Track bike build | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track bike build

Priller

Moved here over the winter from BC, and after spending the early summer coming to the dour realisation that Hamilton is a terrible location for decent twisty roads, I then spent the late summer cramming in as many track days as I could. I ride a 2018 Tuono with K-Tech suspension (cartridges and shock), which I dearly love, but have so far been unable to find any insurance that covers track days. It's awesome at the track, but I absolutely do not want to be chucking my baby away, and so I found myself being more conservative than I otherwise might be...

This led to the hunt for a track hack, something cheap and cheerful but with room for improvement. Straight line speed is less important to me than cornering ability, but I also wanted something with more grunt than a typical 2000's 600. I started by looking for an SV650, but prices were all over the map, and many were absolute dogs. I then upped stakes dramatically and started hunting for a 2nd gen Aprilia RSV1000R, but there was nothing local, and parts availability from Piaggio was a bit of a question mark. I ended up splitting the difference with was a dogged out 2001 RC51 (SP-1) that only cost marginally more than a dogged out SV would have.

The bad: It's been down on both sides, has (cracked) cheapo eBay fairings, has an eBay left side radiator, has eBay faux-Pazzo levers, and shows signs of having some seriously amateur wrenching done (damaged fasteners, chipped rims, poorly rerouted wires and lines, hacksaw rear fender removal, lots of electrical tape, etc.).

The good: it was cheap, the motor seems to run well enough (down about 3 psi front cylinder and 9 psi rear cylinder from 176 psi spec on a compression test), and the transmission shifts with precision. Comes with a set of (lightly damaged and in need of repacking) Jardine RT-One slip-ons to really max out the early 2000's AMA vibes. Also, saving an unloved pig is more fun than ruining something nice for the track.

Let the fun begin:

20201017_204310(1).jpg

Of course, I'm now spending way more on bits than I did on the bike, including:

- used SP-2 swingarm (lighter and longer)
- used SP-2 wheels (lighter, SP-1 wheels will get rain tires)
- Power Commander 5
- fork rebuild, K-Tech piston kit, new springs (to be done at Accelerated Technologies)
- used Penske 8987 rear shock (to be rebuilt and resprung at Accelerated Technologies)
- Flexi-Glass track fairings
- new braided lines front and rear
- used Oberon clutch slave cylinder
- used Scotts steering stabilizer
- used VFR shifter for GP shift

I'm trying to stop the spending until I actually ride the thing at the track, but I've got my eye on the usual track mods, including clip-ons, rearsets and slipper clutch. More likely this winter will be Brembo brake discs (possibly the Serie Oro) and Brembo 19x18 radial master cylinder. If I really want to push the boat out for brakes, I'll get some radial brake adapter brackets and throw on a set of M4's or M50's.

Any tips or advice from anyone who's done a similar conversion are more than welcome, especially from anyone who knows the bike. I'm not fussed about peak hp at this point, so engine mods are low on the list.

I've chucked my baby down the track, with case covers, frame/axle sliders, its usually very minor (broken shift/brake lever). Unless of course you high-side or chuck her into a wall. I take that risk however, I didnt buy a sweet bike to putter around on the street its whole life. The scratches add character :cool:

I've chucked my baby down the track, with case covers, frame/axle sliders, its usually very minor (broken shift/brake lever). Unless of course you high-side or chuck her into a wall. I take that risk however, I didnt buy a sweet bike to putter around on the street its whole life. The scratches add character :cool:

Fair enough, I suppose my risk aversion is higher! I've seen some pretty catastrophic damage from seemingly minor low sides, and other bikes look near immaculate. Luck of the draw, sometimes. My paddock neighbour had his heavily done-up R1 get shoveled out of the crash wagon in September at Shannonville after washing out the front on cold tires over the bump leading into turn 13. No highsides or walls involved, it just barrel rolled when it dug into the grass. Only the swingarm, frame and maybe the top end of the motor survived. I'm happy to deal with that on a $3,000 bike, less so on a $17,000 one...

As for the Tuono, the plan is to put on a set of the modified SW Motech Blaze luggage (or Hepco and Becker if I want hard luggage) and use it to do weekends and shorter tours to better riding roads. Ottawa Valley and eastern Ontario for now, then down through Ohio, Pennsylvania and as far south as the Carolinas when Covid loosens its grip on our lives. Puttering will still happen, as will the occasional track day when I want the high-tech experience, but it'll be kept to a minimum...

Whoa whoa whoa,,, “Unloved pig”??? That was the bike of my dreams in high school! I still drool over them on Kijiji from time to time and would love to build one as a track bike. Good luck with the build, looking forward to following along and hopefully see you out at Grand Bend or TMP in 2021.

Whoa whoa whoa,,, “Unloved pig”??? That was the bike of my dreams in high school! I still drool over them on Kijiji from time to time and would love to build one as a track bike. Good luck with the build, looking forward to following along and hopefully see you out at Grand Bend or TMP in 2021.

Ha! Pig seems to be the affectionate nickname it's earned from owners by being a bit porky and having a snout of sorts. There was a 20th anniversary ride to Deal's Gap called Pigfest 2020, for example. My example has definitely been unloved (9 owners and counting, according to the UVIP), though my plan is to change that.

It was definitely an object of desire for me, too, having been super into racing at the time. Canadian Superbike (Steve Crevier!), AMA (Miguel Duhamel!), WSBK (Colin Edwards!) and GP/MotoGP (never did love Rossi) were all in a heyday. I was a bit of a Honda fanboy, as my ultimate dream bike was (still is!) an RC30, so watching them do one on Ducati by turning the rules against them was fun. Plus, the 2002 season was one of the all-time best.

I'm showing my age, as an RC51 is as vintage now as a CB900F was in 2000. But as someone else put it recently, 30 years ago still feels like 1970 to me...

I started racing motocross back in 01-02 on a CR125 and that about when I got into WSBK so the RC51 affection was and still is strong.

I do laugh now watching YouTube stuff by 44Teeth, they did a budget bike battle on an 06 Gixxer 1K and an R1 and kept going on about how old and antiquated they were. In my mind anything in from the early 2000’s and up still seems new.

I started racing motocross back in 01-02 on a CR125 and that about when I got into WSBK so the RC51 affection was and still is strong.

I do laugh now watching YouTube stuff by 44Teeth, they did a budget bike battle on an 06 Gixxer 1K and an R1 and kept going on about how old and antiquated they were. In my mind anything in from the early 2000’s and up still seems new.
The correct term is obsolete. Nothing antiquated came from this century.

The flip side is that recent Revzilla video where the K5 lapped faster than the new Ducati. Sometimes less power is better if it's more usable. That said, I guarantee that average riders like Baron (and me) benefit a lot more from the electronic wizardry in modern bikes than fast guys like Zach and Ari...

I saw that one, it was great! For sure, the rider aids make it easier to make faster lap times for 90% of us.

Having gone back and rewatched it, I bet the problem is the electronically adjustable suspension on the Ducati. I remember reading a track test in a Brit magazine comparing the S1000R to the Tuono. One of the test riders was a fast ex-road racer, whose name I can't recall (Michael Rutter, maybe, or even John McGuinness?), and the Tuono absolutely destroyed the S1000 in lap times, way more than it should have based on the spec sheet. The racer said the e-suspension on the Beemer was too soft and adjustment too limited so it couldn't be dialed in like the old school clicker stuff...

Still, says a lot about the composure of that Gixxer. One of the all-time great bikes...

So I'm still waist deep in the old(ish) Honda, lots done but lots left to go.

The latest is enough valves are tight that I need to replace all the shims. The ones that aren't out of spec are right on the edge, so if I'm pulling cams, might as well get them all a wee bit on the loose side of spec to delay the next reshim as long as possible...

When I pulled the airbox to make checking the front cylinder easier, I discovered these:

20210209_191728.jpg

Yep, those are peanuts. Two of them, sitting in the crotch of the v-twin. Lord knows how long they've been there. They seem to be joined by the remnants of some sort of terrycloth. Who eats peanuts while working on a bike? Somehow, based on the endless evidence of brutal mechanical care, I'm not surprised...

Here's a few more pics of the slow progress:

Body work off to begin finding all the nasty surprises:
20201025_203321.jpg

OEM shock out with pre-rebuilt used Penske for comparison:
20201107_212713.jpg

Forks out, ready to join the shock on trip to Buckhorn for Accelerated Technologies to work their magic:
20201107_224919.jpg

Caliper rebuilds while I wait for the suspension:
20201129_193129.jpg

Suspension back, SP-2 swingarm installed (complete with custom case bushings courtesy of Quadra Machining in Whitby), SP-2 wheels installed, Dunlop Q4's courtesy of Ace Moto Tech, new Brembo Serie Oro discs all around, Sunstar 520 sprockets, new cush rubber etc.:
20210203_214741.jpg

Forks in, rebuilt, respring, Ohlins piston kit added, top-out springs shortened, Galfer superbike lines dry fit:
20210203_214212.jpg
Penske 8987 in place, complete with new extra stiff fat boy spring:
20210203_214319.jpg

Super sexy TSR rearsets, Oberon clutch slave cylinder and new braided clutch line, cutaway sprocket cover: 20210205_220043.jpg

Do you think MotionPro sells a peanut remover tool?

20210209_191748.jpg

The to-do list is still crazy long:

- install Moriwaki thermostat delete
- install Samco hose kit
- install shark fin on swingarm
- check fuel tank for leaks (may be just old fuel pump gasket, fingers crossed)
- rebuild rear master cylinder
- install PSR mini rear brake reservoir
- install braided rear brake line
- replace valve shims
- repack ancient Jardine RT-One exhaust
- install Scotts steering damper (waiting for mount kit, big delays)
- install Durbahn high-mount frame sliders
- install Flexi-Glass track fairings and Fabbri tall race windscreen
- check clutch plate thickness, replace as necessary
- install Factory Pro Evo shift star
- install Apex GP-style adjustable clip-ons (delayed until black available)
- replace idle adjuster cable
- fabricate front brake reservoir bracket
- check fuel pump flow and regulator
- install PAIR block-off plates from Kyle Racing
- Replace rusty Power Commander III with new Power Commander V
- install DID ZVM-X 520 chain
- wire in soft limiter delete
- fill and bleed all hydraulics
- get rid of peanuts

Should be doable by May 1, but work keeps interfering and this cold snap is testing the limits of the radiant heater in the garage...

Thanks for the indulgence!

Last edited:
Mice put the nuts and cloth there look every where for chewed wires.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs
Good point. I didn't see much other evidence of mouse activity, though I'm now worried that what I assumed was grime is just old mouse poop (it's not round like I would expect, but it may have been bounced around a bit). Considering the condition of everything else, I've been keeping a close eye on the wiring, as I absolutely hate tracing faults, and so far it's looked okay. Side rads are coming off next to do the thermostat delete and Samco hose install, so that'll expose the last of it. Fingers crossed...

they are great handling bikes, find a flash or race ecu and get the rpm bumped up. a stocker makes the same power curve as a full blown superbike, untill the superbike pulls 4000rpm more

they are great handling bikes, find a flash or race ecu and get the rpm bumped up. a stocker makes the same power curve as a full blown superbike, untill the superbike pulls 4000rpm more
From what I've read, the race ECU's only work on the 'Basic Racer' or 'Complete Racer' packages sold by HRC, as they use different sensors than the street bike and need the race wiring harness. Of course, this is based on forum posts elsewhere, which can be less than reliable (as this place proves daily!) While I'd love to have those for future mods, anything original with HRC or Akrapovic stamped on it has become insanely expensive these days, and this project was originally intended to be budget with an SV650 as the base bike.

There's actually what may be a basic racer (no VIN) on Kijiji right now, which is killing me because it would've been such a better buy than what I ended up doing, but it just doesn't make sense to have two. And I have to admit, there's been some satisfaction in taking this unloved one and finding the best in it.

For now, I'm focused on suspension, handling and losing unsprung weight (cheaply - no BST rims). I just want linear and tractable power that I can learn with. I'm also trying to keep the motor reliable to minimise rebuilds, as I'd like to keep major surgery to the offseason if possible, so I'm just going to do a mild PCV dyno tune once it's up and running.

4000 more? yikes. I assume they do something with valves/springs to let that happen?

Back
Top Bottom