The Bad Riders of Ontario Thread | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Riders of Ontario Thread

Pilots, including at Air Canada, can get their commercial licence on a prop plane and with a few hours in a A330 simulator. They land in the co-pilot seat where they receive their type rating eventually.

Everyone has to be trained at some point. And airlines to save costs do it on full planes not empty ones. If you think otherwise I got land on Mars to sell you.

With the FAA, now allowing simulator time to be included in type rating, soon you won't need to have flown to be rated as a commercial pilot.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

A friend who happens to be an Air Canada pilot flying A330s.

All it takes is 1,500 hours of flight time behind a prop plane to get your Airline Transport Pilot’s License. Then Air Canada trains you in a simulator to learn, and you get sent up with a type rated flight instructor acting as the pilot while you're copilot to get your type rating.

Same like in any industry, on the job training. Why you'd think it's any different is kinda laughable.
That simulator is not X-Plane. It’s a full motion simulator costing more than a plane itself.
And an instructor is a third guy in a cockpit, ready to take a place of a copilot any moment.

With the FAA, now allowing simulator time to be included in type rating, soon you won't need to have flown to be rated as a commercial pilot.

<cough, cough> Bull****.

Contrary to your misguided claims, the FAA has actually increased copilot's certification + minimum hours. (unless the FAA site is putting out fake news).

"The rule requires first officers — also known as co-pilots — to hold an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, requiring 1,500 hours total time as a pilot. Previously, first officers were required to have only a commercial pilot certificate, which requires 250 hours of flight time."

"The rule requires first officers — also known as co-pilots — to hold an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate, requiring 1,500 hours total time as a pilot. Previously, first officers were required to have only a commercial pilot certificate, which requires 250 hours of flight time."

And you can do all 1,500 hours on a Grand Caravan EX single prop Cessna or similar. Having never flown a jet. Which many do as pilots in small bush airlines like my buddy.

You only need 50 hours in a multi-prop plane now to get your ATP in the last decade.

And notice how it says "Total time" not flight hours? That's because it includes simulator time.

I'd love to chime in to the Bad Pilots of Ontario thread ... but this isnt it.

And notice how it says "Total time" not flight hours? That's because it includes simulator time.

Congratulations. You proved you were wrong when you said you could copilot a commercial passenger plane without ever having flown one.

Congratulations. You proved you were wrong when you said you could copilot a commercial passenger plane without ever having flown one.

I think you are taking my comment on 'real planes' far too literally. You can get your ATP flying primarily a Cessna 172, which is the most commonly used training to rack up those 1500 hours, a far cry from a commercial passenger jet.

Then yes, ground school, which is all simulator based, and your flying "co-pilot" on regular line flights (which means it has passengers) with an instructor while you get your rating on a commercial passenger jet.

There are substantial differences between airplanes. Pilots learn different airplanes in ground school for the system operations, computer programming, and standard procedures, then use full flight simulators to learn the flight profiles. Initial training (ground school and simulator) is very intense, usually requiring over 4 weeks. Upon successful completion of initial training, a pilot flies with an instructor pilot in regular line flights for several trips until the instructor is satisfied that the trainee is fully ready to fly regular flights.

Video games DO NOT make a good rider/driver. There are some things that can be learned and translate to real life though. One example being proper lines in and out of a corner. There is a reason the pros use the simulators.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Not sure I completely agree.

what about hand-eye co ordination and fine motor skills? I read an article awhile back that surgeons who play video games have measurable increases in both the above skills.

I wouldn’t say by default it makes you a ‘good’ rider, but i would contend it is providing a benefit.

this place has the best roads (from a safety perspective) in NA and some of the safest drivers.
Almost makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I’ll remind myself not to shake my head the next time 3 people blow the red while my advance light gets negated. Someone somewhere has worse drivers to contend with then I.

Not sure I completely agree.

what about hand-eye co ordination and fine motor skills? I read an article awhile back that surgeons who play video games have measurable increases in both the above skills.

I wouldn’t say by default it makes you a ‘good’ rider, but i would contend it is providing a benefit.
Augmented reality training is being used for a lot of ****. Last story I heard was from a doc buddy prototyping some Iron Man level device performing a mock surgery with AR projections.

Give it a bit longer and both AR and VR will be used for mainstream training across many professions.

Exciting future!

To sit right seat in one of the big airlines in Canada you will need north of 1400 hours and specific multi engine and "turbine" time/experience. Of course the commercial licensing and IFR, etc, etc. Those are not min transport Canada regs but you not only need to meet the regs you also need to get hired. If you have to pay for those hours it gets real expensive. That is why people start out military, doing bush, FIFO to remote areas, instructor, offshore, etc. to build the hours and get paid for doing so.

Type rating change, sure there will/can be simulator to start but you need to get hired first.

Almost makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I’ll remind myself not to shake my head the next time 3 people blow the red while my advance light gets negated. Someone somewhere has worse drivers to contend with then I.

I can see where staring at a screen could be beneficial to riding on a closed course. For street riding there’s a good argument that it could be detrimental

I can see where staring at a screen could be beneficial to riding on a closed course. For street riding there’s a good argument that it could be detrimental
Dead give away you've never been pushed on a closed circuit or done simulations and really shouldn't comment on either.

Try looking at a screen/speedo/whatever when you're going 250km/h and about to hit the brake point. Same thing for simulations; take your eyes off the screen and see what happens in less than a second.

The biggest difference I see there is - Fear - and the instincts it triggers - how do you account for that in simulations?

Just curious - I have no experience on simulators.
The more realistic the simulator, the more your body reacts as if it was a real situation. Think about a monster jumping out in a movie theatre. Obviously you are at zero risk of having your face eaten but many people still scream and jump.

Back
Top Bottom