Tail of the Dragon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tail of the Dragon

If you're riding the Blue Ridge parkway in the 35mph zone, and you're doing 105mph, the fine is $775.
That sounds like experience talking.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Did you ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, and what did you think of it? I was told that it gets monotonous after a while because of the low speed limits and/or tourists. I'm planning on leaving from Elmira, NY, taking 15 to 81 to Skyline Drive to BRP to the Dragon. On another forum they suggested I skip BRP altogether and spend more time on the Cherohala Skyway and other roads around the Dragon instead.
It all depends when and where you ride it. Weekends are usually busy and slow. We did a 100km run and it was nothing like what you have mentioned. Road is a must ride. The approach road to BRP was very nice too.
Infact, ride every road you hear about, but please be at your 100% when you are riding. Avoid phone calls but keep waze on.

Whats the severity of getting a speeding ticket in the area as a foreigner? High fines?
Waze saved us from a special blitz in Virginia, where they had an aircraft up.
I don't think they fine foriegners in excess, but yes in some States they pull, out of state vehicles more.
The town to watch is Summerville, WV. Cops pull out of state plates even if you are just 1 mile above their posted 50mph speed limit.
Most cops are within 10 to 15 miles radius of a major town or a city.

+1 for Canada Road. Always deserted.
My fav road which I stumbled upon last year is Wayah Rd. Travels beside a river with lots of rapids and you're in the trees for much of it. Noticeably cooler in temps which is refreshing. Gorgeous, perfect pavement for most of it, no traffic, lots of twisties. Take a look at it on the map. A solid day is Doing the Dragon then around the lake doing the Cherohola, south through Robinsville and hook onto Wayah Rd which spits you out down near Franklin to grab 64 (Bridal Veil Falls). From there you have lots of options for great roads back to wherever you're staying.

+1 for Wayah Rd.....excelent scenery...no traffic..got caught in a wicked storm on that road...rain was going sideways ?....oh ya..always have your rain suit handy in NC

Did you ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, and what did you think of it? I was told that it gets monotonous after a while because of the low speed limits and/or tourists. I'm planning on leaving from Elmira, NY, taking 15 to 81 to Skyline Drive to BRP to the Dragon. On another forum they suggested I skip BRP altogether and spend more time on the Cherohala Skyway and other roads around the Dragon instead.

The entire BRP + Skyline Dr (800km) requires about two full days of riding. It does get boring after a while, because of the same scenery over and over again, but wouldn't suggest skipping it altogether. Depending how much time you have, you can decide to skip certain sections and take other roads (including I81) that are paralellish with BRP.

+1 for Wayah Rd.....excelent scenery...no traffic..got caught in a wicked storm on that road...rain was going sideways ?....oh ya..always have your rain suit handy in NC

Interesting. I've only done it once and it was covered in fine gravel which made it less than appealing. Perhaps I just picked the wrong time, or it was recently tar + chipped earlier that year. This past year the last bunch of the BRP was pretty sketchy, again with fresh tar and chip. It was hard to see what was loose and what was not.

A group favourite is Notorious P.I.G. that used to be located at the top of the run, but has since moved (totally worth the ride out there.. usually on the way to Canada Road). The brisket is excellent. They are here at the Exxon station

Google Maps

Caf Rel down the 28 South is a favourite. They've finished repaving a bunch of that road recently and its quite good. the NC side of the Charoholla was redone 2 years ago and is butter smooth. It's generally quite during the weekdays.

One of my personal favourites besides canada road and the charoholla is this mountain climb section. There is rarely any traffic:
NC-215 to NC-215

The Snake 421 is interesting as well, much longer, but commercial traffic can be a hazard.

If you're riding the Blue Ridge parkway in the 35mph zone, and you're doing 105mph, the fine is $775.

*exits stage left and pretends he doesn't know this person*

Interesting. I've only done it once and it was covered in fine gravel which made it less than appealing. Perhaps I just picked the wrong time, or it was recently tar + chipped earlier that year.

One of my personal favourites besides canada road and the charoholla is this mountain climb section. There is rarely any traffic:
NC-215 to NC-215
Wayah I did last June and it was perfect. Looked like the Northern section that's all along the river was new blacktop so it may have recently been paved.

215 is indeed excellent. We did it with Canada Rd one day and took 276 (which is nice as well) back north to Maggie Valley.

Wayah I did last June and it was perfect. Looked like the Northern section that's all along the river was new blacktop so it may have recently been paved.

215 is indeed excellent. We did it with Canada Rd one day and took 276 (which is nice as well) back north to Maggie Valley.

awesome. we'll give it a try this year

129 ..the Cherohola sky way into Tennessee into a town called tellico plains..great ride and there is a small cafe/ sandwitch shop there GREAT FOOD...not much else town is empty..and it had a gas station lol

129 ..the Cherohola sky way into Tennessee into a town called tellico plains..great ride and there is a small cafe/ sandwitch shop there GREAT FOOD...not much else town is empty..and it had a gas station lol
Also..we stayed in Robinsville..rented a cottage from Mary at Griffin cabins...great place to stay..fresh eggs and jam in the fridge $400 for the week...the following booking bailed and she offered us the cottage for the next week for free..highly recommend. The road into the cottage was fantastic good tune up for the days riding...not to far from wheelers

Here's a road summary and two ride reports that have a bunch of map links to good roads and routes in the area.

Stateside Roads - the twistier the better!

Ride Report - Smoky Mountains

Ride Report - Fall Colours and Twisties - Eastern States

I need to get back down there. If you have time, head further and go to Barber museum:
A whole bunch of first's - Toronto to Alabama (Barber Museum) Oct. 6th-15th
A friend and I are heading down this year, late September, with a few stops on the way.

Funny, I was down there last weekend and I didn't enjoy the Tail of the Dragon at all.

I did it because it was the touristy thing to do! I've never been in 1st gear for so long as I was on the Dragon, just an endless freight train of Harleys, literally clutch in revving mid corner as they rolled through. The rental three wheel car things are pretty horrible to be around too. On the dragon I witnessed some of the most frightening examples of riding I've ever seen!

That said, as soon as I was away from the popular tourist roads I was in heaven. Cherohala was pretty empty by the evening when I was headed west back to Chattanooga and I had a great time there, and 28 south of 74 down as far as Cowee I think was among my favorite roads.

Back
Top Bottom