The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 66 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

They should have nailed the truck too. Which vehicle is more dangerous when it fails to obey the law?

Why. For a large truck like that - from what I see on the video - he stopped well enough for me. No pedestrians. Can't see on-coming traffic, assuming clear since he went. Much more nimble vehicle behind didn't really come to a stop relative to it's size. Officers have discretion. You'd drive yourself mental if you followed the letter of the law.

I can't fathom how this accident is a result of failing to move over. If simply that, we'd have to believe the driver saw the police in his lane and said, 'F* IT.. OUTTA MA WAYYYYY!!'. Nope don't see that. I would suspect distracted driving is what drove the SUV into the back of the squad car. Say... oh I dunno.. txt'ing.

Why. For a large truck like that - from what I see on the video - he stopped well enough for me. No pedestrians. Can't see on-coming traffic, assuming clear since he went. Much more nimble vehicle behind didn't really come to a stop relative to it's size. Officers have discretion. You'd drive yourself mental if you followed the letter of the law.

Yes officers have discretion, but if you start enforcing traffic laws according to vehicle size where does it stop? Should all stop signs be yield signs instead for trucks? Perhaps cars should be allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit since they're more nimble than trucks?

Stop means stop, not just apply the brakes. They had the opportunity to catch both drivers, with minimal effort. They didn't. Both committed the same offence. One was a potentially more dangerous vehicle. Stop and ticket them both. I've seen Toronto police stack them up, four deep, for making illegal turns from York south to the Gardiner. Why not here? They have far more space, multiple officers, and two people who clearly did rolling stops.

Stop means stop, not just apply the brakes. They had the opportunity to catch both drivers, with minimal effort. They didn't. Both committed the same offence. One was a potentially more dangerous vehicle. Stop and ticket them both. I've seen Toronto police stack them up, four deep, for making illegal turns from York south to the Gardiner. Why not here? They have far more space, multiple officers, and two people who clearly did rolling stops.

Stop does me stop. But every day countless millions of people roll through stops - some more egregious than others. Some in trucks. Some in cars. Some on bicycles. Etc. Why not stop the truck? Officer discretion. You'd have to ask the officer why he did not. Just like you'd have to ask the officers at the bottom of York at Gardiner. Actually, at the bottom of York at Gardiner is where the same merging issue we've been talking about. 1 right lane to turn right onto Gardiner and 1 left lane free flowing going straight. Cars always merge at the end. lol.

Yes officers have discretion, but if you start enforcing traffic laws according to vehicle size where does it stop? Should all stop signs be yield signs instead for trucks? Perhaps cars should be allowed to go faster than the posted speed limit since they're more nimble than trucks?

Hyperbole is not needed. We're only talking about 1 officer, on that day, at that specific time. Another officer might have nailed the truck and let the car go. Another officer might have figured both drivers are likely up-standing citizens just going about their day and they don't need a ticket - especially since there's no pedestrian or vehicle traffic at the time. Another Officer might have just had his son killed from a driver not stopping and nailed both.

Stop does me stop. But every day countless millions of people roll through stops - some more egregious than others. Some in trucks. Some in cars. Some on bicycles. Etc. Why not stop the truck? Officer discretion. You'd have to ask the officer why he did not. Just like you'd have to ask the officers at the bottom of York at Gardiner. Actually, at the bottom of York at Gardiner is where the same merging issue we've been talking about. 1 right lane to turn right onto Gardiner and 1 left lane free flowing going straight. Cars always merge at the end. lol.

"Officer discretion" is a poor explanation. I have one though. I frequently see police stop regular citizens for the same infractions that a "professional driver" has also just performed. I would think that a so-called professional should be held to a higher standard but it just doesn't seem to be the case, in my experience.

And correction; cars merge BEYOND the end. Motorcycle officers used to sit there and nail people for driving in the breakdown lane. Haven't seen that in maybe 5 years now.

[video=youtube;oLPBLpYqN48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPBLpYqN48[/video]

Yeah, pretty much. One of my former neighbours was permanently crippled due to compound fractures in her legs, caused by someone doing exactly that on Steeles. The only difference was that she and her husband were doing about 80K when the idiot pulled the U-turn.

[video=youtube;zDl9-_U86Lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDl9-_U86Lw[/video]

Not condoning that riding, but the cops around Halton seem to pick the most unreasonable 60s to set their traps up at.

If only the cops followed the law as we're expected to.

But they're professional drivers!!! They can freely use cell phones while driving too. BS.

If it's dangerous enough that laws are required to limit the activity, it clearly should apply to all.

Back
Top Bottom