Tool for brake work | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tool for brake work

timtune

Site Supporter
I was reading a thread recently about not pulling the brake lever with the caliper off. Some mentioned shoving a sneaker between the bar and lever. So when I had to pull the caliper recently I made up this piece. I know it's pretty complicated but you only have to build it once.
I used 3/16 ply, harley and old cast iron vented disc Wing owners might need thicker ply

HPIM1045 (1).jpg

I have a scrap piece of plate aluminum wrapped in electrical tape. I put it between the pads and squeeze the lever. It won't fall out. When ready to reassemble, wiggled the plate to separate the pads and remove.

Your concept with the integrated hanging hole is a good improvement though and I wouldn't trust pressure alone in that setup so tying it is a good idea.

I bought that small tool to open up the pads once you swap them out. Be damned where it is but I need to find it as I’ll be doing my brakes soon. I think it was $10 or so.

I bought that small tool to open up the pads once you swap them out. Be damned where it is but I need to find it as I’ll be doing my brakes soon. I think it was $10 or so.
If you're dealing with calipers that only have pistons on one side, I normally use my hands (slow and gentle), channel locks (fast and easy may mark calipers if not careful) or c-clamps (easy and fast). Pistons on both sides of the caliper and a little more ingenuity is required (eg two cedar shims).

I'm confused as to how that stops you from squeezing the brake lever?

I was reading a thread recently about not pulling the brake lever with the caliper off. Some mentioned shoving a sneaker between the bar and lever. So when I had to pull the caliper recently I made up this piece. I know it's pretty complicated but you only have to build it once.
I used 3/16 ply, harley and old cast iron vented disc Wing owners might need thicker ply

View attachment 50558

Why do people touch stuff first and ask the question later?

"What's this?" as the parts hit the floor. Your day just got longer and uglier.

Why do people touch stuff first and ask the question later?

"What's this?" as the parts hit the floor. Your day just got longer and uglier.
My brother, who I love dearly, has a license and has owned two bikes but I think that's probably it for him. He still thinks they're cool, and whenever he swings by he usually can't walk past my bike without squeezing a lever. 99% of the time I have absolutely no problem with this, he has standing invite to ride it that he's never taken me up on, but I can just see him showing up on a day where one of the wheels are off and him absent-mindedly popping out some pistons

On the other hand, he's the one who is a real mechanic and he might feel bad and fix his own mess

My brother, who I love dearly, has a license and has owned two bikes but I think that's probably it for him. He still thinks they're cool, and whenever he swings by he usually can't walk past my bike without squeezing a lever. 99% of the time I have absolutely no problem with this, he has standing invite to ride it that he's never taken me up on, but I can just see him showing up on a day where one of the wheels are off and him absent-mindedly popping out some pistons

On the other hand, he's the one who is a real mechanic and he might feel bad and fix his own mess
Things you don't want to hear:

"Oh, the paint is wet"

"Wow is it ever fragile"

"How deep is the hole? Have you got a flashlight?"

"Can it be straightened?"

"Was it supposed to make that noise?"

"Was it supposed to come apart?"

I'm kinda confused on why anyone lets someone else touch a bike during maintenance.

My bike, my brakes etc. Go **** with your own ****, don't touch mine.

I'm on Baggsy's train of thought and put a twist of hunt flagging tape on my brake lever to remind myself. Touch my bike and I do have guns on site...jus'sayin'!

Last edited:
I keep these scraps on the shelf above the bench. Two for the front, one for the rear. IMG_20210921_214036587.jpg

Back
Top Bottom