Southwood 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Southwood 13

I was on it last weekend and rode it southbound. In fairness to the road, I was getting a little tired, because I hit it at around 8pm after already riding for 1150km by that point.

The top 1/2 was in pretty crap condition. Some sand, but I was surprised at how many more potholes and bumps there seemed to be.
The bottom 1/2 was in better shape with a portion being replaced last year I think. It might be a better run going
northbound, but overall I'd say skip it and take the Coopers Falls Rd / Housey's Rapids Road combo on the east side of Hwy11.

I like rough roads and all, but I won't waste my time on it again until more work has been done to the top half.

I was on it last weekend and rode it southbound. In fairness to the road, I was getting a little tired, because I hit it at around 8pm after already riding for 1150km by that point.

The top 1/2 was in pretty crap condition. Some sand, but I was surprised at how many more potholes and bumps there seemed to be.
The bottom 1/2 was in better shape with a portion being replaced last year I think. It might be a better run going
northbound, but overall I'd say skip it and take the Coopers Falls Rd / Housey's Rapids Road combo on the east side of Hwy11.

I like rough roads and all, but I won't waste my time on it again until more work has been done to the top half.
Thanks for the update
My crotch rocket and I will skip 13 until it undergoes a resurfacing update

Yeah Shane was right. I planned on going today - my very own solo twisty ride. lol - Made it back in one piece.
My route: Southwood Rd 13 - Google My Maps

The roads were very exicting. Lot of tight turns with zero visibility to on-coming traffic. Gravel at every curve apex. Pot Holes. I was barely holding on to the bike in some areas (esp the train crossing).

I used google maps to plan my route and what a disaster it was. At certain point it started to auto-re-route me and it was too late by the time I realised it. This is what happened. (Now that I am back in front of my computer and looking at the route i created)
- I went through southwood road twice (i didnt even realise it)
- While going on Cooper falls, it auto-routed back to my start of return trip so I ended back on DoeLake road twice . Now that I am looking at the map I think i made a right turn Cooper falls road instead of Blackriver road. I thought I had included cooper falls road in my trip but looks like I didnt.
If google tells you to enter road that says "Side road" - DONT! ..lololol. ( that look on my face after I realized where I was).
Anyways, dont listen to Shane ?.. just try it. It was exciting for me I will do it again. I dont care about the gravel, it actually helped me understand my limitations.

Typical condition right now:
Watchthegravel (Small).png

2020-06-28 19_23_47-Window (Small).png
Most of the corners had sand :2020-06-28 19_25_06-Window (Small).png
Some side road I ended up due to Google map: (MacArthur Side road - Yeah big mistake.)second-side-road-cooper (Small).pngsome side road (Small).png2020-06-28 19_23_47-Window (Small).png
HWY 13:
HWY13 (Small).png

The rail crossings were too bumpy:
railcross.png

Last edited:
Forgot to add - Washroom break at Talisman Dr, Gravenhurst (which was my mid-stop for lunch)
Harvey's was closed (even though signs said pickup only)
Subway/Sobyes did not allow use of washroom.
Tim Hortons at Talisman Dr, Gravenhurst - allowed use of washroom. Limit 1 person entry.

I think that's still the best I've seen Southwood 13 look in the last ten years

Heading northbound wasn't too bad last summer/fall besides the construction spots. I found it to be pretty predictable minus the morons cutting the yellow line. I went thru earlier in the month with the car and it seems like the potholes aren't too bad (seems to be filled relatively regularly) but the sand / gravel is brutal. Maybe with another couple of good rains it will be better but I wouldn't carrying any speed through there in the meantime.

That said if you're already up that way theres better riding to be had. Big Chute easily has the nicest road surface in Muskoka and is pretty enough you don't mind doing the painfully slow speed limit. Just watch going through the Severn falls stretch.

Through 2008-2011 we could ride Southwood at 2x the pace I ride it at now. Sand and gravel were always a thing in the spring and early summer, but the frost heaves and potholes were nowhere near as bad as now. As a slightly immature rider, we would ride it balls out. I'm a much better rider than back then, but I ride that road at 5/10th's, because it's that ****. But maybe riding northbound would be better.

Glad you got to experience it Dexter! Nothing like planning out your own route and heading out.

I am planning on doing this (july 4th? maybe)...

The reason for cutting across Orillia mainly for re-fuel/maybe pickup burrito's then stop at BigChute for lunch. Return HWY400 all the way down to GTA.

Let me know your thoughts

/dex

Looks good.
If you have more time, head further north after Bala and explore more of Muskoka before heading back south.

The top half has been repaved between the 169 and the railway crossings. So now there’s only a middle section that is bumpy - maybe 10km or so.

This late in the season when there’s no sand or debris on the roads and now with the fresh pavement in the top and bottom, makes it a very enjoyable run!

I’ll be doing this all the time instead of Coopers Falls and Housey’s Rapids.

Last edited:
Anymore updates on the paving of Southwood Rd. From 69 to 19 Planning, like most here, a little ride up North this coming weekend. Love to include lucky 13 in my loop!

Let us know the condition of 13. I'm looking forward to riding it (unless it's a mess).

Several years ago, I gave up riding 13. stayed with the surrounding areas. Might try it again. Unfortunately, I am nursing a broken ankle. Until then, getting jealous with the weather looking really nice.

Right road wrong bike? Looks KLR friendly.

Back
Top Bottom