Tow Truck Turf War | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow Truck Turf War

wow I haven't been following this topic too closely, and ya all have great points and experience with all this nonsense.
All I have to add is a CAA membership is looking like a real deal now, and must have to avoid all of this.
I thought CAA wouldn't help in a crash? I could be wrong. One thing I did learn from by brothers incident is even if you are driving a beater, try to keep collision on so that the vultures extort the insurance company, not you.

How about a flat fee to tow a vehicle to a safe spot off the highway so it can reopen.
Some jurisdictions have highways patrolled by government tow trucks.
You break down? The truck is there is a couple of minutes, sent by the camera monitors, to tow you to a government impound lot.
Collision? Tow trucks appear, takes some pictures, quickly gathers pertinent evidence, and then tows you to impound lot.
Keeps the highways moving and, more importantly in the context of this discussion, removes the pressure of the situation. You don't have to make any decisions RIGHT NOW, the car is going to impound, you have 24hrs to figure out your next move.
The tow truck's mission is to get the highway moving, not trying to capitalize on the situation. The tow truck driver is getting paid the same if he is sitting waiting or pulling cars off the highway.

This model doesn't really work off highway though....

Yes the problem is very multifaceted.

Like others here noted, insurance is getting ripped off by all this but they just don't seem to care much as they just push premiums up (use it as an excuse). Same with all the physio crap etc. They could crackdown, but they don't in any meaningful way. If anyone tries, well this:

I have no problem with the government taking this all over, having accident trucks for car and truck collisions. Again, like others noted, tow to impound then insurance/owner can deal with getting it to a shop of choice. Government to charge back a flat fee. Might be the only workable solution to reset it.

As for CAA. I have it but last year (pre COVID) I ran out of gas on the QEW (car) got it into the weigh station. Took forever for them to find me (even though I gave the person on the phone exact instructions). The driver was looking someplace completely different as thats what they were told. Then the driver had no gas, not even a gas can! Did not know I was out of gas. Drove me to a gas station, for me to buy a gas can and the gas, they had no gas cans. We ended up using an empty oil container... total **** show. It thought about rasing stink but it was the drivers first day on the job so I also felt bad for the situation they put him in. Even if they did, not sure they have the capacity to respond to accidents.

Yes the problem is very multifaceted.

Like others here noted, insurance is getting ripped off by all this but they just don't seem to care much as they just push premiums up (use it as an excuse). Same with all the physio crap etc. They could crackdown, but they don't in any meaningful way. If anyone tries, well this:

I have no problem with the government taking this all over, having accident trucks for car and truck collisions. Again, like others noted, tow to impound then insurance/owner can deal with getting it to a shop of choice. Government to charge back a flat fee. Might be the only workable solution to reset it.

As for CAA. I have it but last year (pre COVID) I ran out of gas on the QEW (car) got it into the weigh station. Took forever for them to find me (even though I gave the person on the phone exact instructions). The driver was looking someplace completely different as thats what they were told. Then the driver had no gas, not even a gas can! Did not know I was out of gas. Drove me to a gas station, for me to buy a gas can and the gas, they had no gas cans. We ended up using an empty oil container... total **** show. It thought about rasing stink but it was the drivers first day on the job so I also felt bad for the situation they put him in. Even if they did, not sure they have the capacity to respond to accidents.
Haha, I got locked out of a rental truck in rural SK. Thank god it was flat. Tow truck driver somehow could not follow directions. We stood on the roof of the truck and talked him in from kilometers away. We'd tell him to turn left, he'd make a right. Just painful but at least we could see him and get him to correct his course.

I thought CAA wouldn't help in a crash? I could be wrong. One thing I did learn from by brothers incident is even if you are driving a beater, try to keep collision on so that the vultures extort the insurance company, not you.
My understanding as well, CAA not responding to crashes. If, for a beater, do you pay a couple of hundred a year to the insurance extortionist or keep the money in your wallet for the extortionist with a truck? If you don't have a crash more than once a year it favours getting ripped off on the road.

Walking away and letting an impound yard keep the car worries me. If they charge $50 a day storage and the car is still sitting in their yard three years later that's a $50,000 tab they could go after. Even a month it's $1500 and they only get $100 for the car they go after you for the $1400. Maybe if you don't have a pot to pee in you don't worry but if you have a regular job, saving, new car, house.........

If, in the event of a not-at-fault crash, a car ends up in impound and the settlement drags on who picks up the storage tab?

Why are we forced to think about these things Mr. Ford?

My understanding as well, CAA not responding to crashes. If, for a beater, do you pay a couple of hundred a year to the insurance extortionist or keep the money in your wallet for the extortionist with a truck? If you don't have a crash more than once a year it favours getting ripped off on the road.

Walking away and letting an impound yard keep the car worries me. If they charge $50 a day storage and the car is still sitting in their yard three years later that's a $50,000 tab they could go after. Even a month it's $1500 and they only get $100 for the car they go after you for the $1400. Maybe if you don't have a pot to pee in you don't worry but if you have a regular job, saving, new car, house.........

If, in the event of a not-at-fault crash, a car ends up in impound and the settlement drags on who picks up the storage tab?

Why are we forced to think about these things Mr. Ford?
It's a devil you know situation. Insurance company charges you $200 a year. Towing hopefully happens much much less often, but there is no limit on the bill, it could easily absorb a decade of insurance premiums in a single incident, That doesn't even account for the ancillary charges associated with an incident such as guardrail repair and emergency response.

It's a devil you know situation. Insurance company charges you $200 a year. Towing hopefully happens much much less often, but there is no limit on the bill, it could easily absorb a decade of insurance premiums in a single incident, That doesn't even account for the ancillary charges associated with an incident such as guardrail repair and emergency response.

True. What I like about insurance is the situation, it's their lawyer against the other guy's lawyer not my lawyer against the other guy's lawyer

Well if anybody had doubts about how criminal that industry can be ….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
At least in this case we're lucky to see some of these criminals are idiots. Who's dumb enough to record that and more importantly KEEP the video.

Last I checked 'it doesn't matter if you tried, it matters if you finished the work I paid you for'.

'Hey boss, I really really tried to shoot her...I promise! See see...you can hear my gun jam'.
'Why didn't you just reload / recock and try again?'
'What do you mean? I tried...I really did. Please don't kill me'.

At least in this case we're lucky to see some of these criminals are idiots. Who's dumb enough to record that and more importantly KEEP the video.

Last I checked 'it doesn't matter if you tried, it matters if you finished the work I paid you for'.

'Hey boss, I really really tried to shoot her...I promise! See see...you can hear my gun jam'.
'Why didn't you just reload / recock and try again?'
'What do you mean? I tried...I really did. Please don't kill me'.
I find it extremely difficult to take that video at face value, because WHY WOULD YOU RECORD THIS. It feels like a setup

Another Towing Wars shooting last night.

Another Towing Wars shooting last night.
It would be rough trying to be an honest business amongst the crooks (no idea if that comment has anything to do with last nights shooting or if it was crook on crook).

A friend had a towing company outside of the GTA. Super honorable and trustworthy guy. Sadly, medical complications caught up to him and he died. When his wife put the business up for sale, the highest offers by far were from some questionable operators in the GTA who wanted more territory. She sold to a family business for far less as she felt that would better continue the legacy and serve the local community instead of extorting them.

From what I've been told, it's mostly Russian mob money in cahoots with certain auto body shops. That's why, if at all possible use CAA.

From what I've been told, it's mostly Russian mob money in cahoots with certain auto body shops. That's why, if at all possible use CAA.
Sri lankans have some dirt too. Not sure if they are guns and fires or if they are just graft. Then there's just the average tow scumbags. My SIL got towed off the 401 after a crash. By the next morning, there were three invoices for three different companies (dispatch, tow and storage all pretending to be independent).

Agreed. CAA for peace of mind, use them to tow my bikes around when needed.

By the way, if you do have a vehicle in storage, don’t tell CAA that’s where you’re taking it. Driver gave me the 411 on that policy and a wink that showed he personally didn’t care.

The CAA guys getting paid , he doesn’t care , but he answers to people that care so he’s careful . Mostly hes happy to help you out .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom