Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie

Good job guys! It's a gorgeous area to ride in :) i'm a bit jealous

how many KMs did you end up doing?

Well thats in the bag. Thanks Shane - nothing like an 1100 km run to blow the rust off a long break.

Yep great ride today we covered some great roads, also just over 1000km for me today, a new personal best :D

Nice riding with you all

Big thanks to @shanekingsley for organizing this, as well as the others for joining us.

I managed with 934 kms at the end of it.
Great run and it was a blast.

Hope to do it again.
Does a summer solstice happen once a year only? ;)

When I got to Huntsville I decided to head north and see what happens. Ended up doing almost the entire route and only had to make two small changes. Left the house at 5:15am and arrived back home at 10pm, which is about an hour more than I had planned. Overall just under 17hrs and 1350km. Highlights were riding Old Barry's Bay Road and the Hurdville/McDougall Road combo.
Nice riding with you all today!

I'm sure it was you guys, I ended up doing a similar ride, however spent a night at a friends house in Ottawa and then rode back today, didn't have any Sat or Sun plans so split it up. I still have to do screaming heads, maybe next weekend :)
Since you have the T7, then while up at Screaming Heads, try to squeeze in a run along Old Nipissing Trail, Orange Valley Road, Broadbent Road - nice hardpacked gravel roads. And I can't stress how nice the McDougall/Hurdville roads combo is. The sticky in this forum has those roads all mapped out.

please everyone forgive me for not paying attention to a hobby forum very seriously... very very sorry
It's all good.
As I was on my way home I was thinking about the whole iron butt ride thing. No way I could sit on the highways for 1600km without riding into the ditch, but I think I could do 1600km of a similar route we just did in one day. That's only 250km more than I did and some roads really slowed me down - Southwood Road for example was in pretty poor shape and Kushog Lake Road was pretty sandy as well as some sections of South Lavant Road. I could plot a route of faster twisty roads and top gear sweepers with just a little bit of highway and probably get it done in the same amount of time. Surprisingly I wasn't sore when I got home, even with the shorty windscreen all day. I also didn't need much in the way of breaks as long as I was drinking water all day.

I did however tell my wife I would never ride a 17 hour day again, because these things make her rather nervous, so as long as it's 16:59 I should be fine?

Last edited:
I was not sore either -- tired yes, but not sore. I think curvy roads keeps your body moving, which in turn keeps you from getting sore. I have done slab rides of 600km that make me saddle sore and stiff, a day of curves and twists that seems to be less hurtful.

As for covering that route faster... We did not see a single police car in 1200km - that was a bit unusual. Check the ride metrics on your GPS, I could do that route a bit faster on my FJR, I don't think much faster on a DL650.

Since you have the T7, then while up at Screaming Heads, try to squeeze in a run along Old Nipissing Trail, Orange Valley Road, Broadbent Road - nice hardpacked gravel roads. And I can't stress how nice the McDougall/Hurdville roads combo is. The sticky in this forum has those roads all mapped out.

Well, finally made it to screaming heads over the weekend, we had an ADV Camp in Mattawa and for one of the days I did a loop down there. Amazing roads and scenery, lots of gravel :)

Back
Top Bottom