Speed cameras to start automatically ticketing on July 6 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed cameras to start automatically ticketing on July 6

Kind of pointless if school isn't even in affect, the only ones getting schooled are the drivers/riders. My neighbour is a teacher, she said 2022 most likely normal return date, friend works for the Government, been told not to return to work till 2023, that when they believe things will be normal.

So for now, I see this a s cash cow

Second time was just recently. Currently with TD and they gave me a terrible quote for my second bike. Called riders choice and they said they would not quote due to have 3 infractions (no ins slip again, 15 over, 30 over)

From what i was toild by a guy that write risk assessments for an insurance company, the non moving violations count as it speaks to a pattern of behaviour and shows how you may approach other aspects of your life, that cound impact the insurance company ie; you got a suspension since you ligitimatly forgot a ticket for parking and it didnt get paid. It counts as a suspension on your record, doesnt really matter why you got it.

From what i was toild by a guy that write risk assessments for an insurance company, the non moving violations count as it speaks to a pattern of behaviour and shows how you may approach other aspects of your life, that cound impact the insurance company ie; you got a suspension since you ligitimatly forgot a ticket for parking and it didnt get paid. It counts as a suspension on your record, doesnt really matter why you got it.

I wouldn't say they're wrong.

I had to play the system earlier in my life to get a supersport because a bunch of moron skill-less "adults" between the ages of 18-25 decided to kill or maim themselves over and over again on SS bikes making it impossible to get one. And now the restrictions are even worse; some should learn to crash on a pinecone instead of a guardrail.

And this is likely why we have speed traps again. A few morons like to go 70 in a school zone so those of us doing 45 are gonna get ****** now. And for the record, I know a moron that got a ticket for going 70 in a school zone.

If you're gonna break the rules, be smart about it (aka. do not put others in danger [e.g. if you're gonna crash, kill yourself and only yourself], do not inconvenience others, leave as little presence as possible, be a ******* ninja) If you're caught, you weren't smart about it.

Last edited:
I have twice gotten tickets for not carrying my insurance card and had it affect my insurance.

First time was with Johnson Insurance 14 years ago. I was told to find a new high risk provider before they drop me (record had missing ins card + 2 tickets for 15 over)

Second time was just recently. Currently with TD and they gave me a terrible quote for my second bike. Called riders choice and they said they would not quote due to have 3 infractions (no ins slip again, 15 over, 30 over)
Interesting, so i looked it up.

“Fail to Surrender Insurance Card” is the charge and is apparently dropped quite frequently if you show up to court with documents proving you coverage during the stop.

Did you go to court?

Last edited:
Kind of pointless if school isn't even in affect, the only ones getting schooled are the drivers/riders. My neighbour is a teacher, she said 2022 most likely normal return date, friend works for the Government, been told not to return to work till 2023, that when they believe things will be normal.

So for now, I see this a s cash cow
I kind of agree with you, but on the flipside it'll provide a time for drivers in the area to become accustomed to the cameras and adjust their driving accordingly. By the time kids are back running around it'll be "safer" for them, or at least that's the theory.

I kind of agree with you, but on the flipside it'll provide a time for drivers in the area to become accustomed to the cameras and adjust their driving accordingly. By the time kids are back running around it'll be "safer" for them, or at least that's the theory.

Would be better if they adjusted the cameras off school hours, and also change all speed limits to digital ones with variable speed/smart sensors. So they do have options if safety was their first priority, however financial is their first. BC does it for some places - Know When to Slow for Weather With Variable Speed Signs | TranBC

Insurance companies will find a way to profit of this in no time. Look at the EU, speed cameras net you demerit points, you get a letter in the mail/digital with the ticket and it has to be assigned to a driver, you get demerit points and insurance goes up as such. I know cause my cousin gets a few tickets there, and he has maxed his points, so assigned his wife, her's are maxed too, so he asked my dad who has an EU license to use his. After a few points, you have to attend a class. This is just the beginning, I'm for safety and all, however this is not the intent of these cameras. If they wanted safer roads, they could start with better and stricter driver education, alas that will never happen, any 10yr old could pass the test if they removed the 16 limit.

Lot's of back n forth arguments here for cash grab and slowing people down.
Not going to argue its not a cash grab but the way police ticket are already cash grabs.

Do you people not drive in areas where there are common radar spots for police?
I see tons of people and myself included slow down in these spots even if there is no cop on waze and then speed up afterwards.
Again, it might not catch everyone but if they put up signage and for the regular people that drive those roads. They will learn to slow down in those spots especially after a few tickets.
This is the best way to slow down most cars in a specific area short of leaving a police officer there.

Better licensing and driver training would be ideal to make the roads safer. But there are larger hurdles to put that in place.

From what i was toild by a guy that write risk assessments for an insurance company, the non moving violations count as it speaks to a pattern of behaviour and shows how you may approach other aspects of your life, that cound impact the insurance company ie; you got a suspension since you ligitimatly forgot a ticket for parking and it didnt get paid. It counts as a suspension on your record, doesnt really matter why you g

if that's the case. victims of car accidents should be able to sue the insurance company for letting bad drivers on the road.
The Insurance showed negligence in providing a license knowingly to a high-risk driver.

Interesting, so i looked it up.

“Fail to Surrender Insurance Card” is the charge and is apparently dropped quite frequently if you show up to court with documents proving you coverage during the stop.

Did you go to court?

Regretfully No.

2 of the tickets (no ins, 30 over) were on the way to the hospital in Ottawa as my twins were being born and it was victoria day. I passed 8 other speed traps without tickets. My wife booked a call-in court date as it was an option but I was busy at work and forgot to call-in.

Regretfully No.

2 of the tickets (no ins, 30 over) were on the way to the hospital in Ottawa as my twins were being born and it was victoria day. I passed 8 other speed traps without tickets. My wife booked a call-in court date as it was an option but I was busy at work and forgot to call-in.
doh.

congrats on the twins, next time..put a reminder in the phone calendar! :)

Some scrappy took it for sure. What genius thought it would be a good idea to place these at street level?? There is one at Jane & Grandravine that's had the lens spray painted over at least 3 times from what I've seen.

Some scrappy took it for sure. What genius thought it would be a good idea to place these at street level?? There is one at Jane & Grandravine that's had the lens spray painted over at least 3 times from what I've seen.
It's a tough call. I have been on the other side of this where someone wanted a job that required an expensive pelican case to be left for months. If it disappeared, I would lose much more than entire job billed. Some clients will agree to cover theft, most won't. Don't these cameras move around? Setting them on poles is a lot of work and has safety implications (and issues picking up SS bikes with tucked plates). For red light cameras, they installed permanent housings at every location of concern and just carry the guts around. It looks like they wanted these to be more portable so they were hoping the 800 lbs would be sufficient. Obviously not. $50 says a tow truck just wrapped a strap around it and drove away.

When we were in Scotland they had average speed cameras, so you couldn't just slow down at the cameras to speed up again, you had to ride the limit between them. Seems like a better system that actually slowed people down
They this same set up throughout Tibet. Drivers would speed along and then just before the second camera would stop and take a break. They seemed to have the system down pat:)

How often are kids in school zones hit by cars? How often does someone die driving/riding into a pole (that now has a camera mounted to it)? Is the cure worse than the disease?

How often are kids in school zones hit by cars?

Have you ever seen helicopter parents dropping off/picking up their crotch goblins at school? Kids running across the road from between cars without looking. It's a gong show.

How often are kids in school zones hit by cars? How often does someone die driving/riding into a pole (that now has a camera mounted to it)? Is the cure worse than the disease?
Kid I knew when I was younger, was hit and had brain damage.
That was back when traffic was light and drivers stopped at signs and lights.
5 & 6 year olds walked themselves six or more blocks to school.
Another kid killed himself riding into a mailbox on his bike.

I'm pretty happy putting a 10k camera on a pole vs. some dude making 100k sitting in a 60K cruiser. That camera nevers plugs up the drivethru line at Tims.

I'm pretty happy putting a 10k camera on a pole vs. some dude making 100k sitting in a 60K cruiser. That camera nevers plugs up the drivethru line at Tims.
Apparently Toronto is renting them for $50K per camera per year. I have no idea what the system actually cost to replace (as part of the contract, redflex picks up that bill). You are correct about plugging up the drivethrough.

What I found interesting is that is disappeared at some point in a three day window. That probably means they aren't doing live uploading. If you know you got a horrible ticket, is it worth the gamble for to add theft over 5K to make the ticket go away?

EDIT:
Damn, it is a provincial requirement that the evidence must be manually collected. It's right in the RFP. Once that becomes popular knowledge they are going to be losing a ton of these things.

Damn, it is a provincial requirement that the evidence must be manually collected. It's right in the RFP. Once that becomes popular knowledge they are going to be losing a ton of these things.

Or brodozer'd.

Back
Top Bottom