Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about getting a commuter, ideas welcome...

GT650 Could be - it's been in production for a while. I don't recall too much about it other than it was quick and smooth with nice braking. I fit it as well but thought at the time it would be tight for anyone with longer legs.

The Burgman 400 shows 55 ish mpg over the years. Not particularly outstanding as the 650 Stroms run 50ish and the CB300s and 500s much better than either reflecting new engine tech.

The storage on the Burgman is outstanding. Ideal for a commuter.
Windscreen replacement might be tricky as don't know about 3rd party.
Puig makes one Puig 9973 Clear Touring Screen -
View attachment 55500
CVTs are easy to ride in stop and go traffic...no clutching or shifting and they are quick to accelerate for filtering. Riding across the Peace Bridge on a brutally hot long weekend with my kid on his hopped up FZ8 he for the first time admired my not having to clutch or shift. :D

I have a Puig on my CB300F but it's much smaller.
Fitment was good and it has held up well over 20,000 km

Givi makes one for the 400 as well.
I must admit I'd happily ride this..I like red bikes.
View attachment 55501
Keep those tire pressures up to get any distance from them and the handling is lighter as well.

I just ordered a Givi Airflow (AF266) screen that's adjustable. Not cheap, but lets me at least find a setting that is quieter, even if that's low. The wind noise is by far the worst bit as-is.

As for mileage, I've seen 55-60, depending on a variety of factors. Not the best, but better than the 650 scooters, at least from what I've read.

You should do well if you take it easy on WOT starts tho they are fun and stay 100 kph or less....pushes a lot of air above that.

Can you get yourself a roof?
iu

Did they sell those here? I don't know if I've ever seen one in the flesh.
I think they did sell them here, but not many as they're really expensive city scooters. The big one is 175cc, and tops out at about 100kmh, might keep up with a GROM.

Moved...

As a commuter? Are they reliable enough that you won't get fired for missing work?
By all reports the new ones are just fine - nothing like the old 350/500 blisters.
Maybe check in with Flying Squirrel and see if they'll let you test ride ?

RE350 ?
Too late for me! On that list I was also looking at the CB500X and NC750, but the marginal mileage benefits didn't outweigh the convenience of a CVT in traffic, as well as the voluminous storage. The NC750 was closest, especially considering the almost-there storage, but anything with the DCT was pricy. As posted above, I ended up getting an old but mint low-mileage Burgman 400 for cheap, and so far, so good.

By all reports the new ones are just fine - nothing like the old 350/500 blisters.
Maybe check in with Flying Squirrel and see if they'll let you test ride ?
I'm gonna try a Bullet. A business buddy has an NOS bike he bought in new in 1995 on a trip to India. Hus wife eouldnt let him ride it (still wont). He legally imported it 5 years ago, it's still in the the shipping crate.

I'm gonna try a Bullet. A business buddy has an NOS bike he bought in new in 1995 on a trip to India. Hus wife eouldnt let him ride it (still wont). He legally imported it 5 years ago, it's still in the the shipping crate.
I don't think you'll like it....

I don't think you'll like it....
Who knows, it coming my way for free... maybe just a oddball for running around town. I dont know if it's a 350 or 500, I fo know it's kick start only, his BIL imported one at the same time, and I've done a little work on it for him. Very simple bikes, remind me of my TR25.

Back
Top Bottom