Stinger trailer experiences . | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stinger trailer experiences .

pfbmgd

Looking at buying a stinger trailer to tow my vrod out east . Anyone use one ? I was thinking about a covered trailer . As I think the open might damage the bike while towing .

I'm limited to the size of trailer as the tow vehicle is crv .

How would an open trailer damage the bike while towing? ...unless you crash, it's no different than riding the bike in regards to damage from the elements.

$2000 is a bit steep for a 1 trick pony.

If you're budget is 2k and you have a limited load with the CRV, have a look at the folding trailers from Harbour Freight. If you can't be bothered to cross the border,nk Royal Distrubuting stocks the same trailer. You have to build it yourself and also buy the wood/wheel choke on top of that.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2017-Fall-Winter/#300/z

I did mine for about $550 all-in with all the hardware, wood, ramp and wheel choke from Harbour Freight.

It's less than 500lbs and can do more than just tow a single bike.

How would an open trailer damage the bike while towing?

you aren't riding your bike when its snowing or slushy salt outside, or riding it 100+km/h with 18 wheelers
tossing water and road debiries out.

but you can for sure trailer your bike in those conditions.

There's one for sale for $950 on the careers section, highly recommend that.

Id get it but even broken down it won't fit in my garage....now the "trailer in a bag" system I'd be all over.

I`m just thinking the stones thrown up from the tow vehicle for damage .

It's impractical to strap down a cover so that it won't flap in the wind - and highway speed is like having a hurricane-force wind making it flap. It's quite likely to do more damage than having the bike out in the open.

you aren't riding your bike when its snowing or slushy salt outside, or riding it 100+km/h with 18 wheelers
tossing water and road debiries out.

but you can for sure trailer your bike in those conditions.

Ah right. Didn't think of salt getting splashed in winter.
I'm often riding at highway speeds in the rain past 18 wheelers tossing water and road debris though.

Not many options for a CRV + enclosed trailer though.
Small enclosed at 850-1000lbs + bike is right close to it's 1500lb towing capacity. I was looking at CRV's a few months ago but went with the Honda Odyssey minivan for the 3500lb tow rating with the bigger V6 engine.

If it's stones you're worried about, you can make a front cover/wall on the foldable trailer. We made detachable sidewalls that are only a foot high so I can use them as ramps.

Use one for a Burgman, no issues with stones. You will get your baby dirty though but that takes a extra ten minutes of cleaning. The one thing that is a issue is the low rail. Enter and exits of highways have to be at a angle if there is any elevation changes. The Stinger is very stable and you are using your bikes suspension so do not completely collapse the shocks. I have used it thousands of miles, just periodically check all fastenings and anything bolted. See some of the new ones have a standard ball coupling, the pin is a better hookup. Use it with a F150 and a Ecoboost Escape. Folds down to about 4' x 4'. Overpriced but who gives a hoot, just a hobby!

How would an open trailer damage the bike while towing? ...unless you crash, it's no different than riding the bike in regards to damage from the elements.

$2000 is a bit steep for a 1 trick pony.

If you're budget is 2k and you have a limited load with the CRV, have a look at the folding trailers from Harbour Freight. If you can't be bothered to cross the border,nk Royal Distrubuting stocks the same trailer. You have to build it yourself and also buy the wood/wheel choke on top of that.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2017-Fall-Winter/#300/z

I did mine for about $550 all-in with all the hardware, wood, ramp and wheel choke from Harbour Freight.

It's less than 500lbs and can do more than just tow a single bike.
\

+1

I got one last year and put a Pitbull System on it. Didn't even need a front chock after (I still strapped it down because watching the handle bars slam left and right made me nervous). I've ran over the railroads at Shannonville at 80km/h in my RAV4, scared the **** out of myself and my buddy, but everything was fine...nothing moved lol

If you're pulling with a CRV it'll be like my RAV4. Stinger is a waste of money and a lot less customization if you want to go down that route (you will).

My god, snow and salt splashing on a bike? The horror!!!

I towed a motorcycle from Montreal last year in winter, zero issues.
Not that I expected any.
And as Brian said, don't use a cover.

Open trailers are affordable. Closed ones usually at least double the price for the size.

Don't use a tarp or anything to try to shield the bike...as mentioned, it WILL flap like crazy and this is what it does to paint.

8715044077_84ec665c86.jpg

Enclosed trailers are great and all, but a small tow vehicle limits them - it's unlikely that the *weight* will be an issue as much as the frontal area - that drag requires FAR more power (especially at speeds over 80K) then the weight ever will.

Ideally, something just on the front of the bike to deflect stones and such coming directly from the front is your best bet for open towing - the rest, well.....at your destination hit the nearest pay-and-spray and power wash it down. If you can find one with the no-spot water option (which runs the water through a demineralization filter) you can actually get your bike almost spotless easy enough.

A single snowmobile trailer works great for towing a bike, guard up front keeps the road debris off you bike, loading is very easy as the trailer tilts and easy to ride up in to chauk and tie down, I can do it alone in less the 5 min
2e0kd9u.jpg

Whatever happened to the Trailer in a Bag system? Seemed like a great solution but don't see it anymore.

Ive got 2 issues preventing a trailer:

1. Small car to tow with
2. Small garage to store it. Even the Stinger takes a fair bit of space at about 5'x5'x3' when folded down.

With the HD depot option their trailers are light enough I guess for use once in a while...probably 200 or so pounds. Add the bike and you're at 700-800lbs for a tow capacity of 1000....add a passenger in the car and you're flying close to that line (not including safety margin I'm sure)

Is it safe to tow the trailer with no bike aboard it ?

Is it safe to tow the trailer with no bike aboard it ?

A stinger style will bounce a LOT without a bike on it since the trailer itself has no suspension, it uses the bike suspension to smooth out the ride.

FYI guys, $15 for a motorcycle trailer rental at Uhaul.

For the amount of times most of you will actually use one, it's not worth owning and maintaining it.

I'm a bit proponent of the Uhaul motorcycle trailers, but I wouldn't want to use it for a long trip because even at $15/day, that adds up....a 2 week trip to FL for bike week for example will run you close to $300 after taxes, and as convenient as they are...they are tanks - heavy as hell and not particularly pretty either.

Do you tow your passengers? If yes then you're a cruel person. If no, then their weight doesn't count towards the tow capacity.

Actually, on some vehicles passengers *can* affect towing capacities since passengers reduce a vehicles carrying capacity, which can negatively and directly affect the available tongue weight capacity for the trailer. Even a light MC on a light MC trailer will still weigh 1000# by the time you're said and done (and that number goes up exponentially with a bigger trailer and heavier bike), so at the standard and safe 15% tongue weight figure even with the 1000# trailer...that's 150 pounds the vehicle needs to carry.

If you have 4 big passengers in a car....it's very possible a car with a low towing capacity is already at it's max GVWR and GAWR weight limitations, and technically, in that scenario...your tow rating can be lowered to zero since the vehicle is already loaded to it's capacity - there's none left to add on the tongue and load weight of a trailer in addition.

The calculations and such that make this scenario possible get a bit confusing, but it's not uncommon. Unfortunately most people don't understand it well enough and end up grossly overloading their vehicle in either it's axle loads or (more often) the vehicles ability to safely stop the combination.

Scientifically it makes sense, however, I don't believe the towing capacity is rated for an empty vehicle. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
At any rate, one extra 200lbs person inside the car isn't anything to worry about. Definitely 200lbs inside doesn't equal 200 lbs in the trailer.

And yeah, if you actually want to use a trailer then definitely buy one. I was saying that for people like myself who need it once or twice a year, it ain't worth it. I pondered purchasing one before but as long as I can get it for that 15 dollars I am okay.
Another problem with the Uhaul trailer is that it's heavy so for long trips, it may significantly reduce the fuel economy.

Last edited:
Scientifically it makes sense, however, I don't believe the towing capacity is rated for an empty vehicle. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

OK, you asked for it. :p

• Passenger loads directly reduce payload capacity

• Payload capacity is basically the sum of all items (and persons) inside the vehicle that apply weight to the vehicles axles. EVERYTHING reduces it, including all the junk in your trunk, etc etc.

• Most average midside cars built today have total payload capacities in the 800 to 1100# range, so 4 fat people in the car and it's already legally overloaded sitting in your driveway. A surprising number of light duty "grocery getter" spec pickup trucks are only in the 1000-1500# cargo capacity range based on their GVWR minus their curb weight. (This is NOT to be mistaken with "tow capacity" ranges. This is where people get confused, they are NOT the same!)

• Trailer tongue weight is considered "Payload" since it is weight that is directly transferred to the vehicles axle(s).

So, a midsize car, say, a Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and Mazda6 with a payload capacity of 850#, well, that doesn't go very far if you have much going on. So, 100 pounds worth of stuff in your trunk (for example) leaves only 750# of payload capacity. Say you have 3 people total in the car at an average of 150# each for a total of 450# - now you only have 300 pounds of payload capacity left. Say you have 4 200# people in the car instead, along with that 100# of stuff in the trunk...and blammo, you're now technically overloaded and have zero capacity left for that "lightweight" trailer with the 150# of tongue weight.

Do the math again on a trailer with a 900# cruiser on it, the trailer itself weighs, say...750 pounds (rough weight for a steel single place sled trailer) for a total of 1650#. 15% of that weight (standard safe tongue weight for a tag trailer) = 247# of tongue weight.

Now that vehicle with a 850# payload capacity and 100# in the trunk only has 500# left for passengers.

So, doing the math again for a 1000# tandem deck trailer (again, using the snowmobile trailer example), and 2 800# cruisers, your trailer now weighs 2600# total, with a tongue weight of roughly 400 pounds. At that point you're not only exceeding the tongue weight capacity of most small to midsize cars anyways, but you've used half the payload capacity of the entire car before anything else, much less the driver and passengers.

Anyhow, like I said, it's complicated. Where it really gets interesting is when you start getting into pickup trucks - many people have found out the hard way that their "big burly" half ton truck that has a 10,000 pound tow rating can't actually haul a most fifth wheel or gooseneck trailers at all since all that "capacity" is only for tag trailers - the rear axle simply doesn't have the capacity to carry the much higher (25%) pin weights of a GN/5th. The aforementioned "grocery getter" spec pickup truck with a 1200# payload capacity, well, even worse yet - 4 big 200# passengers, 200# of camping gear, 2 cases of beer and some firewood...and you've maxed out the GVWR - hope you didn't plan on hooking up ANY trailer, much less a 5'th wheel camper. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom