Tail of the Dragon | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tail of the Dragon

C109Knight

We, a group of 15 riders from GTA, went for a 6 day trip to Tail of the Dragon. 2 days going; 2 days there; 2 days back. All made back safely. If I could, I would go back right now. If I can be of any help to anyone who is planning to go there, please feel free to ask.

Been a couple of times.Too many wankers that don't know what the centerline is for.There are a lot of other roads (and tracks!) that are just as good.

Been a couple of times.Too many wankers that don't know what the centerline is for.There are a lot of other roads (and tracks!) that are just as good.
On the contrary, we found US drivers much more better than Canadians. Not even once anyone gave us shivers. The moment we crossed over to Canada, there were ample morons to welcome us back.

If heading south of the border I would recommend getting health insurance if your current plan does not cover it. I get mine through CAA and it is pretty cheap.
Very good suggestion. 5M coverage costs around $20, which will cover a $50,000.00 helicopter ride from the Dragon.

Reactions: AGS
How much did it end up costing you all together? Did you do anything insurance wise?
We are still settling the final numbers. Some of us were sharing rooms. Average hotel price was around $100 per night. DONOT travel without health insurance.

We covered the following
Back of the Dragon
Dragon's whip
TOD
Moonshiner 28
Cherohala skyway
Foot hill parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
And a lots of side roads.
Actually every road in that area is good, but then for the sake of it....you can't miss Tail of the Dragon also.
Surviving Tail from other riders is also the part of the fun. Just go out there and ride. Proper gear is a must, please don't be a squid.

Friends and I are going down in August for the 9th year in a row.
We have stayed at the Fontana Lodge a couple times, but have rented houses since then. So much more cost effective over all.
Everyone buys their breakfast for the week at the Walmart in Maryville (south side of Knoxville). Everyone cooks supper 1 day of the week for everyone else in the house - this way multiple people aren't fighting for kitchen space all at once. Lunches are typically BBQ joints out and about.
The Cherohala Skyway is by far my favourite road down there. Lots of other roads in the area that are beyond brilliant, within a 2 hour ride. Canada Road is another fantastic ride. Pretty much deserted.

We covered the following
Back of the Dragon
Dragon's whip
TOD
Moonshiner 28
Cherohala skyway
Foot hill parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
And a lots of side roads.
Actually every road in that area is good, but then for the sake of it....you can't miss Tail of the Dragon also.
Surviving Tail from other riders is also the part of the fun. Just go out there and ride. Proper gear is a must, please don't be a squid.

Heading there next week, going down through ohio & kentucky, tenn, coming back through NC & WV. Another one to add to the list is The Snake - 421

Also went down last year at this time. Would do again in a heart beat. Road surfaces are well cared for. People are very friendly. THE best advice I could give when riding the dragon is LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Come around a bend and look at the bumper on that pickup and its now to late.

We stayed at Two Wheel Inn. Our group liked the place a lots. Each room has a motorcycle garage attached.
We mostly ate light food. No time to cook, used every minute to ride.

Heading there next week, going down through ohio & kentucky, tenn, coming back through NC & WV. Another one to add to the list is The Snake - 421
I had considered that route but found I79 19 74 much more interesting. Be careful in VA, 81 and over can mean imprisonment.
If you want our route I can share gpx files.
Always keep WAZE on. Works 80% of the time

Qs:
Did you ride down or trailer?
Did you use bluetooth comms?
Did you finally scrub off tou chicken strips?

Qs:
Did you ride down or trailer?
Did you use bluetooth comms?
Did you finally scrub off tou chicken strips?
We had one trailer for emergencies. 1 sport bike on it all the way. One bike on it on return journey due to clutch failure.
All had bluetooth, we called each other if needed, instead of using mesh or group intercomm. I believe talking and riding is risky especially if you are 30 to 40% over posted limits.
My tires are worn equally everywhere, actually more on sides.
Please test everything before the ride, even your gear.

Did you ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, and what did you think of it? I was told that it gets monotonous after a while because of the low speed limits and/or tourists. I'm planning on leaving from Elmira, NY, taking 15 to 81 to Skyline Drive to BRP to the Dragon. On another forum they suggested I skip BRP altogether and spend more time on the Cherohala Skyway and other roads around the Dragon instead.

Back
Top Bottom