Toronto to New York City | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to New York City

viv901

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip to New York City and would like to explore upstate New York and some scenic routes. I am looking at 4 days in total. Planning it during Good Friday/christmas. I want to explore Manhattan too on motorcycle. Does any one have any suggestion on routes.

Toronto isn’t known as a destination for most motorcyclist. The same can be said for NYC. It’s more of a fly in and fly out kind of place.

I have driven to Boston through NY State and the Interstate was scenic for some of it. But not something I wanted to return with my motorcycle with.

Fingers crossed you’ll get some decent positive feedback on routes from TO to NYC.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused. You're coming to NY but want to go from Toronto TO new york?

And at Christmas? Not a good time of year for motorcycling unless you're into frostbite and wrecking every time you hit a patch of snow.

As for riding IN Manhattan, that wouldn't be high on my list of enjoyable things to do. Streetcar tracks everywhere (streetcar tracks like to gobble up motorcycle tires if you're not insanely careful), and drivers that generally DGAF.

Rode into Manhattan in 2008 on my ST1300 with three other buddies.Try to spend some time in the Hudson River Valley especially around Rhinebeck, it’s absolutely beautiful there. As for riding into Manhattan ,I’m Glad I did it once but wouldn’t do it again.Iwould highly recommend that when you leave to go onto Long Island and ride through the Hamptons and north to Montauk.From there you can take a ferry back to the mainland to New London (Connecticut I think).I think it’s the US Navy’s main base for submarine operations. Real good submarine museum there.Having said that I much prefer Boston /Cape Cod to New York. New York is just a little too crazy for me.

I think I should have been more clear..I am planning to go in April. NY city is the destination..the idea is to go through scenic routes of New York and Penn State. Thats the reason I reached out to see if any one has any recommendations on the route.

I think I should have been more clear..I am planning to go in April. NY city is the destination..the idea is to go through scenic routes of New York and Penn State. Thats the reason I reached out to see if any one has any recommendations on the route.
I'd suggest taking a route through the Adirondacks/Lake Placid on your way there, pass down through Hawk's Nest and arrive in NY City.
Something like: Toronto to New York

Then on your way home, take a route through Pennsylvania including PA125 through Shamokin and then the upper goodies.
Something like: New York to Toronto

In New York, the Adirondacks are really nice and worth riding through, but remember that anywhere remote and at elevation may be cold in April.

A while ago I started working on this but haven't updated it with the missing states. You'll see Pennsylvania is done, but not New York, VT or NH:

Safe Trip!

just looked at a map with regards to NY... is it just me or do the appalachians really reach all the way up to maine? and all the way down to north georgia?

just looked at a map with regards to NY... is it just me or do the appalachians really reach all the way up to maine? and all the way down to north georgia?
Look up "Appalacian Trail".

very very long indeed.

We rode into Manhattan once, during a US Labor Day long weekend. The island can get pretty crowded normally, but during the holidays, most of the residents go off to the Hamptons for the long weekend and we actually were able to zoom around empty streets in Times Square.

101555454_wqJe2-L.jpg

101555325_uv6mZ-L.jpg

NYC is not really a motorcycle destination, but we were able to turn the trip into a big loop, from Toronto up to the Ottawa Valley, dropping down from Sherbrooke, into the White Mountain Forest in NH then to the Green Mountain National Forest in VT. Lots of good riding there.

Then we pit-stopped in Manhattan to catch a Broadway show and enjoyed a night out on the town. Then headed back through the Finger Lakes area in upstate NY, then entered back into Canada via Niagara. Nice four day weekend loop.

I'd suggest taking a route through the Adirondacks/Lake Placid on your way there, pass down through Hawk's Nest and arrive in NY City.
Something like: Toronto to New York

Then on your way home, take a route through Pennsylvania including PA125 through Shamokin and then the upper goodies.
Something like: New York to Toronto

In New York, the Adirondacks are really nice and worth riding through, but remember that anywhere remote and at elevation may be cold in April.

A while ago I started working on this but haven't updated it with the missing states. You'll see Pennsylvania is done, but not New York, VT or NH:

Safe Trip!
Plus 1 for PA125
Shamokin is a hurting coal town but that doesn't detract at all from the 125. Be alert though. I remember cresting a hill to find a near 90 degree bend just over the top. But that goes for anywhere I suppose.

though. I remember cresting a hill to find a near 90 degree bend just over the top.

I almost ate that guardrail there. I was totally digging all the squirlies we’d been carving all day and that one caught me off guard.

It was a definite “Look, Lean, Believe” moment where the advanced rider training I’d taken kicked in. 😉

Last edited:
There's no better resource for what you're looking for than the New England Rider's website. Maps, routes, downloadable GPX files, recommended stops/food/sites/accommodations. Consider VT...the scenery and route options are some of the best in the NE...although perhaps not in April. And, fwiw, Manhattan is best explored by transit, taxi, and foot. I lived in NJ for many years and never had a desire to ride into the city. If you do go through NY state, consider 9N and 9W/Palisades Pkwy combo instead of the interstate (87) which is the preferred route used by semis and other commercial vehicles.

And don't ride at dusk and dawn ....epic amounts of deer everywhere even on the slab and crazy in any park roads.

Also NY State has a ticket agreement with Ontario unlike PA.
I'd go down to PA then across to NYC. Coudersport ...have fun on 44/144 then across to NYC
Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at Feb, 26    2022    12.31.32 PM.jpg
No cop worries outside New York State and some lovely roads. Fond memories.
Then come up through New England which I've spent almost zero time in and won't be :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at Feb, 26    2022    12.27.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at Feb, 26 2022 12.27.24 PM.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom