Stupid but serious question. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stupid but serious question.

Dimitri

Why is it that the closest thing to a motorcycle seat for kids is listed for scooters?

And it's a running April Fool's joke to put one on a bike?

Granted I'd never take one on a highway, but on local traffic roads, I don't see why there is a difference between strapping my kids on my hybrid in a Thule and the bike.

Why is it that the closest thing to a motorcycle seat for kids is listed for scooters?

Granted I'd never take one on a highway, but on local traffic roads, I don't see why there is a difference between strapping my kids on my hybrid in a Thule and the bike.
I don't like the seats mounted high on a bicycle either. In the unlikely event of a crash, the kid it getting slammed into the ground hard. I stuck with a trailer for kids as it was far safer imo. Low chance of it ever tipping over and if it did they were starting pretty close to the ground.

In Ontario, I think you can get nailed for passenger unable to reach the foot pegs but I could be wrong.

Being sold from Givi I think the idea is for low CC bikes/scooters and for local traffic only in area's that have bike/scooter traffic all year?

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture was the squirrel sling shots one sees on YouTube.

I don't like the idea of it here with our idiot drivers, city streets, highways or byways.

It could be OK in a community where scooters and small bikes were common all year. If mom or dad has to run an errand and there's no baby sitter, enjoy the time together. Maybe it would work in one of those US golf towns where the carts can be driven on the streets.

@GreyGhost makes an interesting point taken mathematically. If something (A kid's head) is a foot above ground vertically and the package tips 90° in one second the travel is 1.6 feet in one second. If the height is four feet the travel distance is 6.28 feet in the same time.

The other factor is the higher centre of gravity. On my Connie a full tank of gas made it noticeably more top heavy when stopped.

@GreyGhost makes an interesting point taken mathematically. If something (A kid's head) is a foot above ground vertically and the package tips 90° in one second the travel is 1.6 feet in one second. If the height is four feet the travel distance is 6.28 feet in the same time.
A kids head will be much higher than 4' when sitting on the passenger seat of most non-cruiser bikes. For example, a 1250gs (admittedly tall) has a rider seat height of ~34". Passenger seat about 3" above that. A seated five year old is ~21" tall. A seated eight year old is ~24" tall. That puts the top of their head at ~5'. I sure as hell wouldn't want my head slammed into the pavement from 5' regardless of protection I was wearing.

I can only assume it’s because those types of scooters typically have a flatter and wider passenger seat than most motorcycles. Appears to be more stable than even my X seat. Which is admittedly wider than my other bikes.

As for strapping kids we have the trailer but put them up in those child seats above the rear seat as it’s easier to ride with them, and the trailer gets heavy as F with 2 kids in it.

EDIT: rear wheel not above the rear seat. Little one loves it.

Last edited:
Different market. Seat is aimed at people who NEED to get around the area on two wheels. e.g. Dropping the kid off at school/daycare.
Most motorcycles are aimed at people who WANT to get around a wider area during their recreation time. e.g. pleasure riding.

A kids head will be much higher than 4' when sitting on the passenger seat of most non-cruiser bikes.

Although seat or no seat the height is similar.

Different market. Seat is aimed at people who NEED to get around the area on two wheels. e.g. Dropping the kid off at school/daycare.
Most motorcycles are aimed at people who WANT to get around a wider area during their recreation time. e.g. pleasure riding.

Dropping the kids off at school isn't the issue. Short trip I am sure a 5-6 year old who can reach the foot pegs will handle it.

Taking a 5-6 year old who can reach the rear pegs out for an hour or two, distractions happen and a more contained seat is probably best.

Although seat or no seat the height is similar.

Dropping the kids off at school isn't the issue. Short trip I am sure a 5-6 year old who can reach the foot pegs will handle it.

Taking a 5-6 year old who can reach the rear pegs out for an hour or two, distractions happen and a more contained seat is probably best.
My thought was with a normal flat motorcycle seat, they have a could chance of coming off the bike and free-falling. The more constrained they are, the more likely you play crack the whip with your kid. If they stay attached to the bike, they are falling faster than in free fall (cog of the bike falls with gravity, kid is at a much larger radius so about double the acceleration).

Seriously, you know it's not very good idea.Do right thing and wait till they are old enough.

Nevermind their age now. I don't want anyone on the bike, at least not this one at this point in my riding career. It's my first season and 2up seems like something I should wait for.

There is a reason first "mod" I did to the bike was adding a rear rack which replaces the rear seat. Slowed down them asking to ride.

IMG_20210707_221018_243.jpg

They'll get to ride my second bike in about 3 years. What ever that might be.

Nevermind their age now. I don't want anyone on the bike, at least not this one at this point in my riding career. It's my first season and 2up seems like something I should wait for.

There is a reason first "mod" I did to the bike was adding a rear rack which replaces the rear seat. Slowed down them asking to ride.

View attachment 50254

They'll get to ride my second bike in about 3 years. What ever that might be.
Good attitude. The number of people that do demo rides two up is astonishing. Your first time ever on a bike (often heavier and more powerful than your current ride) and you think a passenger is a good idea? I'm surprised manufacturers even allow it.

My thought was with a normal flat motorcycle seat, they have a could chance of coming off the bike and free-falling. The more constrained they are, the more likely you play crack the whip with your kid.

That makes sense. I'm thinking probably a bike that I can add a backrest for them. I'm more worried about them sliding off if there is no support.

But constraining them too much is likely not going to be good either. Good thought.

Pretty much this. Parking (lack of)/the cost of vehicles/cost of gas/year round riding weather/traffic congestion in Europe means there’s a big difference in the markets. Look at the sheer number of scooter and bike models available there that we don’t see.

That makes sense. I'm thinking probably a bike that I can add a backrest for them. I'm more worried about them sliding off if there is no support.

But constraining them too much is likely not going to be good either. Good thought.
I like the concept of the belt with handles but I've never tried one. Easy for the kid to grab on, secure but also allow everyone to separate in a crash.

While I've had a few passengers (and good ones at that) I now typically ride solo, so much so that like @Dimitri I have no passenger seat or foot pegs.

Back
Top Bottom