Struggling financially and getting frustrated? | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Struggling financially and getting frustrated?

Flips are easier if you are in the "industry", the people that struggle are not involved in construction, don't have connections to buy trade price on Hvac and even electrical and plumbing components and are into home depot.

Flippers deserve to be taxed imho and 1 yr as principal residence is not long enough, but if you set the bar at 3 yrs and they just sat on the property in the right spot, it went up 150k on its own LOL

I was doing a repair at a luxury condo and it wasn't going well. An owner came by and wanted to chat but I wasn't in the mood for their self importance. I told them the only difference between their luxury condo and the bargain joint down the street was that theirs had marble tile in the lobby and the other had carpet.

The same builders make them using the same contractors that use the same materials. With that being said we were equally ****** off.

Do people seriously not realize this? Must of us learned this **** when we were in grade 10, overclocking CPUs because we learned Intel uses the same chip across an entire line but changes the clock speed. Most businesses do the same thing because marketing is how you maximize gains (aka. spend more money on making ppl believe your product is better as opposed to actually making it better.)

So I'm a little surprised the owner in your story didn't know lol

Do people seriously not realize this? Must of us learned this **** when we were in grade 10, overclocking CPUs because we learned Intel uses the same chip across an entire line but changes the clock speed. Most businesses do the same thing because marketing is how you maximize gains (aka. spend more money on making ppl believe your product is better as opposed to actually making it better.)

Apparently it costs 10% more to build a luxury hotel but you can charge twice as much for a room.

A huge number of people have no idea of what they own after they buy a condo.

They sell the "luxury" but try asking the sales/marketing department what that means. It presents lots of "better", "soundproof", "high quality", etc. but no actual products or methods that are any better. Fwiw, my understanding is information provided by sales staff is not binding so some even outright lie as there are no repercussions. The actual contract you sign will likely just have the base "complies with applicable codes". Even one I worked on that started at $1.2M for 400 sq ft 15 years ago was similar in the contract. That particular developer really cared and did build something special, but they are in the minority and they were not contractually obligated to do better than minimum standard.

Last edited:
Ad from 1963
Minimum Wage was $1/hr!
$1x 40hrs = $40 week
$40 x 52 weeks = $2,080 year
$16,745 ÷ $2,080 = 8 years
Same house today is at least $1,000,000!
Minimum Wage is $14/hr!
$14/hr = $560 week
$560 x 52 weeks = $29,120
$1,000,000 ÷ $29,120 = 34.34 years

So happy I was born in the 90's. Add in cell phone bills, netflix subscriptions, outrageous insurance rates caused by all the scammers and fakers claiming fake injuries, **** interest return rates from the bank, 80k in university debt, I could go on and on how much tougher it is for this generation. And yes I realize not everyone needs netflix but that is a drop in the bucket at this point.

Attachments

• 117337610_649223329279193_6408322182496200565_n.jpg
    117337610_649223329279193_6408322182496200565_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So happy I was born in the 50's, we got to see and do **** you guys can't even imagine.

You had access to all sorts of magic cleaning/killing fluids that have now been replaced by manual labor.

Ah yes, the good old days when you could buy 100% DEET at Canadian Tire and instantly dissolve anything plastic that touched your skin: nylon fabrics, GORE-TEX clothing, sunglasses, flip flops, tents, etc.

But totally safe for human use!

Ah yes, the good old days when you could buy 100% DEET at Canadian Tire ...
Oh my you are a young one, I remember running along behind the DDT spray trucks.
We played with lead, mercury, asbestos and gunpowder.

They said there were no long term effects ......
Then they changed their tune and told us all that stuff was going to warp our babies :|

You had access to all sorts of magic cleaning/killing fluids that have now been replaced by manual labor.
Most of my favourites are gone. I kindergarten we got to play Mercury hockey (liquid mercury) and sculpt with asbestos clay. DDT, Sevin, Muskol (deet), Strychnine made insect control easy.

Most of my favourites are gone. I kindergarten we got to play Mercury hockey (liquid mercury) and sculpt with asbestos clay. DDT, Sevin, Muskol (deet), Strychnine made insect control easy.
I was talking to an old-timer that worked on planes. I cant remember what they washed them with (maybe fluoro-carbons?) But they said it was magic. The plane would be covered in dirt and oil, you spray it down and let it drip off and it would be sparkling.

I was talking to an old-timer that worked on planes. I cant remember what they washed them with (maybe fluoro-carbons?) But they said it was magic. The plane would be covered in dirt and oil, you spray it down and let it drip off and it would be sparkling.

Carbon tet? I still have a fire extinguisher filled with the stuff.

From the smell you would think it's explosive but it only blows holes in the ozone layer. Worked as spot remover, dry cleaner and a bunch of other things, just hold your breath.

It was used in automatic fire extinguishers pre electronics. A fragile bottle of the stuff was put on a heat sensitive bracket that let the bottle drop if the temperature got too high.

Back to finances, in the good old days pop bottles made of glass were worth a penny. Ontario got conned into non returnables. A penny wasn't much but (Damn I'm old) I remember a single scoop ice cream cone being six cents, a double was ten. The price increase of ice cream and houses seem to be linked at 100 times the good old days.

Without sounding old, there is an absolute that our driven consumerism is a contributing factor to our younger population 'making ends meet' . Monthly cell phone and data, netflix, social means meeting friends 'out' not having friends in (or it used to LOL) , your car must reflect the station in life you would like to have. gym memberships , travel is required to be well rounded.
Stuff my parents never had to deal with, but I couldn't live without.

Without sounding old, there is an absolute that our driven consumerism is a contributing factor to our younger population 'making ends meet' . Monthly cell phone and data, netflix, social means meeting friends 'out' not having friends in (or it used to LOL) , your car must reflect the station in life you would like to have. gym memberships , travel is required to be well rounded.
Stuff my parents never had to deal with, but I couldn't live without.
Some of it is a vicious cycle. In my grandparents time and partially my parents, you had one car, maybe a tv (with antenna) and a home phone line. Normally the father worked and the wife took care of the house. That was financially viable.

As prices rose, both parents had to work to be financially viable (or both parents chose to work in more and more cases driving up prices? chicken and egg). Then two vehicles makes life much more convenient (or may be a necessity because of childcare and business hours) but that drives up expenses. Nobody is home anymore and they spend a lot of time away from land lines so cell phones help to keep track of people and update them on constantly changing plans.

As far as the rat race and needing to dress/drive/entertain at a level commiserate with your desired station in the social pecking order, that annoys me and I don't play along with that game (probably to my detriment). I do what makes me happy, not what others think I should do.

As far as the rat race and needing to dress/drive/entertain at a level commiserate with your desired station in the social pecking order, that annoys me and I don't play along with that game (probably to my detriment). I do what makes me happy, not what others think I should do.

As I type this the band of my $8,000. wrist watch is banging on the desktop and quite annoying. It does not tell time as accurate as my phone. So what are you on about, this keeping up appearances?? LOL

As I type this the band of my $8,000. wrist watch is banging on the desktop and quite annoying. It does not tell time as accurate as my phone. So what are you on about, this keeping up appearances?? LOL
I'm not saying I don't own anything nice or frivolous, I just don't do it because it is expected. That makes something like a watch easier for me to justify than a fancy car as the car is a constant drain on cashflow that never stops. The watch is buy once, cry once (and then repeat but you can stop at any time and if you were smart about your purchases, you can recover much of your original capital if you so desire). I am annoyed at the garmin watch/gps/fitness tracker thing. It looks too much like a watch so I very rarely wear good watches anymore. You look like a weirdo with two watches. The first few generations of fitness trackers were plain black bands with an obvious purpose and it was more socially acceptable to wear a watch plus the tracker.

Remember black and white television :|

Times change, what is important and valuable today is tomorrows garbage.

Back
Top Bottom