Stunt Charge | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunt Charge

fz07_tristan

Long story short, I got a stunt charge July 2020 for doing a wheelie.
I was supposed to go to court September 2020 and I showed up but they told me to go home and I would be mailed a new date.
It’s now January 2021 and still no mail with a new date.
Is it possible for my case to be thrown out if covid19 keeps delaying court? I’ve heard after 1 year passed and you still haven’t gone to court it’s possible to get it thrown out.

Any help or info is appreciated ? hopefully posting this in the right place.

They more than likely will try to do a Skype and come to a resolution before the year is up

Long story short, I got a stunt charge July 2020 for doing a wheelie.
I was supposed to go to court September 2020 and I showed up but they told me to go home and I would be mailed a new date.
It’s now January 2021 and still no mail with a new date.
Is it possible for my case to be thrown out if covid19 keeps delaying court? I’ve heard after 1 year passed and you still haven’t gone to court it’s possible to get it thrown out.

Any help or info is appreciated ? hopefully posting this in the right place.
Nobody knows yet what will happen with covid delays. It appears that R v Jordan deducts time due to exceptional events outside of the crowns control from the net time but I don't think they were considering a court system that was basically non-functional for 18 months.

Look up 11(b) for information on acquittal based on unreasonable delay. I thought it was at least 18 months before you had a chance, but I could be wrong.

Do you have a lawyer if not get one.
This. Much better than hoping they'll cut you some slack. Getting X-Copper-style paralegal help was the best decision I could've made when I got a big fat speeding ticket and a (slightly spurious) dangerous driving charge many moons ago when I was young and stupid(er). It's a lot more up front, but can save you big over the next few years. They may help with dismissal for the timeliness, but if not, will at least give you a fighting chance of staying insurable.

The right legal help has two-fold benefits: first, and most obviously, they can help navigate the best approach through arbitration, courts, etc. Second, they often are friendly with prosecutors, cops etc, and can help negotiate a friendly deal with minimal fuss. Never underestimate the power of, "Do me a favour on this one..."

In my case, they negotiated a donation to the Ottawa children's hospital (CHEO) in lieu of the full set of charges, which helped massively with future insurance costs. Not sure if they have the same flexibility now, but it's worth a shot. Mine was almost 20 years ago, though, so almost a different world, legally speaking...

You might wanna look up Forch LaRosa, if he's still in the business

Yes GET legal advice on this one. Do NOT expect a crown to "cut you some slack." They don't get promoted and pay incentives based on how many people they cut breaks for. In usual time, (when everyone is driving and the courts are crammed), they offer incentives to get cases cleared quickly. However, the volume of charges is WAY down, because everyone is/was staying home.

Not sure why you think it will only affect you for the next three years. Insurers have access to your COMPLETE driving record, many now routinely look at the past 10 years. It is depending upon the paperwork they have filed with the FSCO, use it to affect your rates for the period of 5 - 7 years. But, doesn't mean they can't use this as a reason not to take you as a client to begin with. They won't come right out and tell you they don't want you, instead all things being equal another rider may get a quote for $3000 per year, whereas yours may be $$7 - 10,000, just to "discourage" you.

As the disclaimer on this forum says. No one here can provide you with proper legal advice. Mine is just from the perspective of an ex-copper, (Not one who works for the company of the same name)...lol

I hired this Xcopper guy to defend my wife for "careless driving", she T-boned this idiot. Judgment came and I called him later that day and he said he had gotten it reduced to "improper left turn",

You realize that's actually a MASSIVE WIN, right?

Careless is an extremely serious charge.

"Improper left turn" is a low severity ticket in the grand scheme of things.

Careless driving or Dangerous driving is a kiss of death when it comes to insurance for 3 years, carries 6 demerit points, and a fine of up to $2500. You also risk your insurer refusing to renew you or outright cancelling you.

Improper left turn will be handled much more generously as a simple points infraction - 2 points, $110 ticket, and if there was no accident involved your insurance company might not even care. If there *was* an accident involved, well, even having a ticket completely dismissed will not change the outcome of your insurance company dinging you for it, but it could be the difference between a rate increase (or being able to use your accident forgiveness and walk away clear) versus the double whammy of the accident claim AND the careless charge and getting cancelled immediately.

This is a win... a BIG win.

Who the hell does a wheelie and then stops when a cop lights them up? Really?

Someone who doesn’t want a stunt ticket turned into a criminal charge of flight from Police and risk screwing up their entire life with a criminal record and jail time?
Was this even a serious question?

I'm going to help out a new member with some very valuable information.

In several posts you have been given really good, sound advice. In one post you were given ludicrous advice. I think you can discern the difference.

I wish you good luck with the outcome and hope you recognized the learning moment for what it was.

Edit: Well, looks like the sausage's post is gone...nothing to see here, carry on selecting solid legal council.

Last edited:
Masterful? That's some high praise, PP . Troll, yes. Masterful, not so much.

I think she uses GTAM in a similar way that I do, mainly for entertainment.
Sometimes trolling, sometimes venting, sometimes normal posts....whatever mood she happens to be in.
Meh.

Back
Top Bottom