Thinking of moving near Allan Gardens. Opinions of the area? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of moving near Allan Gardens. Opinions of the area?

unL33T

When you say "near Allan Gardens", you have to be fairly specific!! :) 200m in any direction and you're getting all kinds of different neighbours. Friend of mine live on Metcalfe St. when I was in university and it was going up in value like crazy at that point. St. Jamestown on the other hand...

Don't want to be too specific due to theft concerns.

Basically between Allan Gardens and Moss Park. I'd just be renting for now.

Last edited:
In first year university, I lived at Jarvis and Dundas for a year, and then I moved to Jarvis and Maitland for another year, and then I was in a new condo at Sherbourne and Wellesly last year. So I've lived all around there. Anything north/south and west is great, anything east of Parliament (except the revamped Cabbagetown) is sketch. Beware St. Jamestown, like invictus43 said, as well as east Dundas (regent park) and Moss Park after dark unless you want to see some interesting characters.

Pembroke Street, specifically. Would you be ok with your gf walking home at night in this area?

Sounds like there's quite a few sketch areas around it though. o_O

Pembroke Street, specifically. Would you be ok with your gf walking home at night in this area?

Sounds like there's quite a few sketch areas around it though. o_O

Pembroke is a good street, and I would feel perfectly safe walking with my GF.. as long as I was walking west :D

When I first moved downtown, I made a set of guidelines so I could avoid getting stabbed, and one of those was don't go east of Jarvis after dark. It was way overkill, and now I have a much better handle of where I do and don't want to be. I would have no problem living on Pembroke. You are very close to Ryerson, which is about as safe as it gets in the city (with people, security, police and emergency phones everywhere, 24/7). There's a 24 hour grocery store at Church and Gould too, very convenient.

Just don't venture to Moss Park at night is the moral of the story

Pembroke is a good street, and I would feel perfectly safe walking with my GF.. as long as I was walking west
How about letting her walk by herself? :p

What is that place with all the gangsta-looking guys hanging around, anyway?

What's your budget for rent? Are you thinking of moving to the area to be close to school or work?

What's your budget for rent? Are you thinking of moving to the area to be close to school or work?
We're trying to find a place for under $1600 all in including two parking spots (I have two cars and the bike).

Not close to school or work for me. I finished college a few years ago and work at Pearson. My gf works in the city though and doesn't have a license. Plus we'd like to be in walking distance of "stuff".

We've been looking at everything east of High Park, west of the DVP, and south of St. Clair (although a little north of St. Clair is ok, too).

We're trying to find a place for under $1600 all in including two parking spots (I have two cars and the bike).

That's a decent budget, I'd be looking at condos in the downtown if I were you. My last place was in a condo, $1375/month, it was a one + den, around 800 square feet. The time before that was a newly renovated older building, it was a monster.. something like 1200 square feet. That one was $1400

I used a realtor to find my current apartment.. It was the easiest process. We just gave her our budget and what we had in mind, and then she took us around the downtown core and we saw 12 different places in one day. If you need any help, or want the info for my realtor, just give me a shout via PM

Two parking spots in downtown Toronto, hey? Good luck with that! ;)

If you like being walking distance to "stuff" and aren't against apartment/condo living. There are few condo buildings down on the Esplanade that have underground parking (You don't have an SS, you should be fine). I used to live down there and you cannot beat it for convenience. St. Lawrence Market, Grocery stores withing walking distance (Metro, Loblaws, Sobeys, No Frills), 10 mins from Harbourfront, Yonge Street, etc. Many pubs and restaurants.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=esplan...-a&hq=esplanade+toronto&radius=15000&t=m&z=17

).

Double check on the parking of a bike and if it violates the one vehicle per space rule some places have. There are numerous threads about what you can or can't do in a garage. If you are renting a condo you aren't the owner and have little say in any matter.

Basically any area with an average home price of 350K and up or average of 1300 and up for rent (1Bed) practically guarantees it's a decent neighborhood.

Basically any area with an average home price of 350K and up or average of 1300 and up for rent (1Bed) practically guarantees it's a decent neighborhood.

I dont think that is a very good measure of a "decent" neighborhood. There are lots of areas with with average prices well above 350k that are still sketchy due to proximity to gov't subsidized housing, etc. (i.e. regent park.. avg home well over 400k)

What area of toronto has an average home price of less than 350k right now anyways? The average sale price of a single family home in the 416 area code for this year is over 500K.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom