Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tory takes aim at noisy motorcycles

I never knew a by-law had been revised with the sound limit? Do you have a source?
From what I gather its up to the officers discretion. If they are in their patrol car, windows up and can hear the muffler then its too loud. lol
Such nonsense. There should be a scientific measurement using a DB meter.
Effective Oct 1/19

Agenda Item History - 2019.EC3.6
34. Add a provision prohibiting sound from a motorcycle if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dB(A) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50cm, while the motorcycle engine is at idle.

Noise laws are insignificant compared to federal law which very clearly forbids any form of tampering with a vehicles emission control equipment.
Again, laws mean nothing without enforcement. I have only ever heard of this being enforced at scale once (at Cayuga) and I think that caused more trouble than it was worth.

Again, laws mean nothing without enforcement. I have only ever heard of this being enforced at scale once (at Cayuga) and I think that caused more trouble than it was worth.
Tell that to all the diesel pickup truck owners that are getting nailed.
... I promise not to laugh and say I told you so 'when' it starts happening to motorcycles.

Reactions: J_F
Effective Oct 1/19

Agenda Item History - 2019.EC3.6
34. Add a provision prohibiting sound from a motorcycle if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dB(A) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50cm, while the motorcycle engine is at idle.
They are concerned about noise at WOT but choose to measure it while at idle and not even revving in neutral.
92DB sounds like a lot for any idling vehicle. Maybe Im misjudging this because 50cm is fairly close.

Tell that to all the diesel pickup truck owners that are getting nailed.
... I promise not to laugh and say I told you so 'when' it starts happening to motorcycles.
Yup, same issue there. The conspicuous few that need to be giant dbags and roll coal get a blitz for everybody. Personally, if you are so egregiously giving the finger to the laws (rolling coal, gp exhaust, straight pipe etc. vs tune, slip on, etc) I have no problem with you going to argue in front of a JP why you should be allowed to put your vehicle back on the road and an inspection is required if the JP agrees, otherwise the vehicle gets branded and it becomes offroad use only. That might actually make people think about their choices. These $155 by-law fines really are a waste of time.

They are concerned about noise at WOT but choose to measure it while at idle and not even revving in neutral.
92DB sounds like a lot for any idling vehicle. Maybe Im misjudging this because 50cm is fairly close.
I tested all of Brian P's bikes years ago. IIRC, there was one factory exhaust, one slip on and one full exhaust. All easily passed. The ones that fail will be ones that are actively trying to be pricks (GP exhaust and straight pipes).

They are presently nailing cottagers for putting sand too close to lakes and swamp land, how long will it be before feds go after polluting motorcycles with vengeance, one, two or three riding seasons from now? Bearing in mind that by 2022 Costa Rica will have already banned gasoline and diesel combustion engines in new vehicles :| your 'improved' exhaust purchase may become very short lived, I would pass on the extended warranty.

someone tell that GoTrain driver not to hunk that horn when passing close to neighbourhoods.
I moved last week from Aurora, I was about 3 km from the go train station. The 6.30am train horns weren't so bad because the little big man across the street started his unmuffled Hemi Ram at 6am so I was already up by then. But that 11.30pm horn sounded like the War of the Worlds when I was trying to fall asleep.

They are presently nailing cottagers for putting sand too close to lakes and swamp land, how long will it be before feds go after polluting motorcycles with vengeance, one, two or three riding seasons from now? Bearing in mind that by 2022 Costa Rica will have already banned gasoline and diesel combustion engines in new vehicles :| your 'improved' exhaust purchase may become very short lived, I would pass on the extended warranty.
They would need to write into law that ANY non OEM emission or exhaust component is illegal. Nobody wants to spend thousands to repair OEM exhaust components when the aftermarket stuff suffices. It will piss off a lot of people and cost jobs, exhaust/muffler shops etc

He does know that he is the mayor of the biggest city in Canada...it's always going to be loud. Ticketing for loud car stereos? really

Most of my bikes have had an aftermarket exhaust of some type on them and will continue to do so. Same as fender eliminators, buy something reasonable and don't act like an idiot and you shouldn't have any problems.

They would need to write into law that ANY non OEM emission or exhaust component is illegal. Nobody wants to spend thousands to repair OEM exhaust components when the aftermarket stuff suffices. It will piss off a lot of people and cost jobs, exhaust/muffler shops etc
It is written that plain.
They even say what you can do, including replace broken units that are no longer available, or upgrade a bike that is very old,
but so far you have to want to know the information first, because like the man says they are not currently enforcing it.

I moved last week from Aurora, I was about 3 km from the go train station. The 6.30am train horns weren't so bad because the little big man across the street started his unmuffled Hemi Ram at 6am so I was already up by then. But that 11.30pm horn sounded like the War of the Worlds when I was trying to fall asleep.

I remember living in Newmarket near the Tannery 20 years ago. You could hear the train coming from Bradford-dude loved the horn, no snooze button.

Be careful what you wish for. They effectively BANNED motorcycles from downtown Quebec city (within the walls) because tools were having fun with their loud pipes middle of the night.

They're also pretty strict on anything modded on vehicles, that includes lowered cars. They're basically not allowed at all and they will enforce it.

It's happening. In this country. So we just gotta stop trying to push our luck and ruining it for everyone else.

I said it before and I'll say it again, just ban everything at once and become a total and undisputed nanny state, take away all the freedoms, rights, privileges, fun things, dangerous things, ban it all so we can all be nice and safe little citizens with our government mommy and daddy making sure we are all tucked in at night and safe.

This is the direction we're going in anyways in todays society, so why not speed it up.

P.S Motorcycles are dangerous as it is anyways, so why not just ban em and save countless lives and some tax payer dollars for medical as well (due to accidents). We don't need bikes anyways, it's a cold climate here. :rolleyes:

Amazing enough, motorcycles apparently pollute like crazy unless they apply drastic measures to make it do otherwise. That has not gone unnoticed on an international level.
They just slapped us with a federal carbon tax on fuel, said it before; where do you think all that tax money will go if not at least a big chunk of it going towards enforcement.

My stock CBR 600 RR makes 87dB .. just saying..

Amazing enough, motorcycles apparently pollute like crazy unless they apply drastic measures to make it do otherwise. That has not gone unnoticed on an international level.
They just slapped us with a federal carbon tax on fuel, said it before; where do you think all that tax money will go if not at least a big chunk of it going towards enforcement.

No no no. The biggest chunk of the carbon tax monies will go towards increasingly expensive research that “proves” that increasing the carbon tax will result in reduced greenhouse gases.

A small portion of the carbon tax will go towards the salaries and administration of a totally ineffective enforcement effort which will then require an expensive task force and more research to put a band-aid on the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said it before and I'll say it again, just ban everything at once and become a total and undisputed nanny state, take away all the freedoms, rights, privileges, fun things, dangerous things, ban it all so we can all be nice and safe little citizens with our government mommy and daddy making sure we are all tucked in at night and safe.

This is the direction we're going in anyways in todays society, so why not speed it up.

P.S Motorcycles are dangerous as it is anyways, so why not just ban em and save countless lives and some tax payer dollars for medical as well (due to accidents). We don't need bikes anyways, it's a cold climate here. :rolleyes:
And thats the thing.
The public just hates extremes

Extremely loud straight pipes on motorcycles
Extremely obnoxious cyclists who don't follow the rules
Extreme rambunctious rides of the 6ix riders
Extreme boy racers racing on the street a la F&F
Extremely offended people
Extremely ignorant people

If we keep taking an arm when they offer a hand, obviously they won't give anything to anyone. And that's when we go libertarian and figure $hit out by ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom