Transitions visors | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transitions visors

I picked up a Shoei GTA-Air 2 which has an internal flip visor. The stock is tinted but not sure if it’s the transition type.
I also got a night vision internal visor to swap out when needed.

The outside visor is clear.

I’ll see if the tinted is transition type

I really hope it works well as it wasn’t a cheap investment.

I'm just watching YouTube reviews. One guys says it takes almost a full minute for it to go from dark smoke to clear. No Bueno.

Also, they report issues at dawn & dusk where there is not enough light to trigger the photochromatic element, so you're stuck squinting through a clear shield at the rising or setting sun if it's in front of you.

Also... $200 USD.

Damn.

$200 USD.

I have a transitions lens for my Bell helmet that I haven't tried yet, but I can't imagine any of these problems being worse than my current situation with a fixed clear or dark tinted lens and having to swap back and forth. It also cost about the same as a fixed tinted lens.

By the way, I usually treat my lenses with Rejex to keep the water beading and the bugs sliding off. For those of you who have these transitions or photochromic lenses, have you had any issues with any treatments blocking the UV from activating the tint?

I have a transitions lens for my Bell helmet that I haven't tried yet, but I can't imagine any of these problems being worse than my current situation with a fixed clear or dark tinted lens and having to swap back and forth. It also cost about the same as a fixed tinted lens.

By the way, I usually treat my lenses with Rejex to keep the water beading and the bugs sliding off. For those of you who have these transitions or photochromic lenses, have you had any issues with any treatments blocking the UV from activating the tint?

Never used anything other than soap and water...but I’m old school .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is important. I tried a "safe for all lenses" cleaner and now it fogs up in colder temps, seems to have stripped whatever anti fog coating it had. I can see a bit of a distortion on some parts as well if I look at the lenses instead of through it. Definitely will only use soap and water from now on.
Never used anything other than soap and water...but I’m old school .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any comments on the visor pinlock technology.
Mine has it and just wondering if it really works in terms of anti-fog.
My previous helmet did not have this.

Pinlock works as long as the insert's seal holds up. In my experience, the inserts have a fairly short lifespan because of the way they mount behind the visor. Might not be an issue if you never swap inserts, but I've had a couple of mine deteriorate to the point where the seal wasn't perfect anymore and the visor would fog in front of the insert. I had a Transitions Pinlock insert ($$$) in an AGV GP-Tech, worked great for ~3 seasons.

Anyone have any comments on the visor pinlock technology.

Works great!

Until it doesn't.

Like anything, they're not lifetime, you will have to replace them eventually They last for quite a long time, I think I logged 10s of thousands of kms per Pinlock, most of them in the rain. Worked perfectly until one rain ride, the seal leaked and I watched the water slowly fill in between the visor and the pinlock like an aquarium. I'd tilt my head and watch the water slowly slosh around. It was kinda funny...

Last edited:

TBH you'll never go back to wearing a tinted visor. I've owned my transitions lens for about 5 years, the dark lens is sometimes too dark in the daytime if that makes any sense. I've always cleaned the visor with lemon pledge, it's done not damage. It's also quick to change tint if you are travelling through one of thousand tunnels we have in Ontario...:)

TBH you'll never go back to wearing a tinted visor. I've owned my transitions lens for about 5 years, the dark lens is sometimes too dark in the daytime if that makes any sense. I've always cleaned the visor with lemon pledge, it's done not damage. It's also quick to change tint if you are travelling through one of thousand tunnels we have in Ontario...:)
Lemon Pledge? Really?

I have used Invisible glass in the past and it worked well.

Rain didn't "stick" to the visor and it also was good to clean the buggs off.

Works great!

Until it doesn't.

Like anything, they're not lifetime, you will have to replace them eventually They last for quite a long time, I think I logged 10s of thousands of kms per Pinlock, most of them in the rain. Worked perfectly until one rain ride, the seal leaked and I watched the water slowly fill in between the visor and the pinlock like an aquarium. I'd tilt my head and watch the water slowly slosh around. It was kinda funny...

Did you have to replace the inner PinLock visor or just the pins that hold as.

After taking a close look at mine, I would expect the pins to last only so long. But I would also think that it is just the pins that need to be replaced.

My helmet actually came with a spare set.

Back
Top Bottom