Towing a log splitter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Towing a log splitter

ifiddles

Hubby's friend is buying a gas powered log splitter that has a hitch attached to it and is towable...we have a Ram1500 with a hitch so hubby was going to tow it for him from the store to his friend's house (approximately 25 km)...did a search on the internet but only found US information...does the splitter need a license plate like a trailer?...hubby plans on calling Service Ontario on Monday, but I thought I'd throw this out here to see if anyone knows...TIA

A trailer needs a plate if you pull it on the road. If it is moving once a short distance, I might not bother paying the $25.

had a log splitter delivered to the cottage a few weeks ago. Will double check with dad but 99% sure it had a plate on it.

EDIT: did not have a plate on it, no lights or wiring harness.

Last edited:
Unless the laws have changed, a log spliter is like an air compressor, welder etc. no plate or lights needed.

It's not a trailer so instead it's a piece of mobile equipment. Add asphalt kettles and cement mixers to the list. That is in Ontario. Other jurisdictions, other rules. If towing at night I would get temporary lights.

I assume the Ram 1500 has a lighting harness. With a lot of vehicles today you can't splice into the existing lights unless you want to spend a grand or more on a module.

I used to drive a tandem water truck for road construction, charging hydrant lines, and de-watering foundation work etc
considered to be an off road vehicle; permitted to run cheap coloured diesel
drove it all over the GTA - no plates 2+ years- never a problem

Last edited:
@gsxr guy
Do you know where I can find that law in writing?...might be good to have a copy or bookmarked in case he gets pulled over...

Yes, the Ram is properly equipped for pulling a trailer with proper lighting harness and e-brake controller (we use it to tow our 6x10 cargo trailer and bikes when we travel to the US)

I have never seen a plate on a logsplitter or anywhere to mount one. Lots of them being towed all over the country.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

I used to drive a tandem water truck for road construction, charging hydrant lines, and de-watering foundation work
drove it all over the GTA - no plates 2+ years
They closed that loophole a couple of years ago now all that stuff needs plated and insured.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

You're going to be able to see the tail lights of a Dodge Ram around your typical towable log splitter. I have seen larger industrial ones being towed by professional arborists with lights, but those are big machines being used commercially. A reflector may be required on one of the smaller ones. It's not a bad idea to put a triangle or some reflective tape on the back frame of one, regardless.

You're going to be able to see the tail lights of a Dodge Ram around your typical towable log splitter. I have seen larger industrial ones being towed by professional arborists with lights, but those are big machines being used commercially. A reflector may be required on one of the smaller ones. It's not a bad idea to put a triangle or some reflective tape on the back frame of one, regardless.
Don't put a triangle on it that is a huge fine if caught over 30 kmph triangle means slow moving vehicle and that can and do enforce it.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I used to drive a tandem water truck for road construction, charging hydrant lines, and de-watering foundation work etc
drove it all over the GTA - no plates 2+ years- never a problem
Yes that has since changed. The new rules basically forced my buddies dad into retirement after running his 30 ton crane on the road for 30 years with no plates/ stickers, etc etc. Not cheap to run a legit business in Ontario these days.

Put it in the box of the truck if you're really concerned. I don't think the splitter is longer than 8 feet. Or is it a car with an open trunk?

Back
Top Bottom