The Motorcycle Education Game | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Motorcycle Education Game

You got this one correct. So now you ask a question.
dr_beamish250_triumph_008.jpg
(y)

Last edited:
All these questions about starters....
Did any REAL Nortons ever have with electric start?
Starting in 1980 for Triumph, 1975 for Norton. (Both starters were made by Lucas so deleting the kick lever was not an option).

Last edited:
First electric start motorcycle seems to be a well-debated question...here’s something interesting that I came across with a bit of education thrown in

By then the first motorcycle electric start had already been made. As far back as 1914 a system was seen on an Indian motorcycle. It took two, hefty six-volt batteries to crank the 7bhp motorcycle, which is probably why electric starters never really caught on for two-wheelers. After all, with smaller capacity machines and two-strokes, often a couple of prods on the kick-starter would do the job: or a good bump-start…

So what is the elemental electric start system made up of? Well, it’s a DC ‘direct current’ electric motor. Coils of wire become magnetic when a current is passed through them and these react against the central core of the starter that is also magnetic. The poles can be attracted to each other or repelled. This magnetic field pushes and pulls to get the electric motor spinning. This spinning force is then engaged to the starter clutch of the motor to get the motor going. Early problems with the first systems included the starter itself overheating to the point of destruction and batteries draining way too quickly…

The 1968 Honda CB350 was one of the most important models to get an electric starter. Honda had been using an electric start on some of their home models for around 10 years, but this was a machine which was a big-seller in the United States and Honda reckoned the new system would give the model a real ‘USP’ to the machine.

In fact, it didn’t and most owners used the notoriously fragile kick-start, which would often fail and result in a number of warranty claims. Honda – of course – would get the system (with a more robust kick-start as back-up) spot-on with the 1969 CB750, a machine which many remember as the bike which (ahem) kick-started the whole ‘electric boot’ phenomenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange but the only thing I remember the CB350 being important for was to be bought cheap new, it was 800$ out the door,
and I remember watching several of them crash real hard, the front forks fold in pretty good.

Q. What did Casey Stoner say to Valentino Rossi that destroyed their friendship (not that they were ever friends) after VR took CS out of Jerez in 2011. I remember thinking "oooooo..." that was just nasty.

No cheating.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Q. What did Casey Stoner say to Valentino Rossi that destroyed their friendship (not that they were ever friends) after VR took CS out of Jerez in 2011. I remember thinking "oooooo..." that was just nasty.

He went into Rossi's garage and told him something like, "Your ambition outweighed your talent". That was after he stood by the side of the track and mock clapped Rossi as he passed him the lap after taking him out.

What a c**t...

Was that before or after VR took out Stoner (Stoner was in the run for the championship, Rossi wasn't), then came to Stoner's pit to apologize, but wouldn't take his helmet off.
Class act.

RE Norton starters: Trick question.
Norton's had "Start Assist". The idea was you hit the button as you kicked the thing... and the electric motor HELPED. It was a STUPID system and the electric motor wasn't really strong enough, and would burn out quickly, unjustly adding to the world wide hate for Joseph Lucas.

Was that before or after VR took out Stoner (Stoner was in the run for the championship, Rossi wasn't), then came to Stoner's pit to apologize, but wouldn't take his helmet off.
Class act.

RE Norton starters: Trick question.
Norton's had "Start Assist". The idea was you hit the button as you kicked the thing... and the electric motor HELPED. It was a STUPID system and the electric motor wasn't really strong enough, and would burn out quickly, unjustly adding to the world wide hate for Joseph Lucas.
Like VR was afraid of CS? The VR who ***** slapped Max Biaggi for mouthing off to him years earlier making Biagi sit in front of the cameras with a shiner that a "mosquito" caused. VR was genuinely sorry, and rushed to CS's pit to apologize profusely.

Q. What F1 racer has his own signature series motorcycle with a certain manufacturer that you can buy?

Last edited:
thread has gone for ****

I worked for a large company that loved acronyms
they had hundreds of them with three letters

during orientation we had to review TLA's
of course in order to find out what a TLA was
you had to look it up on the list

any guesses?

Three Letter Acronym

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom