Transitions visors | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transitions visors

Did you have to replace the inner PinLock visor or just the pins that hold as.

After taking a close look at mine, I would expect the pins to last only so long. But I would also think that it is just the pins that need to be replaced.

My helmet actually came with a spare set.

I just replace the Pinlock insert, the pins stay on the visor. What wears out is the rubberized seal on the insert. If the pins fall out while you're manhandling the visor on, you can buy replacement pins.

However, if your visor gets all scratched up, you'll have to replace the visor with one that has Pinlock pins, if you want to continue using them.

Tell you the truth, although the Pinlock does work well, they are kinda pricey and after going through a few inserts, I don't use them anymore. I just crack open the bottom of the visor to vent some air in and it gets rid of the fogging.

Face might get a bit wet in the rain, but meh....

I guess I'll see how it goes as my previous Shark didn't have such technology. (I splurged this time around)

Looking at the Shoei site. The outside clear visor (CNS-1) is only available with the pinlock. (for now at least) and in clear only.

Something to do with US (or NA) regulations that you cannot have 2 tinted visors. (not enough transparency)
Read it the other day but can't recall the exact wording or rule #.

Looking at the Shoei site. The outside clear visor (CNS-1) is only available with the pinlock. (for now at least) and in clear only.

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing a tinted Pinlock visor either.

I can see how a tinted insert would turn it completely opaque.

Most of my helmets have the drop-down internal sunshade, so no need for the tinted visor.

Most of my helmets have the drop-down internal sunshade, so no need for the tinted visor.

That's what I was referring to.
Tinted drop down, not tinted Pinlock.

I'll definitely get an Icon Airflite as my next one. With a tinted visor those look sleek as hell.
Don't ride at night often so I just use a tinted visor 95% of the time as is, my current HJC Rpha 70 uses a plastic pinlock or rubber. I'm pretty sure it will last forever and can easily be removed as well.

Last edited:
I have a Bell with the Transition Visor. I love it, the only annoyance is if you get a stone chip you lose the transition on the spot and it just stays clear.

I have a Bell with the Transition Visor. I love it, the only annoyance is if you get a stone chip you lose the transition on the spot and it just stays clear.

why not put the tint coating inside the of visor?

I just replace the Pinlock insert, the pins stay on the visor. What wears out is the rubberized seal on the insert. If the pins fall out while you're manhandling the visor on, you can buy replacement pins.

However, if your visor gets all scratched up, you'll have to replace the visor with one that has Pinlock pins, if you want to continue using them.

Tell you the truth, although the Pinlock does work well, they are kinda pricey and after going through a few inserts, I don't use them anymore. I just crack open the bottom of the visor to vent some air in and it gets rid of the fogging.

Face might get a bit wet in the rain, but meh....

So sayeth the God of riding in the rain. No further discussion required.

The main reason i switched from my old Bell helmet (cheaper version, cant remember the name) is the transitions visor. Last winter i picked up Bell Star on sale in Royal Distributing. That was a BIG mistake. This helmet is just as LOUD as my previous cheap Bell. Apparently the original price was 500$. I just dont understand how you can sell smth this loud for this money. I’m done with Bell but stuck with this one for another little while.

So sayeth the God of riding in the rain. No further discussion required.
Lol what?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I just use sunglasses for hot days with a smoke tint visor for all conditions, now got some goggles for rain/dust for the Arai XD-4. Have a Shoei RF-1200 with pinlock, never used it, contemplated the transitions shield however don't feel its worth it, esp since I like to use sunglasses of the bike anyway and on forest roads can leave the visor open and have the sunglasses on, which have taken a few bug hits

I just use sunglasses for hot days with a smoke tint visor for all conditions, now got some goggles for rain/dust for the Arai XD-4. Have a Shoei RF-1200 with pinlock, never used it, contemplated the transitions shield however don't feel its worth it, esp since I like to use sunglasses of the bike anyway and on forest roads can leave the visor open and have the sunglasses on, which have taken a few bug hits
Curious why you dont spring for a helmet with an internal visor, best of both worlds.

Curious why you dont spring for a helmet with an internal visor, best of both worlds.

Maybe in the future, however I'm not a fan of them, and since getting the XD-4, the peak, ability to use goggle and sunglasses, and comfort is so nice, I don't think i'd ever buy anything else. Like mentioned, off the bike and on I like to roll with sunglasses and use original 1980s raybans or randolphs with G15 lenses, no built in or transitions can match them, hence why pilots use them too.

The main reason i switched from my old Bell helmet (cheaper version, cant remember the name) is the transitions visor. Last winter i picked up Bell Star on sale in Royal Distributing. That was a BIG mistake. This helmet is just as LOUD as my previous cheap Bell. Apparently the original price was 500$. I just dont understand how you can sell smth this loud for this money. I’m done with Bell but stuck with this one for another little while.

Solution=ear plugs

You should be wearing them anyways imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Bell Rs2 is noisy, it's gotten worse over time. Mostly from the visor, it doesn't latch it just sits on the gasket. When I turn my head the pitch of the wind noise changes, lol. I'm hoping the Star DLX will be better with a latching visor. I use those amazon motorcycle specific earplugs and they help.

I like the look of the Star DLX, and am pretty much sold on it based on the visor and safety system. Just waiting to see if it goes on sale anytime soon.

Solution=ear plugs

You should be wearing them anyways imho

What about the radio? When i ride with my friend i cant even hear what he’s saying. And honestly i wanted to buy the helmet so i dont have to wear ear plugs. I dont think they are the most comfortable thing in the world.

What about the radio? When i ride with my friend i cant even hear what he’s saying. And honestly i wanted to buy the helmet so i dont have to wear ear plugs. I dont think they are the most comfortable thing in the world.
No helmet is quiet enough not to wear earplugs the wind noise is damaging your ears everytime. It is actually easier to listen to music etc with earplugs in for me. Or I also use plugphones.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I listen to music while riding and wearing earplugs with no issues...using a Scala solo and in-helmet speakers.

Back
Top Bottom