Supersport to a naked? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport to a naked?

Oh I've been eyeing down a Tuono for quite some time. Unfortunately the Tuono is a bit outof my price range, and I also don't have that kinda money to maintain it. And if that were even to get stolen, I'd be a lot more upset than losing a 2009 ZX6R lol :ROFLMAO:.

What price range do you want to be in then? I came here to suggest Tuono or S1000R because at that point your pretty much riding a full blown super bike but with a handlebar and no fairing. I had a Tuono and before that the same year ZX-6R as you. Loved the Tuono. Believe it or not you have to wind out a Tuono pretty hard to get to the big power as well. *I haven't rode a newer gen 1100 though.

If your in the $6000ish range then I personally would stick with a supersport. Even though I really don't need it I want the cool components like brakes and suspension. I'm probably an outlier though as I do not mind the ergos of supersports and insurance isn't much of a factor for myself at this point in my riding career.

Oh one other thing. You mention not being in a rush to replace your bike. You might want to rethink that after TD settles. You don't really want a lapse in riding/insurance history or it could jack with your rates. Check with some companies but I think the grace period is only a couple months.

Years ago i had my Wing and a Ducati SS in the garage. Then things evolved, and i bought a retired race Ducati SS for the track. It became apparent very quickly that the street SS wasn't needed anymore, so i sold it and bought a much more practical (and comfortable) bike to replace it. A Hypermotard. That resulted in being warned about wheelies a couple of times and a for sale sign appeared on it. Bought a couple of trials bikes to fill the space in the garage.
After my wife's accident, the wing wasn't needed, so it went and i now have the Ducati MTS in its place.
I don't miss supersports at all. But i do miss trackdays sometimes. That's evolution!

Oh I've been eyeing down a Tuono for quite some time. Unfortunately the Tuono is a bit outof my price range, and I also don't have that kinda money to maintain it. And if that were even to get stolen, I'd be a lot more upset than losing a 2009 ZX6R lol :ROFLMAO:.

I have a Second Gen Tuono that I just put for sale after I saw the TDR250 thread (Kijiji 1462032889), but it sounds like you are looking for a newer one.

You definitely wont get that I4 top end hit but for a big twin it spins up nicely as blackcamaro suggests above. Before the Tuono I had an FZ-09 and really prefer the build quality and handling of the Aprilia and my FZ09 had a quite a bit of work done to it...

My main bike is a second gen FZ1, with a bit of work they are a ton of fun too.

Good luck with the decision!

There is also the street triple 765rs which is pretty close to super sport. It's a new model though so used isn't really a thing yet.

While I don't ride ss, a lot of my friends do. The biggest thing I notice is engine rpm and gearing. On most naked bikes you'll bang through a couple gears where an ss will have only just gotten out of first gear. Not a good or bad thing but different. Then again, I have an up and down quick shifter so it's just an excuse to use it more.

Oh one other thing. You mention not being in a rush to replace your bike. You might want to rethink that after TD settles. You don't really want a lapse in riding/insurance history or it could jack with your rates. Check with some companies but I think the grace period is only a couple months.
Ya I have heard this also. I'll ask them on the phone Friday when they provide me with the details of the report. The way TD works is I have paid off my insurance policy for the year as they compound it into 7 months (Mar-Sept) so I won't be paying till March 2020 anyways.....and if I was to cancel I'd get some money back.
But like you say, if I wait too long and cancel my policy, my next insurance company (or even if I go back to TD), they will treat me like a new rider again in terms of how many years I've been insured etc. Huge scam I tell ya isn't it?

I've kinda been eyeing down this one. It is my favorite era of the GSXR. Headlights are nice and it was the last era that provided projector lights also. Seems like a rare colour scheme.
I've narrowed it down to either a GSXR 750 or FZ09. I will definitely try to hop on a FZ09 before I make a final decision, because for all I know I may like it alot more than a super sport. 80km round trip commutes, city riding, weekend twisties....all around the FZ09 logically seems to fit my lifestyle more. I just have a sweet spot in my heart for Super Sports.
If insurance low balls me, I won't even be able to afford a bike over $7000....but if they offer a reasonable amount, I'll be able to spend anywhere from $6000-$8000
2009 GSXR 750 | Sport Bikes | Hamilton | Kijiji

FZ09 all day, every day. Can get them with any mods you'd like for a reasonable price, insurance is either the same or lower than a 600. Can get a small windscreen if the wind bothers you (I didn't add one to my old one). You can try out a Street Triple as well if you're curious, but I haven't had the chance to ride one to compare.

You will also be able to get a ~2016 FZ rather than a <2010 SS bike, which helps with reliability.

The supersports are more comfortable to ride above 120 (and get quite windy for long periods above 150) but it's the trade you make for usability in most riding conditions. If you're commuting on it at all, you'll appreciate that it's much easier to in traffic (clutch is easier to use, you can turn on a dime, you can turn your head a lot easier since it isn't on an aggressive angle, etc.).

I did go back to a 1000cc after a year of owning an FZ09 because I missed the look and the power (it would be roughly similar to a 600 in power), but I still miss my FZ and would like to get one as a second bike eventually.

I like that GSXR. I also had a 2007 600 and it was a good solid bike. I never rode a 750. It does look clean and low mileage but with that said there is no way I’m paying $7500 for a 10 year old Japanese super sport. $6000-6500.

I have the solution ;) winter is coming, buy a ural with a sidecar and sell that once you find a nice something to replace it (y)
nobody is going to steal a ural side hack.

I think of the Tuono as sort of a half-naked as it has semi-fairings and an RSV4-like windscreen. Even then, at certain highway speeds, once in a while I find myself wishing it had just a little more wind protection. I'd be curious to try an FZ09 for its flickability and torquey motor but as a true naked I sort of expect its highway ride to be fatiguing over time. The again, maybe the airflow is mostly laminar and buffeting is low...

Regardless, it's gonna take a stick of dynamite to separate me and the whatever-it-is-naked Thunderbuggy. :)

Some real good information and genuine opinions on this thread! Very informative!! :)

I've kinda been eyeing down this one. It is my favorite era of the GSXR. Headlights are nice and it was the last era that provided projector lights also. Seems like a rare colour scheme.
I've narrowed it down to either a GSXR 750 or FZ09. I will definitely try to hop on a FZ09 before I make a final decision, because for all I know I may like it alot more than a super sport. 80km round trip commutes, city riding, weekend twisties....all around the FZ09 logically seems to fit my lifestyle more. I just have a sweet spot in my heart for Super Sports.
If insurance low balls me, I won't even be able to afford a bike over $7000....but if they offer a reasonable amount, I'll be able to spend anywhere from $6000-$8000
2009 GSXR 750 | Sport Bikes | Hamilton | Kijiji
@arogal : I've got a friend with that gen of gsxr750. Burnt orange. Ohlins shock. She's bought an s1000rr and was thinking of selling her gsxr.

Much better pricing than the one in that kijiji link.

Pm me if you want her contact info.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

A SS is fun for 5% of Ontario roads. The other 95% is more fun on a upright or even cruiser. I've had all at the same time and usually took the cruiser over the 09 GSXR1000 for street riding. My GSXR600's were only really fun at the track.
I now sold all, got a Multistrada, essentially a 160hp naked that you can put bags on, and have no desire to add a SS bike to the garage for any reason.
My advice: if you commute reasonable distance on any 400 series hwy and/or like doing 500KM+ day rides then get an upright that has some wind protection.
A CBR650F should be considered as it's sporty, has power where you want it, looks good, is easy to keep clean, reliable, and is all-day comfortable. Plenty of 2014+ in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom