Speed Camera fines now in effect | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed Camera fines now in effect

You should have fought the ticket then - the machine was out of calibration. You'd have won.

You are legally allowed to enter an intersection on a yellow. It's only after the light turns red that crossing the white line will yield you a ticket. Red light cameras are supposed to be calibrated accordingly....apparently the one you experienced...was not.
Not quite true. A yellow light is "stop if it is safe to do so", so you might have to justify not stopping, if charged.

Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15)

Fair enough, but having had my wife the lucky recipient of a red light ticket once before I can say the photo doesn’t tell much of the story.

A simple “I didn’t feel I could stop my vehicle safely in time” would have been hard for the crown to rebut.

Regardless, the machines are only supposed to ticket if the vehicle enters the intersection after the light went red. Not yellow. ?

Fair enough, but having had my wife the lucky recipient of a red light ticket once before I can say the photo doesn’t tell much of the story.

A simple “I didn’t feel I could stop my vehicle safely in time” would have been hard for the crown to rebut.

Regardless, the machines are only supposed to ticket if the vehicle enters the intersection after the light went red. Not yellow. ?
My understanding is that several images are taken at the time that a red light camera is triggered so you could find that The Crown has a bit more information about the incident, than is shown in the offence notification.

My understanding is that several images are taken at the time that a red light camera is triggered so you could find that The Crown has a bit more information about the incident, than is shown in the offence notification.
I received 4 photos when I received mine. My understanding is there are more. All 4 in various stages of going through the intersection also had a time stamp as well as vehicle speed.

I just skimmed through the article and found it odd that an officer reviews the infractions. Why? Isn't what the courts are for?

use www.outline.com if you don't have sub. copy the url and paste in the box

Functionally you need an officer to issue the ticket, the courts adjudicate but don't issue charges. I think there is a mechanism where a private citizen can lay a charge but it is convoluted and I don't know of any succeeding in court.

Last edited:
Functionally you need an officer to issue the ticket, the courts adjudicate but don't issue charges. I think there is a mechanism where a private citizen can lay a charge but it is convoluted and I don't know of any succeeding in court.
It's referred to as a "private prosecution", or "laying and information." Ultimately it gets reviewed by prosecutors to determine if going forward is in the public interest. If it is, they go forward. If it isn't, they drop the issue. Gary McHale tried it against Fantino, over the occupation of Caledonia. The Crown took it over, "evaluated" it, then dropped it.

There are cases of Privately laid charges being successful. But not at all common. As Rob said they are reviewed by a crown, and of course the Information has to be sworn out before a JP, who will often also discourage, if it doesn't appear legit. IE a neighbor "claims" he was assaulted with zero evidence, and it appears to be a "revenge" type thing.

There's one in the U.S. somewhere, where it's reviewed and signed off by both someone from the camera company, and an officer.
They've issued dozens, if not hundreds, of tickets to a guy who parks his car across the street from the camera.

Edit: Sauce

Last edited:
There is now a very conspicuous box near me, in front of a school in a quiet residential area. Between the curb and sidewalk. Big black window on it. Never seen anything like it. I should take a pic before someone vandalizes it.

There is now a very conspicuous box near me, in front of a school in a quiet residential area. Between the curb and sidewalk. Big black window on it. Never seen anything like it. I should take a pic before someone vandalizes it.
Is it a camera? Afaik, the karen's haven't caught on yet. It wouldn't be hard to make up some decoy cameras and put them around areas they want to protect. It would take the city a long time to remove them. If they want to be fancy, include a motion sensor that triggers a light flash.

Is there more to this story? What does a public holiday have to do with a speed camera?

Ah, I’m just angry that a robo-cop ruined a nice holiday ride and I didn’t know until a month later.
In a school zone that technically wasn’t a school zone on a holiday, on a road I KNOW I’m always careful on (because of lots of parks, crosswalks and cars parked roadside), at a speed that was technically over the limit for maybe 100 meters. Yeah sure I was over the limit but was still 1000% safer than the texting soccer parents.

I’ll swallow my bitter pill and get over it.

The window needs a protective coating so that it doesn't get scratched. LOL

The window needs a protective coating so that it doesn't get scratched. LOL
I wonder if you can get a transparent sticker that absorbs the radar? If done well, it may take them a very long time to figure out why it no longer issues tickets. Reflecting the radar could work too but that is likely easier to see in the data.

I wonder if you can get a transparent sticker that absorbs the radar? If done well, it may take them a very long time to figure out why it no longer issues tickets. Reflecting the radar could work too but that is likely easier to see in the data.
Not that I'm advocating this, but I thought I had read somewhere that a slave camera flash mounted by your license plate and pointer rearward would be activated by the flash of a photo radar camera and effectively white out your license plate.

Last edited:
Here it is. I had a close look while smiling like a crazed meth head just in case it was taking a pic of me, and yes there is a camera inside. They recently reduced the speed limit here to 30 km/hr. Its a school zone.

20211108_162137.jpg

Here it is. I had a close look while smiling like a crazed meth head just in case it was taking a pic of me, and yes there is a camera inside. They recently reduced the speed limit here to 30 km/hr. Its a school zone.

View attachment 52171
yep, those are them. there should be a posted sign somewhere as well.

Those are all over the place in Durham.

I’ve never been caught by one. We just drive the speed limit. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom