Standing Desks? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Standing Desks?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,
Starting the new job as of Monday and appears that I'll be work from home until January/February at the earliest according to my new managers. I don't really have a proper work space set up in the house, but was considering either adding a standing desk, or something atop my normal desk as it's going to suck being in a seat for a full day.
Not sure what to expect as it's been a while since I did an 'office' job...

Any recommendations for standing desk? Office home setup? I'll be working in the basement as the little one is upstairs with grandma and the little guy will be in daycare for the day.
They're getting me a laptop, monitor, and headset for the job right now. Eventually will be commuting but I have a feeling it'll be delayed depending on how COVID goes this winter.

Both wife and I are WFH - we have adjoining offices in the basement.

Contact center work? You'll probably find the stand up thing a pain, nice when standing -- pain when sitting. Get a really good chair, a standard keyboard and mouse, maybe 2 chairs -- my wife has an office chair AND a LuxFit yoga ball chair she sometimes uses. Make sure your internet connection is bulletproof, set your phone for WIFI calling if you can - I find that comes in clearer.

They are a pain in the ***
I use to have to set them up for users, we went through thousands of $ trying to find good ones that apparently do not exist ymmv.

budget - standing desk converter (little stand for screen + keyboard). might be a good way to decide if you want to spend the money on a full adjustment table. Costco sells these pretty cheap.
mid level - manual height adjustable table. Uses a little hand crank. if you are planning on switching between sit/stand every hour the cranking gets annoying.
high level - electric height adjust. Avoid the cheaper no-name stuff if you are going this route. Motor failure, out of sync legs, small weight limits, impossible to find parts etc. aren't uncommon. personally I wouldn't bother with anything that isn't made by a reputable office furniture company (Herman Miller, SteelCase, Global, etc.)

The latest thing is "smart" height adjustable desks. Kind of a gimmick. I have one at my work and can log into it / control from my phone, set reminders, etc.

IMO a good task chair and a monitor on a proper arm will give you better all-day ergonomics than a standing table. Upgrade that first if you are sitting in a dining room chair and have your monitor on a stack of bibles. I've had a fancy HA table at work for 3 years now and I rarely ever use it. Even the diehard users are probably only standing for 1/4 - 1/3 of the work day.

Slightly off topic but I am still using a Lane office chair that I bought from Costco in the early 2000's (strapped it to the back of a CB450 and rode home one cold winter day). It is looking a little rough but still super comfortable. I have been trying to find a chair to upgrade to and most of them approach audiofoolery levels of marketing wank. I am not paying that much money for wank. I want something comfortable with a decent life. With a comfortable chair and an occasional wander around the house (snack or nature break) I find I have few issues. I did have to buy a clamp on mouse pad as my desk is a little high for a mouse and my shoulder was starting to hurt. That is under my right hand with a MX Master and I have a big trackball I can use left handed to give my right hand a break. Good input devices make a big difference to productivity (also have a spacepilot pro to navigate documents and speed up cad beside the trackball).

Reactions: J_F
Slightly off topic but I am still using a Lane office chair that I bought from Costco in the early 2000's (strapped it to the back of a CB450 and rode home one cold winter day). It is looking a little rough but still super comfortable. I have been trying to find a chair to upgrade to and most of them approach audiofoolery levels of marketing wank. I am not paying that much money for wank. I want something comfortable with a decent life. With a comfortable chair and an occasional wander around the house (snack or nature break) I find I have few issues. I did have to buy a clamp on mouse pad as my desk is a little high for a mouse and my shoulder was starting to hurt. That is under my right hand with a MX Master and I have a big trackball I can use left handed to give my right hand a break. Good input devices make a big difference to productivity (also have a spacepilot pro to navigate documents and speed up cad beside the trackball).
As someone who spent what must be a year of my actual life hours gaming, nothing seems to beat a decent 'gaming chair' in terms of mitigating fatigue from sitting all day.

I bought one of those just before we got sent home for covid. I have to tighten the arms once in awhile and I do wish they were adjustable, but for $200 ill suck it up.

Be mindful of weight capacity and dimensions depending on your own!

As someone who spent what must be a year of my actual life hours gaming, nothing seems to beat a decent 'gaming chair' in terms of mitigating fatigue from sitting all day.

I bought one of those just before we got sent home for covid. I have to tighten the arms once in awhile and I do wish they were adjustable, but for $200 ill suck it up.

Be mindful of weight capacity and dimensions depending on your own!
The gaming chair I have has arm rests that don't go high enough, the thigh area is slightly long, and the seat is dipped forward after a couple of years. I've found it works better for now without the lumbar cushion, as my butt is far enough back that the chair doesn't tip forward, but I then need to keep it as low as possible, so my feet are on the ground.

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions all! Might start off with the Costco solution as it’s $30. I’ve read mixed reviews and theories of standing desks ranging from better than sliced bread to nothing more than a fad.

definitely invest in a good chair...I didn't read all the replies, but from my experience last spring trying to do emergency learning, being in a chair all day sucked...my body ached from head down to toes...standing up and moving around a bit definitely helped...our office staff have your typical long bench for a desktop (as you see in customer service places) and a couple of years ago they got these contraptions that can bring your computer monitor/keyboard up so you can use is standing up as well...they seem to like it...this year, because of classroom size constraints and wanting to maximize distance between my students, I removed my small group table (which was U shaped and took up a ton of room) and opted for two desks (one standard for my laptop/document camera) and a stand up one for me...mine has this piece on the bottom that you can rest your foot and wiggle it back and forth, and it's actually fairly comfortable working that way (it's a desk for kids with ADHD so they can keep their bodies in constant motion without actually moving around the classroom)...look into that desk conversion kit first and if you like it, invest in one like the one I'm using...I can take a picture for you tomorrow if you like...

well, off to a Zoom webinar to learn about how to run an engaging online reading program from Scholastic...ciao! :D

Last edited:
Second the gaming chair... have a look at Andaseat . Tons of adjustability to get it just right. Height adjustable desks will give you the best of both worlds.

I've used one for a few years and love it. It's solidly built and electric with two programmable heights. Hit '1' and it's the height I like for sitting, hit '2' and it's preset for just the right height to stand and type. I bought it at an office furniture store called The Source, and it's solidly built. It's a good size, too, at 30" x 72". In my old office I had an underdesk treadmill that worked well with the desk up, but it got used a lot less than it should. I don't have room for that with my current setup.

My wife just bought a hand crank version from Ikea, and while it's nowhere near as convenient as my power version (the crank takes quite a while), she uses it when she gets stiff in her chair and so is glad to have it.

A halfway point if you're not sure (and the replies above suggest I'm in the minority!) could be one of those spring-loaded desk risers, though good ones aren't cheap, and for me they don't work because I need the rest of the desk, not just the keyboard, mouse and monitor...

You have a laptop. I have spots at home where I can work standing, others sitting. I just tend to move around. Have the full set-up at the desk and then just move the laptop for the change when you want it. At least that is a free place to start.
I think I'll start with this, and the COSTCO option of the laptop riser (or whatever you call it). I'll have dual screens so can use the desk for the majority of the time, and then stand at another area when the need comes. Frankly I might just build a stand in the garage as well if I need some complete silence from the kids.

I'd love to build a complete shed/outside office as that would allow me to have a dedicated space (currently grandma takes up the final bedroom). I'd have to revisit the thread about outdoor structures and permits LoL.

I think I'll start with this, and the COSTCO option of the laptop riser (or whatever you call it). I'll have dual screens so can use the desk for the majority of the time, and then stand at another area when the need comes. Frankly I might just build a stand in the garage as well if I need some complete silence from the kids.

I'd love to build a complete shed/outside office as that would allow me to have a dedicated space (currently grandma takes up the final bedroom). I'd have to revisit the thread about outdoor structures and permits LoL.
I used one of my work benches in the basement as my standing desk, when everyone was working and learning from home it was also the only quite place in the house for meetings.

I spend most of my time working on the couch these days with CHCH reruns in the background.... I guess not the best ergonomic solution though. I also really wish people would stop booking meetings during Green Acres....

Whats wrong with your couch??? It's work from home, just try enjoy it!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

yeah good chair worth it.

Whats wrong with your couch??? It's work from home, just try enjoy it!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

yeah good chair worth it.
Technically nothing...but no couch in the basement, and a 1 year old toddler on the main floor....once the new couch arrives, it may work. But it may be too comfortable to resist NETFLIX and PS4 gaming...

No research required. As soon as you put power in the "shed" a permit is required. Now whether you pull one is a valid question.

Yes I know a few people with shed offices but none so far with "legal" shed offices....

My neighbour plans on building a second story on their detached garage for a home office but they are getting permits etc. I am interested in how that unfolds (typical single car 1940s detached built with 2X4s on a pad).

Yes I know a few people with shed offices but none so far with "legal" shed offices....

My neighbour plans on building a second story on their detached garage for a home office but they are getting permits etc. I am interested in how that unfolds (typical single car 1940s detached built with 2X4s on a pad).
They are adding or rebuilding from pad up? I cant see how an addition would be cost effective as you would have to support the office on posts (which means you need footings which means you are in to the slab . . . ). If they start from the slab, they might get somebody to sign off as it is then a distributed load using graded lumber.

Back
Top Bottom