The audiophile thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The audiophile thread

I was into that 50 years ago. Then I started hanging out in the bars downtown, listening to the up and coming bands.

Any recommendations on wireless, noise cancelling headphones?

Bose quiet comfort 35?
Sennheiser 550?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Bose quiet comfort 35?
Sennheiser 550?

I have Sony MDR-zx770BN. Works fine, very comfortable..took it to Thailand with me in May and i had them on most of the 22+ travel hours. The noise cancelling could be better, but if you want the best you spring for the Bose.

Bose quiet comfort 35?
Sennheiser 550?

Haven't used the others outside of the store, but I adore my Sennheiser Momentum 2's.

Bose quiet comfort 35?
Sennheiser 550?

I use iem's on planes. Not wireless or noise cancelling but they work well for making the world outside disappear and I don't need to worry about dead batteries causing me trouble.

As much as I dislike bose sound, if I was buying noise cancelling phones, they would be the way I would look.

I use iem's on planes. Not wireless or noise cancelling but they work well for making the world outside disappear and I don't need to worry about dead batteries causing me trouble.

As much as I dislike bose sound, if I was buying noise cancelling phones, they would be the way I would look.
Did you get them custom? Or molded yourself?

If you don't mind a bit of bulk the plantronics backbeat pros are nice. Sound pretty good to me. The controls are awesome and I like the way the headphones cut the sound automatically when you take them off.

I should add I have a pair of PSB M4U2s too and hardly use them now because the Plantronics sound decent enough.

Last edited:
Bit of nostalgia: 25+ years ago I was flogging electronic components and made a call at a shop in Markham where they made high end amplifiers.

I ended up in the back shop, the typical block wall / metal roof industrial unit while the techie was running a unit through its paces. The thing looked like it came out of a WWII radio stack with all kinds of orange glow from the tubes.

The sound was amazing, so absolutely brilliant.

I went home to my blah transistors. :(

Can't speak to the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 but I do have the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (not wireless). They are excellent quality and well built.

I use them mostly with a laptop to watch MotoGP, occasionally with iphone and sometimes to block out the open office noise at work.

I like music....old school though. Not much of the current stuff in my library.
I was into that 50 years ago. Then I started hanging out in the bars downtown, listening to the up and coming bands.
My music is a mix of new and old. Personally, I currently find myself in the middle of a very rare renaissance of new music; it's a special time. I've found a few new sources that have provided me with a huge amount of new music that I really enjoy. I've been posting some example in the what are you currently listening to thread. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?186552-What-Are-You-Currently-Listening-To. Lots of variety there too.

Bose quiet comfort 35?
Sennheiser 550?
I've often wondered why people want noise cancelling headphones? Post up some reasons, maybe I'm missing something.

I've heard good things about both of those. Imo, I find Bose a master marketing company and not so much of an enthusiast sound quality company. On one hand, their technology in the noise cancelling arena is very good. OTOH, their sound quality is not very good, basic consumer grade.

Noise cancelling headphones are a compromise. Personally, I'd rather have ear plugs for noise suppression, and decent head phones for listening, be it iem's, isolated over ear (closed back style, which also does a good enough job for me in noise isolation), or not isolated over ear (open back style).

A few articles I found in reading up on noise cancelling headphones. Some may be interested in reading.
Are noise cancelling headphones worth it?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffr...-cancelling-headphones-worth-it/#528fc40446d5

Are expensive headphones worth it?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffr...e-expensive-headphones-worth-it/#63cfaffd7f94

Open back vs closed back headphones
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffr...ack-vs-closed-back-headphones/2/#4d7f9c0b7e53

Hope it helps. GL. Interesting discussion.

I always and only used iem's forever (the last 20 years), until I got my Sennheiser HD 598's over the ear headphones last christmas (9 months ago). Love my 598's now, they were a revelation and I'm a convert. I use them often and outside as well. iem's do have superior portability and more noise isolation. Each style has its strengths and weaknesses. I've never tried a high end more expensive pair of iem's, and yes you can even spend hundreds of dollars on iem's. Interesting reading up on the pricey enthusiast level iem's on the internet and maybe some here will want to check that out. Personally, I know that I prefer the sound quality of open back headphones, which present music in a way that iem's and closed back headphones simply can't.

For value iem's, I highly recommend this site for lots of options, some great prices and large discounts.
http://www.blueshop.ca/smartphone-headsets.htm
They rebranded their site name recently, but have been a notable seller and around for a while. I ordered 3 different pairs from them and it's the real deal, including the Samsung Active In-Ear Headphones. Interestingly, I did notice some of the prices have increased from when I purchased last year.

Bit of nostalgia: 25+ years ago I was flogging electronic components and made a call at a shop in Markham where they made high end amplifiers.

I ended up in the back shop, the typical block wall / metal roof industrial unit while the techie was running a unit through its paces. The thing looked like it came out of a WWII radio stack with all kinds of orange glow from the tubes.

The sound was amazing, so absolutely brilliant.

I went home to my blah transistors. :(

for anyone interested in the warmth of tube amplification
here's an affordable and fun way to give it a listen
DIY integrated stereo tube amplifier kit

I built one of these several years back and was really impressed with the sound for $200

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/amp-kit-stereo-integrated-tube-amplifier
Tubes are a sure sign of audiophiles and for many people they never go back to solid state (SS) :). I've got some tubes in my two channel system and it made a huge and positive difference.

Tubes are a deep dive rabbit hole. There are dozens of different tube types that sound different, combined with different audio circuit design topologies that make similar audio components sound different, etc.

FWIW, in the audiophile world there are hundreds of different technologies and approaches to producing sound. With tubes, it is often done with the preamplifier and/or amplifier component. In my experience, tube amplifiers only produce world class quality at high prices, especially if you are driving less than very efficient speakers to high volumes. OTOH, a tube preamplifier is an easy way to introduce great tube sound into a music system while not breaking the bank. There are even tube amplifiers for headphones, etc.

Lots of great topics here.

Last edited:
In another thread I mentioned my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones that I should bring up here too (the forum won't let me add it into my last post). They can MSRP for $300 to $500 but street prices are less and they can be bought on sale at times for under $200 with tax (Amazon has sales with some regularity and carries them).

Sennheiser HD 598's are amazing headphones! :agave: They are the more rare open back style headphones. Rather than the much more standard and ubiquitous closed back head phones, open back headphones do not block the outside of speakers, allowing them to breathe and leak some music outside. What design does is give a much bigger and more natural (realistic) soundstage to the music. It really is a huge difference and very noticeable.

Combine that with a beautiful and relatively neutral sound presentation and you have great headphones that work well with all types of music. They aren't bass heavy like some offerings and I want it that way. I listen to lots of EDM (electronic dance music), which is most always is recorded with more than enough bass to sound great with the 598s. And yes, impressive bass tracks sound impressive on the 598s.

The Sennheiser HD 598 headphones are also the best of the Sennheiser offerings that still work well with cell phones. High model numbers such as the 650+ will need a headphone amplifier to work well with cell phones.

I use my 598's outside a lot now too. The amount of sound leakage isn't very much at all unless you are maxing out the volume and, depending on the volume, I can still hear ambient noise so I don't feel so isolated from the surrounding environment. The effect is really nice and actually great. I can be aware of my immediate environment and interact with it, and still have awesome sound quality.

Everyone should listen to open-back headphones when they have a chance or if they are interested in buying headphones or iem's. There is a big difference in the sound. And for most people, it is better.

I figured I may as well post up this info that got some interest in another thread here.

Last edited:
for anyone interested in the warmth of tube amplification
here's an affordable and fun way to give it a listen
DIY integrated stereo tube amplifier kit

I built one of these several years back and was really impressed with the sound for $200

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/amp-kit-stereo-integrated-tube-amplifier
Stupid question time.

Where does this connect in my stereo/computer/music player? How good does the source have to be to be able to appreciate the difference this amp makes? Thinking it might be a fun gift for my nephew.

In another thread I mentioned my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones that I should bring up here too

But the really important question is what headphone amp are you using with the Senns? ;)

If this thread gets too abuzz with talk about tubes, I'm afraid it's going to make be re-ignite the bug and spend more big bucks on audio gear! Right now, I'm happy enough with my SET tube amp system. No one better get me thinking about upgrading to some Lowther horns or, god forbid, Avantgarde Duos!!! ;)

Stupid question time.

Where does this connect in my stereo/computer/music player? How good does the source have to be to be able to appreciate the difference this amp makes? Thinking it might be a fun gift for my nephew.
It says integrated amplifier; so it should have source inputs and speaker outputs with volume control included at least. Plug in speakers and for example a CD player (I'd guess analag rca outputs -> amp inputs). The unit also says 8 ohms at 8 watts. Better have some very efficient speakers.

Lots found with google on it. Search for K-502 tube amplifier
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/K-502-Tube-Amp-Kit/

Some people say the source is very important, others not. I have found that the source is not as important as the other components. A digital source helps, but not with compressed music so much either.

But the really important question is what headphone amp are you using with the Senns? ;)

If this thread gets too abuzz with talk about tubes, I'm afraid it's going to make be re-ignite the bug and spend more big bucks on audio gear! Right now, I'm happy enough with my SET tube amp system. No one better get me thinking about upgrading to some Lowther horns or, god forbid, Avantgarde Duos!!! ;)

Both my home systems have headphone outputs, which is nice :) (the two channel system preamp with it has tubes). And I just use my phone as is because it works very well there too.

Sounds like a nice system :). Ah, the horn life.

Last edited:
I've often wondered why people want noise cancelling headphones? Post up some reasons, maybe I'm missing something.

I bought mine specifically for travel, it completely killed off the drone of the plane engines and the people chatting away around me.

A fun trick is to wear them but pause the music, so you get all the benefits of the noise cancellation. Great way to fall asleep.

Yup, great for quieting humming sounds like motors. Use it on transit, planes, and my van on the highway.

Stupid question time.

it connects like any other traditional amp
RCA stereo inputs for a CD player, turntable etc
Y adapter cable can be used to go from 3.5 mm headphone jack to use an ipod or phone
has stereo speaker outputs
volume is the only control

would suggest sourcing or making an enclosure if its a gift
circuit board has high voltages and tubes are hot

even decent sounding mp3 files can be played and appreciated
CDs sound great
vinyl is fantastic - analog the whole way from stylus to your ears
pair of quality bookshelf speakers are suggested
8 watts doesn't sound like much power, but it has plenty volume to piss off parents

tube sound is hard to explain
its not like you hear detail that you couldn't hear before
it just has a warmth and organic sound lost with transistors

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom