Taking a motorcycle on the Chi-Cheemaun ferry | GTAMotorcycle.com

Taking a motorcycle on the Chi-Cheemaun ferry

Katatonic

Site Supporter
I'm planning a week long road trip, leaving on Sunday, and I've got the option of heading to Tobermory and taking the Chi-Cheemaun to Manitoulin or riding the long way through Sudbury.
Anyone here have any experience taking your bike on the ferry? Any tips?

I have done it a couple of times. My only suggestion would be to bring a couple of tie downs. They only supply rope
Great ride!

Anyone here have any experience taking your bike on the ferry? Any tips?

Ties downs are a must. Canyon Dancers if you have them.

Since you are already in Guelph and you have your own straps - the ferry is great and the ride north up past Espanola is sweet. Where are you going for your trip?

Safe ride!

- the ferry is great and the ride north up past Espanola is sweet.

Safe ride!

you aint just whistlin' dixie...

LaCloche_Hwy.jpg

It's always great to take a ship across the seas. Fear not, all those guys in the motorcycle lane aren't real pirates. Arrrghh! Enjoy.

Since you are already in Guelph and you have your own straps - the ferry is great and the ride north up past Espanola is sweet. Where are you going for your trip?

Safe ride!

I was already leaning more towards the ferry anyways. I figure it'll be a nice break for a couple of hours.
Heading to Thunder Bay for sure and depending on weather and how I'm feeling, I might just go all the way into Winnipeg. And not sure of how I'll be coming home yet either. I may drop down into Michigan and follow the north shore or just head back on the same roads.
I'm off work for 2 weeks, so I really don't care where I end up or how long I'm gone for....lol!

Ugh. West of Thunder Bay is uninspiring.
Take 11 west of Thunder Bay towards Atikokan, if you run out of daylight you can set up camp in Quetico or get a hotel in Atikokan. The 622 north out of Atikokan is a lot of fun and will take you towards Dryden via 17. Its about 130km of sweepers, and very seldom traveled, especially on weekends (I saw 4 vehicles on the entire stretch).

I can't stress it enough, do not right at night when you're out there. Moose and deer will start to make an appearance at dawn and dusk, and it's common to see black bears at the side of the road too. You stand a reasonable chance of surviving any encounters as long as you can see them coming.

check out the Ride Lake Superior Loop website...they have a 2,000+ km loop around Lake Superior that hits a lot of the places you want to go to...it stops and starts in Sault Ste. Marie and has lodgings, repair shops, things to see/do etc. on their website... http://ridelakesuperior.com/ i'm probably doing this loop in august...

I took the ferry a couple of weeks ago... 'Nice break.
Decent lunch and a beer.

Bikes are first on first off so it's hassle free.

Make a reservation though or you might not get on.

Last edited:
I recall getting ratchet tiedowns, but maybe I got lucky. However that was probably over 6 yrs ago

I recall getting ratchet tiedowns, but maybe I got lucky. However that was probably over 6 yrs ago

Maybe another rider lent them to you? In my experience (back to 2007), the only available tie-downs have been dirty, coarse ropes. Get a couple of cheap ratchet straps from CT or PA. Cambuckle straps work fine too--you're not lifting the bike, just preventing it from tipping over. I've never seen or heard of bikes tipping over, though certain turns on the ferry route will set off anti-theft alarms with level sensors.

If that's your idea of getting lucky I think we could be friends. My Chi Cheemaun career spans the better part of 35yrs. and it's always been the humble manila rope, no exceptions. Oddly, I always felt blessed. Stay thirsty my friend.

Or maybe I stole them without noticing it. Thanks to whoever left them there

Back
Top Bottom