Thinking of career move to PMP...any out there? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of career move to PMP...any out there?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,

So as most of you can gather I'm growing tired of my gig out in BC. Money is great, 1/4 of the year off is great, but it's getting tiring, and the way this place is going...frankly the decision may be made for me sooner rather than later.

As such, I'm considering going into the PM route of construction as that's all I know over the last 13 years of my life (hell I'm only 40!) I've already done the PMP courses (don't have the cert yet), I don't have my PENG because lazy but am 90% complete of my experience summary.

More looking for insight into going that route. I've been in heavy civil close to my entire career, with a 60/40 split b/w office and construction site type of work. Not running crews, but more oversight, QA/QC, and safety safety safety being a focus of the work.

Trying to figure out how to make that transition as smooth as can be (if at all), but I think PM is something that would make me happy as I enjoy the overall picture and being able to point it towards a common goal.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I'll be spending the remainder of this run on indeed.ca and linkedin looking at PM / Construction / Site work as I'm due for a change, and I'm not married to this industry...but I do know it's way tougher to switch fields completely.

Hell, if I knew how to turn this experience (fairly niche) into a consulting gig I would...but I think I'm missing a few more years of experience and exposure within the industry to make a real go of it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm still not convinced about PMP. To me, it seems to replace LEED as the new cool buzzword. Letters don't hurt, but I dislike when people focus on the letters and not the actual skills/experience/outcomes.

As for careers, I have dealt with a decent number of construction projects (all sizes of residential, all sizes of commercial, some industrial). For the site crew, it has some interesting quirks. Sure, you go to the same jobsite every day for a year or two, but the next site may be closer to your house or may be an hour further away. Most of them stick with the company and accept a new assignment with the expectation that over time things will average out. That doesn't make the years of commuting to Oshawa any more fun or less disruptive though.

Yup....bosses all told me PMP is not their favourite but all clients like to see letters behind the name...lets them bill me out at higher rates!

it doesn’t hurt, but it hurts when you don’t have them. I messed up by not pursuing earlier and now playing catch-up against the young guns in the company. Ah well. Still time to do it. will finish the experience summary in a week and then fire off to PEO.

different industry, but I'm in a similar place
looking to get my CMRP to make the next level on the org chart

it's crazy that I'll still be the same guy
but larger companies with HR screeners love that crap
no letters, CV goes in the trash, hiring manager never sees your name

different industry, but I'm in a similar place
looking to get my CMRP to make the next level on the org chart

it's crazy that I'll still be the same guy
but larger companies with HR screeners love that crap
no letters, CV goes in the trash, hiring manager never sees your name
That’s the toughest part. Most HR people don’t know what the hiring manager wants, so they find key words and that’s that.

I’m actually thinking I should jump around more and more in my field to get my name out to more people.

our newest manager....wow...45...totally useless but sells himself better than anyone. I actually think he’s 80% responsible for our woes.

I want the job of setting up the traffic lights for the city of Kingston, that guy doesn't do anything right and there never seems to be any repercussions because he's been doing the same **** for decades.

It's not what you know it's who you know.
... or has that changed recently?
Yup. That hasn't changed at all. I've got to start going through my network and see what's what around here. Unfortunately due to me not having that damn PENG, it closes a lot of doors...but not all.

Back
Top Bottom