The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 65 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

I know you guys won't believe me, but I just saw a guy make a left into the left lane then put on his right signal, shoulder check, then proceed to move safely into the right lane.
Sorry, but it's just been so long since I've actually seen anyone do that.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I know you guys won't believe me, but I just saw a guy make a left into the left lane then put on his right signal, shoulder check, then proceed to move safely into the right lane.

Crap! Can't imagine what kind of car it would have been.. No way it was a cop, a school bus, a minivan, a driving school car, a cab, a uber driver or even a motorcyclist. You must be seeing things

If it was around 3:30pm on Dixie Road in Brampton, that was me.

I do that every day at the last light before my house.

I saw a close one today on the 401, not on camera though. A mini-van wasn't paying attention while the left 2 lanes of traffic stopped and he ended up lane splitting at about 60 km/h. Scary sheet. It didn't look like he hit anything, but there definitely wasn't much room.

You might not know that area but it's virtually certain that everyone trying to merge knew which lane they needed to be in 1-2 km back but decided they're special and would just cut in at the last second. That section of highway is a s* show at most times of day.

I know the area, and I know every other area where that happens ('cause it happens all over). I get what you're saying - 100%, but I also understand that it's just not that black and white. Like I said, it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. If it wasn't for those cars merging at the end, they would just be adding the line-up and the overall length of time everyone would be waiting. I don't think that makes them 'special' (in that negative connotation). It just makes them - on that day - the person that merged at the end. You could be an A-hole yourself and block them, or let them merge in the gap in front of you and be no worse off than you were if they ever existed. I guess it just depends on how you're feeling that day. lol

The camera car is likely adding to the congestion (with the erratic acceleration and road-ragin' behaviour) more than the cars trying to get in, especially when the cars just seem to be slotting themselves into the natural openings in traffic as it accordions along. You should try it. I'd bet money on the likelihood that if EVERYONE sat in those lanes like you say you do everyone would end up sitting in traffic way longer.

Actually, when I'm on the highway I usually leave some space for others to merge in order to keep things flowing. You must not know the area, since that is right ahead of the bull nose and the cars have had plenty of time to merge before hand but want to beat a couple cars and usually end up at a stand still in a live and flowing lane. IMO pushing your way in and causing someone to brake unnecessarily while slowing to 20 in a lane averaging 80 is not slotting in a natural opening.

It's not the merging in that bothers me at all, its the difference in speed when they come to a complete or near complete stop in a free flowing lane.

I know the area, and I know every other area where that happens ('cause it happens all over). I get what you're saying - 100%, but I also understand that it's just not that black and white. Like I said, it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. If it wasn't for those cars merging at the end, they would just be adding the line-up and the overall length of time everyone would be waiting. I don't think that makes them 'special' (in that negative connotation). It just makes them - on that day - the person that merged at the end. You could be an A-hole yourself and block them, or let them merge in the gap in front of you and be no worse off than you were if they ever existed. I guess it just depends on how you're feeling that day. lol

It's behaviour like theirs that creates the backup, that they're trying to beat, in the first place. Why reinforce bad behaviour?

It's behaviour like theirs that creates the backup, that they're trying to beat, in the first place. Why reinforce bad behaviour?

I disagree with that. The backup of traffic is entirely around the VOLUME of traffic and not that behaviour. The free flowing lane has next to nil volume of traffic. This behaviour exists everywhere, and not just in traffic. Humans trying to get through a door, etc.. etc.. Imagine if everyone was forced to line up in traffic. Somewhere on the roadway ALL THE CARS would have to come from all sorts of lanes and directions on the highway and merge over and line-up. Now just picture the backlog of traffic that would come from that. It would be horrendous, but guaranteed (in that video) 2 lanes would be rammed with vehicles all lined up, and 2 lanes would be nearly empty...

I can understand why you may not want the risk getting hit from behind, but I'd venture that risk is rather low when multiple cars are occupying that lane and trying to merge (which they are also entirely legally allowed to do where it's dashed-white line). It just becomes a risk/reward scenario I suppose. I do agree trying to butt-in will cause a chain-reaction of braking, but so too will the behaviour of the camera car.

It's funny, nigh everyone gets butt-hurt over those that don't match speed and use all the available merging lane when getting on to a highway. I just see this as the reverse. Gotta match speed with the vehicles you are trying to merge with (meaning slow down) and then slot yourself in like a basketweave as the traffic accordions along.

I just don't see it as bad behaviour, I just see it as the reality of something as chaotic as traffic. Pick your battles.

I disagree with that. The backup of traffic is entirely around the VOLUME of traffic and not that behaviour. The free flowing lane has next to nil volume of traffic. This behaviour exists everywhere, and not just in traffic. Humans trying to get through a door, etc.. etc.. Imagine if everyone was forced to line up in traffic. Somewhere on the roadway ALL THE CARS would have to come from all sorts of lanes and directions on the highway and merge over and line-up. Now just picture the backlog of traffic that would come from that. It would be horrendous, but guaranteed (in that video) 2 lanes would be rammed with vehicles all lined up, and 2 lanes would be nearly empty...

I can understand why you may not want the risk getting hit from behind, but I'd venture that risk is rather low when multiple cars are occupying that lane and trying to merge (which they are also entirely legally allowed to do where it's dashed-white line). It just becomes a risk/reward scenario I suppose. I do agree trying to butt-in will cause a chain-reaction of braking, but so too will the behaviour of the camera car.

It's funny, nigh everyone gets butt-hurt over those that don't match speed and use all the available merging lane when getting on to a highway. I just see this as the reverse. Gotta match speed with the vehicles you are trying to merge with (meaning slow down) and then slot yourself in like a basketweave as the traffic accordions along.

I just don't see it as bad behaviour, I just see it as the reality of something as chaotic as traffic. Pick your battles.

I don't think you quite understand...this is the exact same as trying to merge onto a highway at 20km/h while everyone around is doing 100km/h, just reversed.

But that isn't bad behavior, just reality of chaotic traffic right?

[video=youtube;8pWhNXhmlsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pWhNXhmlsg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;8pWhNXhmlsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pWhNXhmlsg&feature=youtu.be[/video]
This gives me some personal satisfaction. I would much rather YRP enforce these rules of the road (including HTA 141 proper left/right turns at intersections), rather than hold a lidar gun and stop vehicles for doing +15km/hr.

I've lost count of the numbers of times I get a car-horn for stopping behind the white stop line before making a red light right turn. Impatient drivers behind me, don't realize that failing to stop behind the white line is equal to running a red light HTA 144(18 ) $325 + 3pts.

York Region is literally making $325/ticket rather than $40 on a reduced +10km/hr ticket. Economically it makes so much more sense, you don't need to purchase, maintain, license lidar guns or train officers to hold the lidar. If they bundle this with an improper right turn, when drivers go wide into the wrong lane that's +$110.

$435/stop rather than $40 on a reduced speeding ticket. But for apparently travelling 95 in a posted 80 zone where the design limit is 100, is what gets their full and undivided attention.

When someone cuts into a heavily trafficked but moving lane, the existing traffic must slow in order to allow the entitled driver in. This results in a wave of more heavy slowing, which eventually causes a stoppage.

Because of the volume of traffic, the lane in question must eventually come to a stop to allow the queue jumper in. This makes things worse.

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe they didn't want the truck to block their view of the next donors?

So you signal the driver to stop IN FRONT of the cruiser, not behind. Generally speaking that's the preferred position anyway, as it helps protect the citizen from harm.

Back
Top Bottom