Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

Just to put things into perspective here; would you rather have a new driver learn driving in a Civic or in a Ferrari?

Stop trying to justify that a new rider should know their limits on a super sport... :rolleyes:
+1 How can they know their limits? They are noobs, they have little to no idea what they are getting into when getting on one of these bikes.

One can only hope they learn fast and are able to asymalate what their perceived limit is.

Quick story...
I borrowed a brand-new ZX-6 Ninja demo bike from Kahuna (when my car was in the tranny shop for almost a week).
I took it from Steeles Ave. W. and Islington down to Lakeshore Blvd. - all the way down Islington Ave!
50 km/h zone almost the whole way, maybe 60 clicks at times. Lots of traffic, slow going. Roads a mess, pavement cracked, potholes.
The bike was not in its element, folks - it was unhappy.
It was so unhappy, I couldn't let my guard down for a millisecond!
If I coughed, or hiccuped the ZX-6 would dart around in its lane. Even shifting my position slightly caused it to veer left or right... yeesh.
'Nervous' handling is an understatement - and the riding position, and seat, pure torture.
Wonderful engine though, smooth and powerful even at low revs.
My point:
Small, light, but definitely NOT a beginner bike! And not really a street bike, even for myself with some 1/4 million kms on me.
Wretched, miserable street bike. Almost enough to put you off riding... down Islington at 50 clicks, anyway, LoL.
Dangerous!? Yes; I would say yes for a n00bie rider looking forward to commuting to work or whatever, in-town.
You guys (and Yamaha and Kawasaki etc.) call them SuperSports - I call them racebikes.
They're not sportbikes, not by the traditional definition that includes competence on the public roads.
Sure, I could have taken 400 south, to 401, to 427 south, to Lakeshore Blvd. W. and enjoyed myself more.
But could/should a rookie rider? No!
If yer gonna be trollin' around town, in traffic, you better make sure you have the correct tool for the job, heheh...
L8R

comparing a car to a bike is just stupid sorry, I understand everyones point but the people here are making it seem like if a new rider does get a SS they WILL CRASH FOR SURE. and thats just not the case.

comparing a car to a bike is just stupid sorry, I understand everyones point but the people here are making it seem like if a new rider does get a SS they WILL CRASH FOR SURE. and thats just not the case.

Who's making that argument?? I think you're arguing a point that no one here is asserting.

thats not the arguement anyone is making...
they are saying their is a greater chance they might crash

drinking and driving doesn't mean you WILL get into an accident, but it increases your odds.

Same type of deal here...
honestly this is a no brainer... i kinda feel stupid having to try to convince someone of this

Its funny because all the older riders I talk to are the ones going back to the smaller bikes. LOL
It is a about the panic situations. Its got nothing to do with respecting the power. This is when a rookie rider will get into trouble on an SS, when instinct kicks in or lack there of. To those that have started on a SS and not gotten hurt congrates and hope your luck keeps going. The one thing I scratch my head about is seeing THOSE GUYS way back in the distance after comming out of the corners on there GSX-R1000. Im no pro but Im not a rook either. You will learn so much more so much faster an a smaller bike and nothing looks cooler then a guy on a 250 spankin a liter bike.
JMHO
I know a broken record, I guess I just felt like typin this time. In the end ride what you want and ride safe. But know this all these vet riders are not just blowing smoke up your a** over and over again. They know what they are talkin about! Are sport would be so much better if we just listened to someone older and wiser more often. Theres my rant for the night! Take it or leave it.
A 250cc spank a liter bike! OK good luck with that one! :pottytrain2:

A 250cc spank a liter bike! OK good luck with that one! :pottytrain2:

There's a couple of kids riding 125's that I'd put some money on in the infield at Cayuga.

Tonto

I have read the first few pages of this sticky and have found it very helpful.

Yes, I am a first time rider and I just purchased a 2008 Honda CBR 125R - Sure its nothing to powerful but I would rather keep my legs as I an still new to driving. Hopefully I get a hang of driven it on the roads and upgrade soon..

See you all on the road :cool:

I have read the first few pages of this sticky and have found it very helpful.

Yes, I am a first time rider and I just purchased a 2008 Honda CBR 125R - Sure its nothing to powerful but I would rather keep my legs as I an still new to driving. Hopefully I get a hang of driven it on the roads and upgrade soon..

See you all on the road :cool:

Good call Sunny, you'll love getting a shot at learning on something smaller and trust me dude, It's your first but doesn't have to be your last.

P.S: You "ride" a motorcycle and "drive" a car :)

Have fun this summer!

I was considering an R6 as a first ride, only because I had no idea what I was facing. I happened to come across this post while online shopping for bikes and I will say that I am seriously reconsidering the idea. I know I have a lot to learn as I have never been on a bike but I had no idea that an R6 as a first ride could also be my last simply by moving my wrist a slight bit. Before I even continue shopping for any bike, I am going to spend a lot more time at my computer reading posts like this. I have a LOT to learn so feel free to pass on some knowledge to the newbie...and let me know what you think is the best first ride. I will be looking again for a used bike in the coming months.

I think the most glaring issue with a "supersports" like an R6, zx-6r, gsx r600, cbr600rr to name a few, is not the lone fact that they have a lot of power. The most "dangerous" factor with those bikes is their designed rider triangle, or geometry.

Those bikes stretch out the rider with low handle bars, rear set pegs. Out of their intended design and use on the track, where riders have unlimited and unobstructed visibility of the road, ideal cornering sight lines and position on the bikes, the same riding position becomes a BIG liability, limiting the rider's visibility in traffic and streets and highway, where most newer riders may spend a majority of their time "honing" their riding skills. The riding position of these bikes puts a lot of weight up front on the handle bars of the bikes, where it may be ideal when the bike is travelling briskly and during cornering, the same position makes the bike feel nervous and hard to manage while on the streets.

Furthermore, their brakes are designed to be at home on the track, where slowing down from high speeds make them feel easy to modulate with lots of reserve. However, when used in slow speeds on the street, they plainly suck, with most being grabby and overly sensitive. I won't even comment on working their clutches and in stop and go city traffic..

I'd actually also argue that the power of most of the 600cc bikes doesn't make them anymore dangerous than other bikes in low-speed street riding, as long as we're talking about a rider with the slightest bit of common sense. These inline-4 bikes make most of their power in the upper region of the rpm, with a bit jump in HP kicking in at 9k rpm or above in many cases, with a comparably "mild" low to mid end kick compared with most v-twin or specially re-turned inline-4 "street" bikes. Therefore, most perceptions about excessive power causing the problem in city riding actually may not be the case.

A less than ideal riding position for the streets, hard to modulate brakes and clutches all combine to give "new" riders problems and distract them when they should be concentrating on the basics of riding and safety techniques. Just my 2 cents.

p.s., I love supersports, they look great and are sexy. I'm just arguing that they are the tools or weapons for a different intended purpose.

You need to learn alot more about sportbike riding postion because its not low bars and high rear set pegs from the factory. Most people/racers change those setting when setting up to ride track. Stock setting are more than upright.

If thats your threoy then a harley or large cruiser with high bars and feet all the way to the front then a newb would never crash.Totallly false

Seating postion has crap to do with the a crash or accident . Its beginners lack of control and panic in unforseen conditions that will result in laying down a bike. Now a 600cc+ and up gets you to that unforeseen condition alot quicker meaning as stops are quick... handling better and take off are more strong to give you that false sence of control which you believe you will have. Most crashes happen at slow speed for beginners, its a fact it the panic that you need to surpress and to always stay in control.

i'v seen way more 125s and 250s go down than 600 plus and up cc.... it just mainly the 600+ loses alot more plastic/fairing:laughing8:

If thats your threoy then a harley or large cruiser with high bars and feet all the way to the front then a newb would never crash.Totallly false

I don't agree with this, as this is not what I said. I believe you're distorting my comments about not ideal riding position for the streets with the other extreme in the spectrum in riding position.

I agree with you about riders' panicking and getting spooked when their bikes can do a lot more in most situations. However, it sounds like you are simply arguing about a rider's ability to control the bike. If you read carefully, you will realize that I'm mainly commenting about the suitability of a new rider riding a supersports in traffic.

R6 is an awesome 1st bike. There isn't a huge problem with power in the city. you have to really want to honk on it to get the rpm up, IT DOESN"T ACCIDENTLY HAPPEN.

All bikes will have an issue if you crack the throttle. Crap, 3 people in M1 exit did wheelies by dropping the clutch.

If you can ride, .. then the R6 is not a bad choice. I find it VERY forgiving and have zero issues with the riding position or power for in town.

I think the size of it intimidates people. But like what was just said, you have to get the rpms way up for it to take you for a ride.

For a 1st bike, you will be thinking the high sounding engine will need to be shifted at 6000rpm anyway, until you know better.

Besides that, all them idgiot drivers out there, its nice to have the power in any gear to save your damn arse.

i had never riden a bike before i went took the cours saturday sunday 3-d day i was on r6.. i have to admit i was scared compare r6 to those 125 it was a huge difference but i never had any problems just take it slow and respect their power.they pick up the speed quick and also stop quick but if u lose it non of that works... but then again depence on the ride i been always been a pusher even on bicycle i use to be wild lol :p ride safe

Not going to lie, a 650 was/is my first bike and I'm enjoying it very much right now but, it was a little awkward at first and, I'm glad I learned how to do all my low-speed driving basics on a 135 enduro bike in the safety course rather than on the 650

I bought myself a 2009 250 ninja three days ago. With some of the mistakes I've made already (accidentally popping the clutch while throttle is still engaged/adding gas on a turn/ down shifting too soon causing the rear wheel to lock) I'm so damn glad I didn't get a 600. I wanted to make this mistakes on something that would be more forgiving. Although I had the finances and urge ready to start off with a CBR600 or R6 I'm glad and so is my body that I stuck with a 250 ninja. All that happened because I read this post before buying. Thank you GTAMOTORCYCLE for educating me and keeping me safe with your great advice.

Back
Top Bottom