Speed Camera fines now in effect | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed Camera fines now in effect

Mississauga plans to have many of these in place, no mystery as there's a map indicated location, status of camera, relatively few up and running now. There will be signage as well.

I got camera tagged for $180 in Calgary in 2019. No one wants to pay a fine, but I was speeding in a rental. Never saw a sign, but they were there. I did comment to spouse that everyone seemed to be driving so sedately......... now I know why. On my small non thoroughfare street we have idiots (neighbors actually) passing my house doing 70 - 80, minimum, in a 40. They drive like that all the time. CP24 had a story the other day of a guy caught doing 178 kph in a 50 zone.

Here it is. I had a close look while smiling like a crazed meth head just in case it was taking a pic of me, and yes there is a camera inside. They recently reduced the speed limit here to 30 km/hr. Its a school zone.

View attachment 52171
There was one very near my house, but it has since been moved. No idea where it went. I'm going to have a look, either tonight or tomorrow, to see what they did about the mounting pedestal.

Hell, my car would idle down the street at over 30 Kmh.

There was one very near my house, but it has since been moved. No idea where it went. I'm going to have a look, either tonight or tomorrow, to see what they did about the mounting pedestal.

Hell, my car would idle down the street at over 30 Kmh.
The ones I have seen are like the one Freddy posted. Base will move with the camera and there will just be a dead patch of grass left.

They rotate them through the various school zones, (primarily), in Oshawa. Will have a sign saying coming soon when camera isnt installed. Stays for a couple of months then moved to the next school zone.

The ones I have seen are like the one Freddy posted. Base will move with the camera and there will just be a dead patch of grass left.
If they aren't bolted to a concrete base then there's nothing stopping someone with a big 4WD, just as an example, from throwing a chain around one and dragging it down the road for a bit. Just saying ;)

If they aren't bolted to a concrete base then there's nothing stopping someone with a big 4WD, just as an example, from throwing a chain around one and dragging it down the road for a bit. Just saying ;)
Afaik, they are just heavy. I haven't touched one. You don't need to drag it, just turn it 90 degrees or so. I don't even know what charge that would make you eligible for. You haven't broken anything, you haven't taken anything, you haven't created a dangerous situation, you were on public property, etc.

Maybe mischief? That doesn't seem entirely applicable either ("To commit mischief you must WILFULLY, destroy or damage property, render property useless, dangerous, inoperative or ineffective, or obstruct, interrupt or interfere with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property."). You wilfully rendered property inoperative or ineffective but that was temporary. If that was the bar, a post-it note on the window would also be eligible for the charge. Concert posters taped to the window? I don't know how often they are inspected.

EDIT:
Apparently 360 kg. It looks like the brass feet probably dig in in grass and it would be hard to move. On a hard surface it looks like you could slide a 2x under (or between the legs and box) to get some leverage and it would move easily.

photo-radar-camera.jpg

Last edited:
They rotate them through the various school zones, (primarily), in Oshawa. Will have a sign saying coming soon when camera isnt installed. Stays for a couple of months then moved to the next school zone.
For school zones im TOTALLY and completely for it. For zone changes that go from say 50 to 40 and then have a camera 50 meters later, i would argue that its a trap

It appears that municipal governments are under the impression that reducing the speed limit from 50 to 40, or 40 to 30, in some way addresses the hazard posed by someone doing 130 km/h on city streets. Newsflash, someone doing 130 km/h on a city street doesn't care what number is on the speed limit signs. They may, however, start caring in specific locations where a speed camera is installed.

I'm not opposed to speed cameras installed in school zones on roads where the speed limit makes sense, and active only during times when lots of children are expected to be present. I'm not even all that opposed to them in other areas and at other times as long as the speed limit makes sense and isn't artificially lowered to pander to political interests "There's too much traffic! Do something!". A speed camera brightly painted and with a sign a couple hundred metres in advance of it is a test of whether people are paying attention.

FWIW the one that was in Caledon on Charleston Sideroad east of highway 10 across from the school facing westbound, isn't there any more. I don't know where it went. The signs indicating that a speed camera is in use are also not there any more. Looks like they have to post the "coming soon" signs a couple months before the camera gets installed, then the sign gets replaced with one that says it's in use, then the whole setup including signs goes away when they're done with that location (probably not making money any more). Means it's a pretty lengthy exercise to move them around.

On a somewhat-related traffic-management note, the signs on flexible posts that Caledon and Halton Hills had installed in the middle of the road in quite a few locations, with the intent of slowing people down by freaking them out that they were going to scrape up the side of their car, are also not there any more. I'd have to say, for slowing people down, those were pretty effective, and less intrusive than speed bumps (which many locals hated). They're probably not snowplow-compatible. (Neither were the portable speed bumps.) I did have the pleasure of following a large tractor through Terra Cotta smacking down and driving over every single one of those signs as it went by, because the tractor was wider than the space between the signs.

Not quite true. A yellow light is "stop if it is safe to do so", so you might have to justify not stopping, if charged.

Amber light

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15)
Is this an old reference to the hta? Has is not been updated to reflect different genders?

It appears that municipal governments are under the impression that reducing the speed limit from 50 to 40, or 40 to 30, in some way addresses the hazard posed by someone doing 130 km/h on city streets. Newsflash, someone doing 130 km/h on a city street doesn't care what number is on the speed limit signs. They may, however, start caring in specific locations where a speed camera is installed.

Actually, I don't think this is the intent at all. The goal here is to reduce speed to a level where if an accident occurs the pedestrian (presumably a child) is injured, but not killed. There is an exponential relationship to speed and the rate of death for pedestrians.

"Lower speed roads are associated with a reduced risk of pedestrian motor vehicle collision (PMVC) as well as less severe PMVC injuries [5]. A comprehensive literature review that examined pedestrian fatality risk as a function of car impact speed showed that for every 1.6 km/h reduction in speed, PMVC frequency was reduced by 5% [6]. The chance of surviving a collision with a motor vehicle traveling at 50 km/h is less than 20%; whereas, survival increases to 50% at 40–45 km/h and 90% at 30 km/h [1]. Globally, studies in South Africa, New Zealand, Europe, and North America have shown that average vehicle speeds are reduced by 8–40% after speed limits are lowered from 60 km/h to 50 km/h [7]. A meta-analysis of impact speed and pedestrian fatality risk supports setting speed limits of 30–40 km/h for high pedestrian activity areas as the risk of a fatality reaches 5% at an estimated impact speed of 30 km/h [8]. Although many studies report a reduction in severe PMVC injuries and crash risk after lowering speed limits, speed limit reductions have not been well studied using controlled quasi experimental designs [5, 9, 10]."

The lunatics that drive at 130 in a 50 need to be caught and removed from the road, but it is the average driver doing 50 - 60 and more that is the primary target here as these speeds are associated with a death rate of 80%+ for pedestrians. This is reduced to 10% if the vehicle is doing 30 kph.

In reality the result will likely be higher fines, if they even bother to monitor the area or place speed cameras on it, because the people who speed will just continue doing the same speed. People tend to do the speed that they are comfortable with doing on a road, rather than the posted limit. Without consequence, speed reduction is pretty much useless.

As of August, 2021 -
1637075211-20211116-photo-radar.jpg
yeah if you saw how the traffic treats the intersections near Fairview this wouldn't surprise you.

Top ten locations with unreasonable speed limit.
I'm surprised the numbers are so low actually. Sheppard probably averages something like 15,000 to 20,000 vehicles per day. That's 2.2M to 2.9M vehicles over that 144 day period. Divide by two because the camera is only looking in one direction. Comes to about 1% of the passbys ticketed. That's much different than I expected. If they were fishing, I would expect more like 50% of the passbys ticketed. Now, given the length of time being analyzed, presumably people that god hit early modified their behaviour and were trips without a chance of tickets after. It would be interesting to see the percentage of vehicles ticketed in the first week vs the last week (assuming similar weather).

I'm surprised the numbers are so low actually. Sheppard probably averages something like 15,000 to 20,000 vehicles per day. That's 2.2M to 2.9M vehicles over that 144 day period. Divide by two because the camera is only looking in one direction. Comes to about 1% of the passbys ticketed. That's much different than I expected. If they were fishing, I would expect more like 50% of the passbys ticketed. Now, given the length of time being analyzed, presumably people that god hit early modified their behaviour and were trips without a chance of tickets after. It would be interesting to see the percentage of vehicles ticketed in the first week vs the last week (assuming similar weather).
Waze to the rescue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just hope they will never discover mobile autonomous radars.

unnamed.jpg

There is nothing stopping them from combining mobile radar and alpr to hand out tickets to every vehicle speeding near every cop car.
Cop cars are very visible and will be reported on Waze right away. And this thing is very discrete.

Back
Top Bottom