Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread | Page 406 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stupidly overpriced motorcycle for sale thread

73bcd357-9cfb-4853-8c7d-994d027cd527
OMG, I think this might be the first time I've EVER seen rust on cams!

OMG, I think this might be the first time I've EVER seen rust on cams!
Planes like to destroy cams when sitting unless they are properly prepared for a nap. I agree, on a bike, it's rare to see internal rust (although leaving it open for years blurs internal and external)

It is entirely original after 40+ years, someone might be willing to pay that - but not me.
I was shocked that it was actually in original condition INCLUDING THE 4-4 PIPES and not some "custom cafe racer" as interpreted by a doofus with a hacksaw and a rattle can of flat black Rustoleum.

It does seem a little pricy though.

Oh Brampton.... you never fail to produce....

I love when manufacturers put on a sticker kit as a 'special edition' and punters are somehow convinced it doubles the value of the bike...

I had a ZX-14 'special edition' that had iridescent flame stickers that the previous owner had (thankfully) peeled off. Did I overpay!?

He'd be lucky to get 8k
1655314175183.png

Is it a big deal if some higher mileage listings don't know if the valves were ever adjusted or checked?

Is it a big deal if some higher mileage listings don't know if the valves were ever adjusted or checked?
One owner, Big problem. Many owners, big question mark. Good chance the person piling on miles was on top of maintenance even if the most recent owner doesnt know anything. If you can get access to the plugs a compression and/or leakdown test gives you a decent indication of the current state of the engine.

Yes and no. Just assume it means it was never done, look at the inspection interval and decide how bad it could be. I took a gamble on this once and *just* squeaked by without consequences (immediately checked the valves - one valve was at zero clearance, cam lobe was a little burned looking, but no other apparent damage. Also, it was a GS500)

Edit: To be clear, the bike in this story had unambiguously blown past multiple valve clearance checks (owner thought they were a frivolity)

Yes and no. Just assume it means it was never done, look at the inspection interval and decide how bad it could be. I took a gamble on this once and *just* squeaked by without consequences (immediately checked the valves - one valve was at zero clearance, cam lobe was a little burned looking, but no other apparent damage. Also, it was a GS500)

Edit: To be clear, the bike in this story had unambiguously blown past multiple valve clearance checks (owner thought they were a frivolity)
GS500s seem especially fussy that way. Maybe because they have so many first time owners ?

Back
Top Bottom