Total loss on my bike...looking for the next one | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Total loss on my bike...looking for the next one

Get a loan asap.
Personally, not a Triumph fan at all, but even at full asking price, that pictured bike (675R) is a steal of a deal.
If it can be had for $8500, I'll take a dozen.
You might find a new one for $15K, but probably closer to $17K.

Exactly. Someone needs to knock some sense into this broad. Where the hell is a strap-on when you need it!

That means nothing. I was present when a friend was quoted a price for a 190 rear tire, in Alabama, that would have covered dealer price for a rear and two fronts, up here. Who has one, here, and has paid for a valve job?
I haven't done the valve inspection on my VFR, but with all the time I spend on the different VFR boards, that $1600 job was out of line. Most owners were getting the service done in the $800 range (which still ain't cheap).

And to support a previous point, if you find a Ninja 650 a bit unwieldy, you will not like hefting a VFR.

I haven't done the valve inspection on my VFR, but with all the time I spend on the different VFR boards, that $1600 job was out of line. Most owners were getting the service done in the $800 range (which still ain't cheap).

And to support a previous point, if you find a Ninja 650 a bit unwieldy, you will not like hefting a VFR.

I definitely agree about the VFR. I had a '00 and traded it in on a ER-6n (essentially a naked Ninja 650R), and the new bike is trivial to move around by comparison. The newer 800 is even heavier than mine was.

the 675r is so sweet
i was going to buy one as well, but insurance kept me away

state farm wanted an extra $450 a year for the 675r compared to my zx6r

the 675r is so sweet
i was going to buy one as well, but insurance kept me away

state farm wanted an extra $450 a year for the 675r compared to my zx6r

The extra $7K for the 675R didn't bother you, but 450 bucks a yr to insure it was a deal breaker? Serious?

How old are you? Have you got some quotes from State Farm? Their rates are amazing on SS's!! My GF who just got her bike license three months ago insured her 09 R6 for $137/mo! I just got my 09 R6S for $117/mo with not such a stellar driving record :)

Call Katherine at (866) 930-1221 or e-mail Katherine@greglewis.ca for an instant quote, and if it looks good she can have your pink slip in your hands in under an hour. It's totally insane! You don't need VIN#'s to get a quote, just give here your drivers license # and say "09 R6" and boom, she can quote you. Do $1000/$1000/$2M, no life insurance, no combo deals with home or car.

-Jamie M.
Yep I was with her too. Was paying $140/mo on my 650R with full coverage. She told me it would actually be less if I bought a 600cc supersport. I switched to ThePersonal because it seemed like I would be getting a better deal (StateFarm wanted to charge me $140/mo each for my Saab and Porsche while ThePersonal was $78 for the SAAB and $130 for the Porsche) but it doesn't really seem to be working out to that much savings so I might switch back.

She was really good at answering all the stupid questions I asked, lol. Although StateFarm really doesn't like mods (but I don't think ThePersonal does either) so that might be something to keep in mind. Told me anything lowered would not be insurable by them (and if someone did it without telling them, they would deny the claim), exhausts are iffy, and a Power Commander is even more iffy (couldn't get a straight answer about the exhaust and Power Commander).

I'm still always in the debate between upgrading the suspension on the 650R or buying something "better". The problem is, I don't really want/need the power of a supersport or their aggressive seating position but they tend to have the better suspensions and get a lot more "respect" (not that I care about that all that much) than a non-supersport.

Yep I was with her too. Was paying $140/mo on my 650R with full coverage. She told me it would actually be less if I bought a 600cc supersport. I switched to ThePersonal because it seemed like I would be getting a better deal (StateFarm wanted to charge me $140/mo each for my Saab and Porsche while ThePersonal was $78 for the SAAB and $130 for the Porsche) but it doesn't really seem to be working out to that much savings so I might switch back.

She was really good at answering all the stupid questions I asked, lol. Although StateFarm really doesn't like mods (but I don't think ThePersonal does either) so that might be something to keep in mind. Told me anything lowered would not be insurable by them (and if someone did it without telling them, they would deny the claim), exhausts are iffy, and a Power Commander is even more iffy (couldn't get a straight answer about the exhaust and Power Commander).

I'm still always in the debate between upgrading the suspension on the 650R or buying something "better". The problem is, I don't really want/need the power of a supersport or their aggressive seating position but they tend to have the better suspensions and get a lot more "respect" (not that I care about that all that much) than a non-supersport.

Watch out with the personal, every call to them after a single claim (even calls not in regards to the claim) were extremely hostile on their part.

Watch out with the personal, every call to them after a single claim (even calls not in regards to the claim) were extremely hostile on their part.
Haven't had to make a claim with them yet. I did awhile back on my car when it was insured with Wawanesa and the experience was so terrible I left them for ThePersonal as soon as I could.

Another option, if you find the 650R a little unwieldy, could be the F800 series from BMW. Their fuel tank is a little lower I think (under the seat) which would mean a lower centre of gravity which might help. I think it weighs like 20 lbs less as well (might be wrong about that).

I just picked up a red and black 2010 SFV650 Gladius with ABS for $7167 out the door. Fantastic bike, I got way more than I bargained for.

Street Triple R

Dude, listen to this. I have personal horror stories from The Personal that would make you switch insurance companies in a heartbeat.

Although StateFarm really doesn't like mods ... exhausts are iffy, and a Power Commander is even more iffy.
They didn't seem to have an issue when I wrote my bike off July 17th of this year. Faxed em the receipts for my super illegal Yosh R-55 full system, DDM HID kit, 520 chain and +3 rear, braided lines, Woodcraft cover, Pazzo's, etc. They covered everything, no questions asked.

-Jamie M.

Street Triple R
Gotta link a pic in there when you throw out names like that, for the peeps that are unfamiliar!

2010-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-Images.jpg

-Jamie M.

Did you tell them about mods when you originally insured with them????

Jenn

They didn't seem to have an issue when I wrote my bike off July 17th of this year. Faxed em the receipts for my super illegal Yosh R-55 full system, DDM HID kit, 520 chain and +3 rear, braided lines, Woodcraft cover, Pazzo's, etc. They covered everything, no questions asked.

-Jamie M.

Did you tell them about mods when you originally insured with them????

Jenn

I called them a while ago to see i they would cover any "accessories" in case of a write off, and they never asked for a specific list of "upgrades"... I was told to keep all receipts and they will have no problem covering any losses.

A good friend is looking to sell his VFR800. I think it's a 2006 or so, silver, no mods or anything that I know of. Never dropped/raced/abused. Not sure what he wants for it but could inquire. He is in London, Ont. but could arrange something.

If you could ask that'd be great. i was looking at older VFR's they are sweet..

@lunatic...OMG...I was checking online at Ann Arbor...Holy hell some sweet *** vfrs!!

Back
Top Bottom