Tool Time - What's in your box? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tool Time - What's in your box?

Mad Mike

As we head into the offseason, it's time for projects and garage time. Most of us have tools, some too many, some never enough. How about sharing a little information on your stuff?

Post a tool (not your whole garage), let the rabble guess what it is. Or just tell us. If you have the same or alternative tool, reply with a pic of yours.

I'll start, I have one of these -- not used often but handy if you need one.

1668101256257.png

Is this like photo tag where I need to have a pic ready to go before I can answer?

Edit:

mike has a tool for removing buggered studs.

20221110-125518.jpg

Last edited:
It's easy to figure out what this thing is since the name is printed right on it. But I use it for a specific motorcycle purpose that's worth a guess:

winbag.jpg

For Mad Mike:
Stud installer or removal tool
... and not a very good one. The grip isn't strong enough to torque the stud down and they tear up the thread or shank of the stud on removal.
These are worse... especially when removing head or cylinder studs. You get reefing on it and it twists and scores up the gasket surface
I usually make something like this to install, to remove a stuborn stud I weld a nut on the stud (the heat helps).

For Mad Mike:
... and not a very good one. The grip isn't strong enough to torque the stud down and they tear up the thread or shank of the stud on removal.
These are worse... especially when removing head or cylinder studs. You get reefing on it and it twists and scores up the gasket surface
I usually make something like this to install, to remove a stuborn stud I weld a nut on the stud (the heat helps).
I wouldn't use mike's tool to put a stud in. I normally doublenut but I like your long nut and bolt idea much better.

I change my own tires and I use the airbag shim thing when reinstalling the wheel. Slip the shim under the tire and pump it up to hold the wheel at the correct height without knocking the wheel spacers, brake pads, caliper or axle adjusters out of place. Works really well. Makes reinstalling the wheel 90% less frustrating.

Here's two tools that are used doing the same task.

Attachments

• 20221110_135615.jpg
    20221110_135615.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 38
For Mad Mike:
Close... Stud Removal Tool -- if you tried to install, you'd rip the threads off your stud.
1668109519832.png

It's easy to figure out what this thing is since the name is printed right on it. But I use it for a specific motorcycle purpose that's worth a guess:

View attachment 58349
Those are great. I use one of those to hang doors.

Is this like photo tag where I need to have a pic ready to go before I can answer?

Edit:

mike has a tool for removing buggered studs.

20221110-125518.jpg
I think I have one of those in my old Eurobox - it's a spreader socket for removing bolted collars. Useful for removing a shock from the strut housing.

1668112070967.png

Last edited:
I have a collection of home made tools for disecting different forks. Usually threaded rod with a ground down socket or nut welded on the end to hold the damper rod in place. I don't think a photo is really needed.....

I change my own tires and I use the airbag shim thing when reinstalling the wheel. Slip the shim under the tire and pump it up to hold the wheel at the correct height without knocking the wheel spacers, brake pads, caliper or axle adjusters out of place. Works really well. Makes reinstalling the wheel 90% less frustrating.

This was my guess as well. Great use, I'll have to get one as finagling with the wheel and axle can be a hassle.

Here are two improvised tools that I experimented with. Neither offers any functional advantage over their conventional commercial counterparts:
widgetsBC.jpg

I see some issues if this is the use but could sort of work for safety wire.
Yup, both are safety wire twisters. The one on the left offers a bit more control than conventional safety wire pliers and allows you to twist counter-clockwise if you want, but the time required to feed the wires through the hole makes them not worth using compared to pliers.

Back
Top Bottom