Thoughts on 2009 BMW G650X?

mimico_polak

Well-known member
Site Supporter
So just had a buddy shoot me a message if I’m interested in his 2009 BMW G650X with 20k.

Thoughts?
Reliability for older Germans? I know it was leaking oil before but he says it doesn’t now.

Includes a few accessories.

What would be an approximate price? He said around 7k which I feel is ridiculous.
 
what TK4 said, german parts arent cheap, only buy a used beemer at deep discount
 
But why? What does the BM bring to you that the Honda doesn't? I don't love the soulless honda but they are remarkably functional.

EDIT:
Boo. 200km range. No ABS, $11,500 canabux new. Used for 3500 to 5500 in Canada. I would be a hard pass at anywhere near his price. At $3500, I might think about it (but still probably keep the Honda and not buy this one).
 
This is the answer. The itch has started.

@GreyGhost the bike had ABS apparently, but a 200km range is def not enough.
hey I completely understand, im surprised I havent burned cash on a guzzi or ducati by now
 
This is the reason for the thread. To see if anyone can give insight…from the comments so far this is a no go.
being serious for a second, depends on what you want from your motorcycle,

it looks like a more dirt oriented bike than your cb500x, single cylinder, dirt bike looks, high ground clearance, 350lb wet weight etc etc

I see some pictures with a more road oriented tire, and some with knobbies
 
being serious for a second, depends on what you want from your motorcycle,

it looks like a more dirt oriented bike than your cb500x, single cylinder, dirt bike looks, high ground clearance, 350lb wet weight etc etc

I see some pictures with a more road oriented tire, and some with knobbies
@mimico_polak what are you looking for in a bike that is either different or your current ride doesn't offer you?

Also I sat on 2016 SDGT and what a stupid gas tank design for anyone over 5'10". I really liked the bike , but it's impossible to get your toe under the shifter without your knee hitting the flare of the gas tank. It would be an excellent bike for you though.
 
@mimico_polak what are you looking for in a bike that is either different or your current ride doesn't offer you?

Also I sat on 2016 SDGT and what a stupid gas tank design for anyone over 5'10". I really liked the bike , but it's impossible to get your toe under the shifter without your knee hitting the flare of the gas tank. It would be an excellent bike for you though.
The X does everything I want and it does it reliably.

I can’t put my finger on it but something is missing…excitement…a bit more character is what’s not there.

It’s a tool is the easiest way I can describe it. I like it, enjoy it…but something is just missing and I can’t describe it.
 
The X does everything I want and it does it reliably.

I can’t put my finger on it but something is missing…excitement…a bit more character is what’s not there.

It’s a tool is the easiest way I can describe it. I like it, enjoy it…but something is just missing and I can’t describe it.
That's reasonable. It is a tool without a soul. I doubt the bm will fix that. I find a v or a tiny four to be more engaging to ride. I have no love for parallel twins but I havent tried the yamaha which is supposedly much better.
 
The X does everything I want and it does it reliably.

I can’t put my finger on it but something is missing…excitement…a bit more character is what’s not there.

It’s a tool is the easiest way I can describe it. I like it, enjoy it…but something is just missing and I can’t describe it.

If you can get a new toy for the right price and try it out that’s worthwhile. Just has to be something you want to try and think you can flip for a reasonable cost.


Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
 
Back
Top Bottom