The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 335 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

View attachment 57030
too much bike?, lost their job?, didn't check insurance cost before buying...??? :unsure:
I mean bought in July!!!???
Many reasons for a quick sale.

Wife got preggers is possible but who knows.

Only one way to find out.

But very likely thought ‘motorcycling is awesome and I’m gonna tour the world on this thing….wait what…it’s raining/cold/hot/cloudy’

Maybe just not for them.

Not very pillion friendly. Availble 20k new plus tax w/o the panniers.
Pretty heavy rent for a few weeks riding.
Agreed. If I had that type of $ I would go for it.

Maybe he bought it wanting to surprise the wife and then got the ‘WTF is wrong with you? You’re an idiot!’

Have seen it before. Very uncomfortable when it’s a $500 item….$20k and more….sleeping in the shed.

Agreed. If I had that type of $ I would go for it.

Maybe he bought it wanting to surprise the wife and then got the ‘WTF is wrong with you? You’re an idiot!’

Have seen it before. Very uncomfortable when it’s a $500 item….$20k and more….sleeping in the shed.
If she gets mad, show her this and explain how you're better than ryan reynolds.

Ryan Reynolds spent nearly $3 million before consulting his wife Blake Lively: ‘We’re still working through that one’

Thinking about this big purchases as a percentage of an individual's net worth is a bit flawed.

There are things that scale up for sure, spending 1k to fly to Europe versus 10k to fly in first class, versus 100k to fly private.
But other things don't. The latest Android/iPhone doesn't scale up.

At the end of the day spending 3M in a fifth tear sports team in a different country is still 3M they didn't invest, or 3M worth of a student apartment for one of their kids.

Thinking about this big purchases as a percentage of an individual's net worth is a bit flawed.

There are things that scale up for sure, spending 1k to fly to Europe versus 10k to fly in first class, versus 100k to fly private.
But other things don't. The latest Android/iPhone doesn't scale up.

At the end of the day spending 3M in a fifth tear sports team in a different country is still 3M they didn't invest, or 3M worth of a student apartment for one of their kids.
True, but does that matter at all? Assuming that he has the rest of his net worth invested in something (and maybe this counts as investment too however I suspect this is much more akin to gambling), if he earns 3%, that is ~4.5M per year passive (and he should average over 3%). Assuming he lost the entire 3M (which seems unlikely as he paid someone for the asset, presumably he can sell it to someone else), his annual passive income would drop to 4.41M. Sure a $90,000 hit to income is not pocket change but as you put, that is one plane ride. Doesn't really change anything in his life now or in the future.

I try to keep a few percent of net worth in risky investments. If I lose it, it sucks but isn't a big deal but I aim for ones that I think could get 5-10x over a few years. A few percent times ten makes a big difference. Now, is a fifth string sports team worth 30M in a few years? I would think not. I suspect this is just big boy toys like a car or a boat for him.

if he earns 3%, that is ~4.5M per year passive (and he should average over 3%). Assuming he lost the entire 3M (which seems unlikely as he paid someone for the asset, presumably he can sell it to someone else), his annual passive income would drop to 4.41M.

I don't want to be pedantic but 4.5 minus 3M should be 1.5M not 4.41M, right? Unless I misunderstood your numbers.

I agree with you mostly. My point was that even if you have 100M in assets, having a quick lunch costs 20 bucks. All these numbers of toys versus investments are a bit complicated considering compounding the gains, taxes, rate of new funds, liquidity, etc... but its all the same if we compare toys with toys. If he finds the same enjoyment buying a sports team for 3% of his net worth as we do spending 3% of our net worth on a motorcycle. That's fine, he is still a wealthy person having fun after it.

I don't want to be pedantic but 4.5 minus 3M should be 1.5M not 4.41M, right? Unless I misunderstood your numbers.

I agree with you mostly. My point was that even if you have 100M in assets, having a quick lunch costs 20 bucks. All these numbers of toys versus investments are a bit complicated considering compounding the gains, taxes, rate of new funds, liquidity, etc... but its all the same if we compare toys with toys. If he finds the same enjoyment buying a sports team for 3% of his net worth as we do spending 3% of our net worth on a motorcycle. That's fine, he is still a wealthy person having fun after it.
4.5M and 4.41M are theoretical passive income per year from that net worth at a pretty crap (but safe) rate of return. Losing the 3M affects your net worth which effects your income for all future years (roughly, some assumptions included).

This thread has gone off in a tangent but 3% is a realistic return of withdrawal if you account for taxes. Unless you are reinvesting, but in this case we are talking about withdrawing for a toy purchase.

All that said I still think we agree. We are just debating detail numbers for fun.

Changing topics. I'm in the market soon for a 2020+ Street Triple RS. Is 11,000 a good price for one with less than 10,000 kilometers?

Losing the 3M affects your net worth which effects your income for all future years (roughly, some assumptions included).

He owns Aviation Gin, a cell phone provider in Cali, and a marketing firm (he's his own client, so he's writing off paying himself). He has money coming in. And his ads have his trademark humour. Case in point......

What do you guy think of this bike and price?
I've done some basic research on these bikes and pricing is all over the place. Seems like COVID rigging pricing.
Anyhow something about this bike appeals to me, just think the pricing might be a bit high with the age and mileage.

I've done some basic research on these bikes and pricing is all over the place. Seems like COVID rigging pricing.
Anyhow something about this bike appeals to me, just think the pricing might be a bit high with the age and mileage.
I'm not the best at current prices but the bike easily has lots of kilometers left. If wear items are in good shape, get him to sell it safetied for an agreed price. You like it and it gets you back in the saddle quickly. Wasting 100 hours over the next month scouring ads to try to save $1000 doesnt make sense to me.

I think its a good price, especially considering the farkles

If it feels high, see if he'll take lower, it does say obo.

Back
Top Bottom