The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 167 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

132 shouldn't apply to bicycles. Maybe failure to yield? I dont know. I ride alone or with one other and stick to the edge. Cyclist in pelotons blocking the road while climbing a hill are entitled **********.

If the statute states "vehicles" then it definitely also applies to bicycles. If it refers to "motor vehicles", then it doesn't apply to bicycles. The definitions are at the top of the HTA.

132 shouldn't apply to bicycles. Maybe failure to yield? I dont know. I ride alone or with one other and stick to the edge. Cyclist in pelotons blocking the road while climbing a hill are entitled **********.

I hate them. Take your wannabe Tour de France to the side streets. If you’re doing this on a weekday, on a Main Street, in rush hour, you are an a**hole.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I hate them. Take your wannabe Tour de France to the side streets. If you’re doing this on a weekday, on a Main Street, in rush hour, you are an a**hole.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

They're also breaking the law, as HTA 147 also applies to cyclists (as previously stated). There's a well known cycle activist (her name escapes me at the moment), in Toronto, who frequently posts videos of her encounters with "dangerous drivers." I've watched many of them and she constantly screams about how as a vehicle she's entitled to the whole lane, and quotes the applicable HTA section, but she conveniently forgets about 147 that would see her cited for blocking faster moving traffic.

Had an interesting run in with a cyclist this morning. Knowing how many there are in the area I was on the lookout and thankfully so...as I came over a rise there's a lone cyclist in the middle of the lane, despite the bike lane on the side. I slow and tap the horn to let him know I'm there and hopefully move over and he lost his mind...flips me off then proceeds to move over to the left track to block the lane further. As we get to a section with good sight lines I go into the oncoming lane to pass he swerved at me and tried to kick my car lol. I just pulled away but back country road with no cameras or witnesses that was stupid to mess with a car like that. Buddy needs to work out his feelings...Do that to the wrong guy and they'll eventually find you in the ditch.

As we get to a section with good sight lines I go into the oncoming lane

So you wanted to pass earlier where there were no good site lines? Would you pass a car like that as well?

Even if he did move over you'd have to encroach on the oncoming lane to pass him (provided you actually gave him the metre+ you're supposed to).

So you wanted to pass earlier where there were no good site lines? Would you pass a car like that as well?

Even if he did move over you'd have to encroach on the oncoming lane to pass him (provided you actually gave him the metre+ you're supposed to).

No...I expected him to be in the dedicated bike lane not in the middle of the road. If he was in his proper lane it wouldn't have been an issue, we would have both had our own space. I tapped the horn so he knew that I was there and he was in a bad spot....maybe he took it as a challenge? I was recently rear ended myself so I hope you can appreciate it was meant for both our safety, not me being aggressive.

His trying to block me and kick the car was beyond stupid and unfortunately seems to be the common attitude of (some of) these idiots thinking the rules don't apply to them. I was right over into the oncoming lane to give him a wide berth and he swerved over. Why?

And no I wouldn't pass a car under those conditions either. Only usually pass slow farm vehicles on those roads and again only when I can see far enough that it's clear to do so. I'm a pretty patient driver, I don't pass just to pass. A car probably wouldn't be in the middle of the road going so slowly either so I don't get your comparison. On a rolling road like that I was worried about someone flying up behind me and not seeing me doing 15kmh behind the bike. As soon as the road was visibly clear I passed. Would you have stayed behind him if you had the chance to pass and get out of a dangerous situation?

Last edited:

There was a bike lane. The rider was illegally in the middle of the main lane and did not give way to faster moving traffic, as required by law. Michael0124 did nothing wrong and the cyclist was absolutely in the wrong, from this description.

There was a bike lane. The rider was illegally in the middle of the main lane and did not give way to faster moving traffic, as required by law. Michael0124 did nothing wrong and the cyclist was absolutely in the wrong, from this description.

Thank you @Rob MacLennan

A part of me wants to believe he was having a bad day and might have been rattled by another car that passed before I rolled up hence his aggression towards me. Still, some people really need to control their emotions on the road. Shouldn't be out there without a clear calm head.

How many times have any of us had to deal with aggression from a motorist because of what another motorcycle did earlier?

There's no law that states you have to use the bike lane (aka the stone + glass depository). There is a law that says you're entitled to use the road regardless of whether there is one or not. I commute daily in my truck and motorcycle on the same roads. I know why riders move out to the center of the lane, and I don't have a problem with them doing it. Obviously, you don't.

Last edited:
There's no law that states you have to use the bike lane (aka the stone + glass depository). There is a law that says you're entitled to use the road regardless of whether there is one or not. I commute daily in my truck and motorcycle on the same roads. I know why riders move out to the center of the lane, and I don't have a problem with them doing it. Obviously, you don't.

Please review previous posts covering the parts of the Highway Traffic Act that specifically refute your statement.

Please show me the highway traffic act that says you can't ride in the middle of the lane when it's unsafe for someone behind you to pass.

Please show me the highway traffic act that says you can't ride in the middle of the lane when it's unsafe for someone behind you to pass.

Please see the previously quoted section 147 of the HTA, up-thread.

Last edited:
Ufy
There was a bike lane. The bike was intentionally blocking a car lane. Rob has posted the relevant charge. The cyclist can explain in court why they thought it was necessary to block traffic. The court can decide whether the excuse is valid or a conviction is necessary to help educate the cyclist.

Why then do even the police say if you're on a bicycle and going through switchback corners to use the middle of the lane?

Why then do even the police say if you're on a bicycle and going through switchback corners to use the middle of the lane?
I will take a whole lane in a few situations where a safe pass is not possible, but quickly collapse back to the shoulder to let cars pass. The number of times I need to do that is small. Going down a switchback is a reasonable example. Most people are barely able to negotiate those at the best of times, I have no interest in being sideswiped on the way through. If I make the car slow down to 30, so be it, they probably couldn't be carrying much more speed anyway and they can pass me in a few seconds on the following straight.

In Michaels situation, it is hard to think of many situations where I would want to be in the centre of a traffic lane over the crest of a hill when there was a bike lane (assuming there wasn't some knob parked in the bike lane).

In Michaels situation, it is hard to think of many situations where I would want to be in the centre of a traffic lane over the crest of a hill when there was a bike lane (assuming there wasn't some knob parked in the bike lane).

Cyclists do it all the time approaching the crest of hills. It's self preservation and I'm fully down with it. It negates the situation I was in on Conservation Rd. It's a rolling road and I was going up one of the hills. There was a bicycle cresting the hill in the opposite direction, riding at the right edge of the road. Some stupid **** in a Forester (why is it always Subies?) came over the crest of the hill at full clip (80ish) passing the cyclist, half in my lane. To avoid hitting me head on she took the Trolley Problem solution that was best for her and swerved back into her lane, missing the cyclist by inches. That's why cyclists move out into the middle of the lane at the top of hills. To block people from "just going a little bit into the opposing lane" to pass them in a blind situation, and I'm totally on board with it.

I'm seeing the same people posting to complain about 2 wheeled vehicles (bicycles) doing something to keep themselves from getting hurt while they're in their cars, yet complaining about cars not seeing them and cutting them off in intersections in other threads when they're on their 2 wheeled vehicles (motorcycles). Hypocrites. You're not motorcyclists. You're ***** that ride motorcycles. There's a difference. And Michael. You lost 20 seconds of your oh so valuable time in your car. Boo ******* hoo. It happens to me every day driving back and forth to work along the Escarpment. It's not going to literally kill me to wait behind someone in my truck. Maybe you need someone to give you a pat on the head and an 'awwwww, muffin' to console you.

Last edited:
Wow. Sensitive much? Maybe you need a hug? You sound like my 6 year old when he doesn't get his way. A hug usually gets him to calm down.

Wasn't about me losing time was about me being put in a dangerous situation. If I was drunk or distracted what would have happened to him when he swerved across the lane? I never said anything about my time being wasted...you are making an assumption that was my concern with the situation. And we all know what assumptions make us.

He intentionally swerved towards me as I tried to get away from the situation. He wasn't trying to protect himself, he was being a self entitled prick. The good ol boys in the area with their 1 ton farm trucks rip through there all the time, and I wasn't interested in having one rear end me because a cyclist felt it was safer to block the flow of traffic instead of using his own dedicated lane.

You getting angry and calling us names because we don't agree with you speaks volumes about your character. If you don't agree that's fine I won't lose sleep over it. I hope you don't either, and you were up at 4am for other reasons than to spew profanities at strangers on the internet. There is no need for personal attacks.

For those of you who supported me here thank you, but I'm done feeding into this.

Cyclists do it all the time approaching the crest of hills. It's self preservation and I'm fully down with it. It negates the situation I was in on Conservation Rd. It's a rolling road and I was going up one of the hills. There was a bicycle cresting the hill in the opposite direction, riding at the right edge of the road. Some stupid **** in a Forester (why is it always Subies?) came over the crest of the hill at full clip (80ish) passing the cyclist, half in my lane. To avoid hitting me head on she took the Trolley Problem solution that was best for her and swerved back into her lane, missing the cyclist by inches. That's why cyclists move out into the middle of the lane at the top of hills. To block people from "just going a little bit into the opposing lane" to pass them in a blind situation, and I'm totally on board with it.

I'm seeing the same people posting to complain about 2 wheeled vehicles (bicycles) doing something to keep themselves from getting hurt while they're in their cars, yet complaining about cars not seeing them and cutting them off in intersections in other threads when they're on their 2 wheeled vehicles (motorcycles). Hypocrites. You're not motorcyclists. You're ***** that ride motorcycles. There's a difference. And Michael. You lost 20 seconds of your oh so valuable time in your car. Boo ******* hoo. It happens to me every day driving back and forth to work along the Escarpment. It's not going to literally kill me to wait behind someone in my truck. Maybe you need someone to give you a pat on the head and an 'awwwww, muffin' to console you.

Moving to the centre of the lane, on a roadway with rolling hills, is a great way to get punted off the road by a driver who can't see you until it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom