black mink Majestic? grade jacket hanging in a closet, she paid about $8K , 40 years ago. Hasn't seen day light in 20years, cant throw it out.

Acquaintance who has since passed away was a "furrier " in Hamilton during the heyday of fur fashion, in the last few years he was open former customers would drop off coats , hats , capes that they had paid thousands for and hoped he could find them a home, they couldnt wear them for "ethical" reasons and were afraid of the tree huggers throwing paint on them.
He would restyle them and ship them off to Europe (and Quebec City) and make stupid profits, since the pelts were often like new and free.

Mom has a Black mink Majestic? grade jacket hanging in a closet, she paid about $8K , 40 years ago. Hasn't seen day light in 20years, cant throw it out.
My parents gave my wife my grandma's mink as she is always cold. No expectation of care, wear it to go tobogganing if she wanted at least it would be used. Nope. Wouldnt wear it. Facepalm. There may be an ethical argument against buying new fur but using an existing garment hurt no animals (they were dead before you were born).

I still remember the truck showing up every spring to take the furs to storage in TO and bringing them back again in the fall. Such a waste. Yes that makes them last longer but they were abandoned long before they aged out.

No sense trying to save a dead animal from death, the live ones are the only ones you can still do something to save. Wear the coat, don't waste it, completely wasting it would be a far worse tragedy.

No sense trying to save a dead animal from death, the live ones are the only ones you can still do something to save. Wear the coat, don't waste it, completely wasting it would be a far worse tragedy.
I'm with you. Sadly, convincing people otherwise is often impossible.

I

Its probably too old for repurposing into garments if it’s been stored at home. I’ve converted a few into decor pillows, hand muffs and small throw blankets.

Mink is expensive because it’s very labor intensive. Tiny strips of mink are cut and sewn together into large panels, making the panels takes more skill and time than making the garment.
6AC2D2E4-96D4-4785-A063-368B25D224A5.jpeg
Over time the hides dry and regular stress of donning and wearing splits the seams. Sometimes the can be resewn. EED331C5-CD8A-425D-8E81-80079350E1BF.jpeg

Last edited:
That is my point. I only use repurposed pelts, I’d rather see a raccoon keeping a fisherman warm than in a landfill Rotting with a bag of diapers.

I'm with you. Sadly, convincing people otherwise is often impossible.
You are correct. In the city I’ve had anti-fur militia feel the trim on my gloves and wife’s hat, then break into a screaming rant on the street, this discourages all use of furs.

This is mostly a Toronto and Vancouver thing, people in colder parts of the country have a deeper understanding of fur, less likely you will be hassled.

Back
Top Bottom