The Most Important Motorcycle of 2021 ? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Most Important Motorcycle of 2021 ?

Time for a little reality check:
waterloo? Expect a bidding war, selling price is likely 700k+
but you know that, thats why you buy in timmins.
You got that right. I'm investing, not laundering.

Have you tried getting big air on a sport bike? It's close!
I've ridden on dirt, ice, the strip and the street. I don't really think it is.

I had a whole long response typed out before and then erased it, but this in particular merits a response.

Young people aren't investing because they're spending 50% of their income on rent and whatever they have left over needs to be saved for a downpayment before the already unaffordable housing market becomes even more unaffordable. If you think all millenials are spending their money on $2k iPhones and $10k vacations then you're just out of touch. Maybe you're the one spending too much time on Instagram?

I think the older members of this forum should reflect on how much they were making when they bought their first house, and how much the house cost. Because right now the median household income in K-W is $95k before tax and the average price of a detached house sold in October 2021 was $997k.

I highly doubt you were buying houses that cost 10x your household income back in the day.
You're spot on. Over three houses I probably paid 3-4x my wage for each.
My kids (30 & 32) both work hard, pay their own way and make good money. Neither has an iphone or takes expensive vacations. They don't come to us for hand outs.
I'm not sure either will own their own home.

It may not be $2K iPhones, but based on this:

There still seems to be enough wiggle room to afford both a pleasure vehicle that can't be ridden for 6-8 months out of the year, plus the mandatory year-long insurance that goes along with it.

If you've got enough to pay for $20K motorcycle plus the annual insurance that goes along with it *and* you're shopping around for a second motorcycle + insurance to add to that original one, then that money could easily go towards investments rather than be tied up in a depreciating asset.

Instruct me where my logic has gone wrong.
I think that's where you're wrong. You assume riding has to be expensive. My Used KLR cost $2200. I figure the combined cost of ALL 15 motorcycles I've had on the road in the 40 plus years I've been riding cost me under 40K.

Gotta have the initial interest, then be interested enough to spend money and time doing the licensing process, gear, bike, insurance….then hopefully you enjoy it and have enough time to ride

It was similar to this. Check out this listing which would require $50k down, and 2200/mo. On your $97k income, and 1.5% mortgage rates, funding this house would be a cakewalk compared to 1986.
And there's the rub...that won't last and when the **** hits the fan as it did before in 89 going to be many far underwater and choosing between paying for shelter or food. Until average incomes align with average shelter costs it will continue to be huge source of exploitation and the resulting social ills.

REITs are gorging on the populace with up to 65% returns and no curb to predation.

I see younger people still into two wheels but via eBikes which are booming and have little regulation. Even cars in the GTA are losing appeal with 30% of adults with no licence.
Has to be a motivated kid like mine was to stick with the motorcycle love.
From uncertain wimp to king of the hill in 3 seasons starting at 14.
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at Jan, 16    2022    10.01.03 AM.jpg3__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff
For a diabetic kid too much under mom's thumb it was confidence building and freedom for his 10-12 year run on motorcycles only. But expensive early on until insurance reductions and his income took over. Worth it.
But brutal now with riding area restrictions and insurance costs.

Ebikes it is

$20k motorcycle knows exactly who I am talking about.

If you've got enough to pay for $20K motorcycle plus the annual insurance that goes along with it *and* you're shopping around for a second motorcycle + insurance to add to that original one, then that money could easily go towards investments rather than be tied up in a depreciating asset.
lol is this directed at me?

When the two spokespeople for the "we're struggling so much" generation list brand new bikes in their sigs, then it does stand out.

But anyway, that got too personal. I don't know what your circumstances are, and that wasn't a fair comment. So I apologize.

Its interesting that the guy who financed his entire lifestyle and investment portfolio from his real estate winnings is out here lecturing others that there's more to investing than just real estate.

The same guy also galavants around the world, while lecturing an entire generation that the reason the socioeconomic ladder has been pulled up ahead of them is because they lack fiscal discipline and buy an I phone every 2 years.

And now that I have insulted you and called you out on your hypocrisy, tone deafness and out touchness, I too would like to apologize, that got too personal.

Last edited:
Its interesting that the guy who financed his entire lifestyle and investment portfolio from his real estate winnings is out here lecturing others that there's more to investing than just real estate.

Totally not true.

And now that I have insulted you and called you out on your hypocrisy, tone deafness and out touchness, I too would like to apologize, that got too personal.

But apology accepted.

The same guy also galavants around the world, while lecturing an entire generation that the reason the socioeconomic ladder has been pulled up ahead of them is because they buy an I phone every 2 years.

I like you bigpoppa. Kick it back a notch will ya.

Since there were a couple of posts about India and motorcycling in that part of the world I can share my 2 cents.

The younger generation is introduced to motorcycling at a fairly early in that part of the world. If your dad, uncles, cousins got motorcycles you will at some point in time learn how to ride a motorcycle from them and most probably get to ride one depending on circumstances. So you at least get a taste of motorcycles fairly young and then you can make a call based on your interest. I rode my first motorcycle when I was 12 or something, and that didn't go too well for me - a story for some other day.

Owning and operating a motorcycle was way cheaper than a car (which was at that time considered a luxury, as opposed to the west where motorcycles are a luxury). You ride year-round and insurance is nothing in comparison. It was a very efficient way of commuting through the traffic. Even today, every household still got a motorcycle(or scooters), even if it's just to be sitting there on standby in their garage. If it's rush hour, fire the motorcycle and squeeze through the traffic lol. I don't think there are too many performance bikes or purpose-built bikes that I have seen in India, at least not comparable to the volume of commuter motorcycles and scooters.

In Canada, looking at today's circumstances, I absolutely get why the younger generation is not into motorcycling. It's a bad investment. I'm a recent immigrant and I would be lying if I said, I didn't think of selling my motorcycle and just focussing on saving that money just for track days and track schools. I suppose most younger folks are in a similar situation. And not to forget it's a risky hobby with too many distracted drivers around. I wouldn't be surprised if their parents are worried about getting hurt. My parents would be if they were here (picturing my mom nagging me to not get a motorcycle had she been here :ROFLMAO:).

Sadly, I think this is how it is going to be. Youngsters will have to wait a bit until they can afford one or itch must be really bad that they should be willing to act on it. And not to forget, youngsters would want something flashy, quick, and loud at their age. It just doesn't add up in their favor however I look at it.

Good post √ - one of the questions that arises is should young people aspire to home ownership at all and give up the irreplaceable time of being young and carefree and able to travel the world or if they so choose own and ride a motorcycle as my son did ( daughter did the travel the world thing ). Small student digs and a freedom machine not depending on someone else for getting around, being able to dodge cage traffic jams.

The headache in Ontario is criminal insurance rates thanks to an embedded industry with loads of fraud dumped on the consumer.

Add on few places to ride off pavement anymore and eBikes with none of those issues is far more appealing. Even those Eskate boards are capable of 30kph and a recipe for thrills.

Any chance we can blame video games? If you grew up playing video games in the basement why bother with a messy "real life" motorcycle when you could just play a MC game? I've got VR why do I need reality?
No I don't game. And I don't think playing them qualifies as a sport. Esports what a joke.

Any chance we can blame video games? If you grew up playing video games in the basement why bother with a messy "real life" motorcycle when you could just play a MC game? I've got VR why do I need reality?
No I don't game. And I don't think playing them qualifies as a sport. Esports what a joke.
I'm not sure if you're being serious so I will answer as if you are - this is unlikely, partly because most motorcycle racing games are bad

Will leave the esport thing alone as if this thread gets derailed again the NTSB is going to show up

Back
Top Bottom