Toni Sharpless Supersonic Road Race School | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toni Sharpless Supersonic Road Race School

So I went out today and I must say it was so much fun. I had more fun doing this than the Mosport parking lot course. Mosport worked well as it was a weekend and I didn't need to take a day off from work, but after today's session - I don't mind taking a day off and going to one of the go-kart tracks instead of the parking lot course.

It snowed in the morning for a bit...ya, that's right. The session started off really cold but as we got on the bikes and started drills, the sun came out and it got better. Doing circle drills I was able to get my left knee down (which is my preferred side) and with a lot of struggle a little bit of right knee down as well. While lapping, I only got my knee down once or maybe twice while going around.

There was one participant who was pretty good and got his elbow down which is insane. He didn't even drop the bike doing that lol. Overall, I'm pretty happy and sore - but will need a lot more practice. Riding out today to Brechin wasn't the smartest of ideas but I did something even dumber, checked out some roads around Gravenhurst that I have been wanting to for a while. Glad I made it home in one piece.

Here are a few pictures that were taken by me. Mike Bell, the instructor took the last shot of me going around the corner.

IMG_20211022_093312.jpg

IMG_20211022_093343.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the snowflakes. As soon as I got my phone out, the sun came out, and snowing stopped right after.

IMG_20211022_112957.jpg

Committing completely and going for that last bit seems like the hardest part for me. My upper body posture needs improvement.
6840407310691369926.jpg

I think they have an open lapping session on Sunday if anyone is interested.

Committing completely and going for that last bit seems like the hardest part for me. My upper body posture needs improvement.
I remember my instructors J.W. and Mike explaining that you have to make the commitment in getting your body in the correct position to get the knee down. It's definitely a learning experience and once you start to get it, you'll end up trusting the bike and yourself more to commit 😁.

I started to lean more with my head and upper body while practicing the drills. I tried to get my elbow to the ground but slipped lol (Photos attached). Far from perfect but I'll get better with practice.

I'm glad you had a great time at the go-kart track!
Maybe we'll be in the same class next season (plan to keep going...I love how you can just jump in when you have time).

Attachments

• Aki - 8.jpeg
    Aki - 8.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Aki - 1.jpeg
    Aki - 1.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Aki - 2.jpeg
    Aki - 2.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Aki - 6.jpeg
    Aki - 6.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 26
I started to lean more with my head and upper body while practicing the drills. I tried to get my elbow to the ground but slipped lol (Photos attached). Far from perfect but I'll get better with practice.

Maybe we'll be in the same class next season (plan to keep going...I love how you can just jump in when you have time).
That's great...I see that you nailed your body position (y)

For sure, next season some more practice - hopefully, we can coordinate and see if we can end up on the same day. Cheers!

On the theme of trusting yourself, I read The Inner Game of Tennis for the first time earlier this year and it played a big part in the track riding improvements I've made throughout this season. Highly recommended - it might be the best book ever written on high-performance motorcycle riding, and it doesn't even mention bikes once.
I actually ended up reading this book. It's a great read, thanks so much for recommending it.

I'll send you a pm, just wanted to chat with someone who has been on the track regarding some stuff that's mentioned in the book.

Cheers!

Just want to share this with anyone who wants to join my group day 😆:
Recently I have been pleasantly surprised with a generous offer from the Super Sonic Road Race School.

The school is offering me a BOGO deal for 2022 for a group of 10 (my group will pay for their session and get another school session free!!!!).

I have a few spots left for my group and wish to extend it to those who would really benefit from the two sessions and wish to keep growing in the sport.

Main things:
1) I don't know the dates yet. The school will know in the spring. Once she knows, she will send it to me and we can settle on a date (I will try to push for a weekend...possibly a Sunday for the group day but if you are flexible with taking time off work, that would help too)
2) Please do not ride to the school. Driving or carpooling would be best. A day of training can be tiring on the mind and body. I don't want to worry about people getting home safe.
3) Would love to give this opportunity to someone who really wants to learn and become a better rider (adult/teen/child) - no attitude/no expectations...priority will be given to women as I want to help support this area... but I am open to anyone who really wants to join. :)

So if you are a crazy as me and can go in blind for 2022, please send me a pm and tell me why you want to join. 😆

Please note: I do not get any kickbacks or bonuses from this. I just really love the school and the sport (and secretly trying to get others hooked on it...j/k! Just trying to get others to grow with the sport too 😉). The only kickback I would get is the same deal everyone will be getting in the group (which I'm totally ok with). Any payment will only be through the school.

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_222025_398.jpg
    IMG_20211111_222025_398.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211111_222025_432.jpg
    IMG_20211111_222025_432.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 19
@Saitou^.~ Would they rent their TTRs as well? Or you byob (bring your own bike) 😁

I don't mind joining, I actually enjoy falling off these smaller bikes lol. But if you want to keep it women's only, I totally understand and support it.

After my last session at Brechin, I actually did another 200 ish km ride (Germaine Rd, Doe lake rd, cooper falls). I regretted it on the way back home though, and the next couple of days. Was not a smart choice, but motorcyclists are not smart anyways. :p

@Saitou^.~ Would they rent their TTRs as well? Or you byob (bring your own bike) 😁

I don't mind joining, I actually enjoy falling off these smaller bikes lol. But if you want to keep it women's only, I totally understand and support it.

After my last session at Brechin, I actually did another 200 ish km ride (Germaine Rd, Doe lake rd, cooper falls). I regretted it on the way back home though, and the next couple of days. Was not a smart choice, but motorcyclists are not smart anyways. :p
Definitely this would be using their bikes (ttrs and the ohvales) and with instructors.

I slip too with their bikes and it's not bad at all (only a few inches from the ground lol).

Give me a few days and I'll let you know if I have room 😁

Would love to give this opportunity to someone who really wants to learn and become a better rider (adult/teen/child) - no attitude/no expectations...priority will be given to women as I want to help support this area... but I am open to anyone who really wants to join. :)
Thanks very much for sharing this with us! My wife might be interested if it's open to new riders and on a weekend. Her first and only time on a bike was last year - we did SMART Riding Adventures near Barrie (pic attached). She started off with the kids early in the morning and by late morning, I was genuinely struggling to keep up with her on the trail! We met Toni at Calabogie during a track day earlier this year and my wife had a long chat with her about coming out to the school, but unfortunately the dates just didn't work out for us. The other thing is that it's been really hard for her to make new friends in the city with COVID and all, so a group event with other women would be absolutely fantastic! I'd be happy to sit on the sidelines and play photographer for the day if it ends up being an all-women event - equally happy to participate and make up the numbers if needed.

Attachments

• 20211112_172624.jpg
    20211112_172624.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks very much for sharing this with us! My wife might be interested if it's open to new riders and on a weekend. Her first and only time on a bike was last year - we did SMART Riding Adventures near Barrie (pic attached). She started off with the kids early in the morning and by late morning, I was genuinely struggling to keep up with her on the trail! We met Toni at Calabogie during a track day earlier this year and my wife had a long chat with her about coming out to the school, but unfortunately the dates just didn't work out for us. The other thing is that it's been really hard for her to make new friends in the city with COVID and all, so a group event with other women would be absolutely fantastic! I'd be happy to sit on the sidelines and play photographer for the day if it ends up being an all-women event - equally happy to participate and make up the numbers if needed.
Definitely open to beginners/new riders.
I don't know which dates will offered until the spring (which is when Toni will be able to get the dates from the tracks). But she knows I'm pushing for a weekend day as many of us work during the week. It may be a Sunday.

I will send you a pm this weekend.. just need to go over the list. 🙂

For those with little ones/teens and considering this sport, help Toni by filling out her survey. She's trying to run a series for 10 to 14 years (and you can start training them at the school at age 5 😉):
Hello Moto People! We want to hear from Parents/Guardians of your Rider Candidates.
Survey : Canadian Nation Wide Arrive & Ride MiniGP Racing Program This is an exciting opportunity for Canada to have a world class race series, FIM miniGP Canada Cup. To move forward we need two things to happen:
1. Canada to be accepted by the FIM as one of the 30 participating countries (we have submitted our registration)
2. FIM says we need 15 riders aged 10 - 14 years old willing and able to participate. This is why we need to hear from all the rider candidates' Parents/Guardians from across Canada.
If you know a motocrosser who may want to try speed racing we can train them at the Super Sonic Road Race School SSRRS. The school will open in late April for Tryouts/Training. SSRRS Schedule to be posted in February 2022. Supersonicschool.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-063151_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-063151_Facebook.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1640259120529.jpg
    FB_IMG_1640259120529.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 9
Have 2 kids that are interested, unfortunately their respective parents do not think that this will be a go this year so are unwilling to sign up.

Budget racing "across canada". What do you think this would cost per youth?

Have 2 kids that are interested, unfortunately their respective parents do not think that this will be a go this year so are unwilling to sign up.

It would be best to contact Toni.

I know from last year when she was trying to plan the series before the shut downs, it was Ontario based (Go-kart locations would have been Brechin, Flamboro, Lombardy, etc).

I'm not sure what the locations would be... but it could still be Ontario based but recognized as a participant by the FIM.

As for cost, also best to contact Toni.
It could be minimal the cost for the race weekends - I don't know what the cost to participate would be.

Training would be extra... like if they were already active in the dirt, then hitting the trails may be less expensive. Doing some drills in a deserted parking lot may also help (in different weather conditions).
There's also the option to train at her school - and keep going when you can and have the funds. This year's prices was 299.00 a day training on a pit bike.

If you need her email, let me know and I can pm it to you. 🙂

I forgot to add, if your kids need practice but without the school and have their gear, there's always the option of renting an ohvale through Eurorace Canada on their track days.

I did this a few times just to get more practice and get a feel of the body position/bike. :)

Just wanted to post Toni's update for the race series. 🙂 (new update for the race schedule/ note added Jan 30)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-065218_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-065218_Facebook.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1643111547448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1643111547448.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1643496999718.jpg
    FB_IMG_1643496999718.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220129-175628_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220129-175628_Facebook.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Today stopped by Toni Shapless display at GPBikes in Oshawa.

They have their schedule for MiniSBK ready (see below) and those Race weekends will have Wed and Thu Super Sonic Road Racing School. Bad news (for me) as all those events are at Lombardy Raceway - long way from home…

They said no dates for Brenchin yet, probably in June… I was hoping to have some classes in May so I might be up for a trip, at least once in May I hope.

So, who else is excited to try (or do it again) these small fun bikes and learn something new?

Can‘t wait for this season to start!

1645918263270.jpeg

1645918222263.jpeg

They have some more dates up on the website (including Brechin now). Some late April dates if that works for you.
You got it, thanks - just checked and yes their new/updated website has dates - all three locations: Hamilton/Brenchin/Motorsport are ok for me, so I think i’ll try Motorsport in Apr and next L4 in Brenchin in May… that is if it’s not too cold or rainy on those days LOL

I went back again in May. Dragged a bunch of adults and kids with me lol.... most of them never been to this school or have never tried track before (or first time on a motorcycle/minimoto - the kids). Was really happy with their progress from the start to the end of the day. Everyone was pretty happy and the instructors were great (as always).

The track was mainly wet with on and off rain (which is always good to practice in...🙃👍)... until the last sessions at the end. I took my ohvale out in the final session to work more on muscle memory (also was waiting for the track to dry up as much as possible because of the slicks... all the instructors were kind and warned me to avoid the puddles).

Attachments

• 20220602_161429.jpg
    20220602_161429.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220602_161409.jpg
    20220602_161409.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220602_162314.jpg
    20220602_162314.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220602_161858.jpg
    20220602_161858.jpg