Suggestion for 2 nighter ride on long weekend. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggestion for 2 nighter ride on long weekend.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Thinking about getting some friends together and doing a 2 night ride somewhere on the May long weekend. With this bunch we typically like to go to a point B, check into a hotel/motel, and use that as a base of operations for rides through the day.

Accordingly, somewhere with some decent riding in the vicinity for day trips

We’ve all done lake placid a few times now so I’m thinking elsewhere. Pennsylvania is in mind (passed through some of the nice areas there last year) but I’m not entirely confident on an exact destination.

Suggestions?

Mt. Tremblant

great rates for off ski-season
family suites are available so you're not in separate rooms
cool place to wander around in the evening

National Park is directly north of the village
some nice roads/scenery through it

Pennsylvania is in mind (passed through some of the nice areas there last year) but I’m not entirely confident on an exact destination.

For PA, we normally stay in Lock Haven. Central to a lot of the good roads in the area. There's a Best Western there that's reasonably priced and not divey.

Also stayed in St. Mary's once, at the other end of PA-120. Closer to Benezette where's there's good elk viewing at dusk, less further to ride back to your hotel after the sun sets.

Mt. Tremblant
[..]
National Park is directly north of the village
some nice roads/scenery through it

Roads are twisty but the pavement is shiite. Full of potholes and crumbling asphalt.

Quebec government doesn't put any money into maintenance.

Rode from Sherbrooke south into Vermont. The minute we crossed the border, the roads went from looking like Afghanistan to... well, Vermont....

was 10 years ago we did a trip through Tremblant
guess there's been no mtce since
too bad, the park was a nice ride back then

Last edited:
Another long weekend destination is the New England area. The roads around Mt Washington are great, my favorite is NH-112 between Conway and Lincoln in the White Mountain National Forest, and another good riding spot in the area is the Green Mountain National Forest in VT.

Just hang out where all the ski resorts are. Mountains = twisty roads. Jay Peak, Smugglers, etc.

Just hang out where all the ski resorts are. Mountains = twisty roads. Jay Peak, Smugglers, etc.

Good advice. I'd add that where there are rivers, the roads tend to be fun as well. If you can find mountains and rivers, that's usually twisty gold.

We did a "theme ride" one long weekend, went hopping from ski resort to ski resort:

TO -> Devil's Elbow -> Calabogie -> Mt Tremblant -> Jay Peak -> Smuggler's Notch -> White Face -> (through Finger Lakes) -> Holiday Valley -> TO

Great big loop around Lake Ontario. So many good roads between and around the resorts.

Last edited:
Coudersport PA is a fast run to good roads. 4-5 hours so we usually get a 1/2 day at each end. 44/144 has been nicely refreshed. The killer on a long weekend is crossing the border. While I don't recommend after dark riding south of the border.....the deer are just crazy numbers...once you hit the QEW I think it's fine so it's just a matter of timing. 2 nights does not leave a lot of time for distance when you are actually looking for fun roads I assume.

Quebec on a long weekend is one big traffic jam in the Tremblant area. Parc Mauricie is a terrific ride but might be too far. I hate going east as means riding into low sun in the morning and worse into low sun coming back across the 401. Headache central.

that's a good point about traffic
Victoria Day weekend it's gonna be nutso in every direction
border crossings too, will not be fun

44/144 has been nicely refreshed.

I think the only pavement in Ontario that was better than 44/144 was that little stretch on HWY 141 out of Rosseau. Amazing that they have refreshed it recently. I need to do a few weekends jaunts to PA this year, no excuses.

I think the only pavement in Ontario that was better than 44/144 was that little stretch on HWY 141 out of Rosseau. Amazing that they have refreshed it recently. I need to do a few weekends jaunts to PA this year, no excuses.
There's also a couple hidden gems north of Kingston that equal the 141 for pavement, but not as sweet for some of the scenery.

3 day trip = I vote Deals Gap! 1 day down, 1 day riding there, 1 day back

Thanks all. The Dragon is out - I’d do it in 3 days. The others (including my wife) are not interested in 1000+km days.

We’ve done the tremblant thing more than a few times as well.

Thanks for the PA suggestions. Aside from the unfortunate QEW stretch and the border (although at least there are multiple options for crossing in the Niagara area) one of those may fit the bill.

For PA , Williamsport base offers access to great riding roads and as one of the bigger towns many options for accommodation and restaurants for apres-ride.
Note however that accommodations prices can increase significantly in the summer when the World Series for little league baseball or for Penn State football home games in the fall.

how about NY VT NH area?
4 of us usewd this VRBO in VT as home base for riding the area

looks like it's still available for Vic's Birthday weekend

Thinking about getting some friends together and doing a 2 night ride somewhere on the May long weekend. With this bunch we typically like to go to a point B, check into a hotel/motel, and use that as a base of operations for rides through the day.

Accordingly, somewhere with some decent riding in the vicinity for day trips

We’ve all done lake placid a few times now so I’m thinking elsewhere. Pennsylvania is in mind (passed through some of the nice areas there last year) but I’m not entirely confident on an exact destination.

Suggestions?

So far, all of the suggestions re: PA are all great ones.
I've base-camped out of St.Mary's, Williamsport & State College.

The last few times, we've been staying at the Black Forest Inn near Lock Haven. It's right on 44 not far from the 144 split. Reasonable rooms (super-basic) but has a cool lodge/restaurant/bar attached with an awesome back patio and outdoor fireplace. The website is terrible and isn't updated very frequently. It works for us, YMMV.

Rob

Reactions: J_F
For PA , Williamsport base offers access to great riding roads and as one of the bigger towns many options for accommodation and restaurants for apres-ride.
Note however that accommodations prices can increase significantly in the summer when the World Series for little league baseball or for Penn State football home games in the fall.

Little League World Series this year is August 20-30

Back
Top Bottom