Source for Security/Tamper Proof Screws/Bolts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Source for Security/Tamper Proof Screws/Bolts

backmarkerducati

Site Supporter
Looking to add a little extra security for my roof rack. The current bolts are M6 allen.

I have been looking high and low for a local source for security/tamper proof bolts and I keep coming up empty. Tried Brafasco, they have nothing. Tried Fastenal, they won't sell to the public! Of course HD, Rona, Lowes have nothing...

What I am looking for at min, M6, Stainless, Tamper Proof button head TORX (the one with the pin), min 25mm long. BUT I would actually prefer something other than the tamper TORX (something odder) as the bits are common now, but I cannot even find that local.

There are online sources, but I will have to wait weeks or pay stupid high shipping. Even amazon is like this.

Anyone know a local retailer???

Maybe Pacific Fasteners in Etobicoke?

Since princess auto, and in the US harbor freight sell the bit kits with tamperproof screw bits for $9.99 they now offer little to no protection. Put a big dab of black silicone on the screw heads so you have to dig a bit to even see them.

I've purchased stuff from Fastenal and even had stuff special ordered. Didn't know they wouldn't do that. Did you go in to the store or just call them? L

There really aren't any "security" screws out there. If you are concerned just get thule stuff. They lock and usually block access to bolts. Unfortunately someone can cut through crossbars in a few second with a bandsaw.

The racks are made by Thule for Saab (branded Saab). They have a security kit (in theory, it is not clear it will 100% fit), it is more than I paid for the racks...

I was hoping to find something more oddball than just a button TORX, but I cannot even get that. Five point button star, triangle, etc. My original plan was to also use two or three different heads just to make things that much more of a PITA.

Right now I have the allen heads filled with silicone, but you can still grab them with vice grips. I was thinking maybe to glue a 5mm nut into the allen heads (5mm wrench size), then the only way to get that out would be to use the screw that fits the nut to thread into it and push it out... Maybe a collar around the head for vice grips.

Like anything, if someone wants it they will get it. Just want to make it more difficult.

How often do you need to adjust these bolts? Pics of bolts? If it is only when you change cars, you can just drill the torx out. When it comes time to remove the rack, just use a larger drill bit to take the whole head off. As other have said, any security screws you can buy will have easily available bits.

How often do you need to adjust these bolts? Pics of bolts? If it is only when you change cars, you can just drill the torx out. When it comes time to remove the rack, just use a larger drill bit to take the whole head off. As other have said, any security screws you can buy will have easily available bits.

LOL, I was going to suggest that then thought people would think I'm crazy.

The racks will come off every winter, back on in spring. Just there for summer (bike carriers).

If you're handy and dont mind the diy route, fill in one lobe of the torx with a tiny tig bead and file one leg off a torx bit. Total cost ~0 and nobody will have a key that fits ( sure they could make one, but hacksawing bars is easier and faster).

Not a bad idea but the current bolts are allen, not TORX (was looking for secure TORX or better).... I would still need to find M6 button head TORX bolts, and then weld the stainless...

As for the cross bars, I can always secure a hardened steel rod nside where they would cut them (I also have a bunch of 4130 laying around). Bars would be garbage if they tried to cut them, but they will likely give up long before finishing, unless they have a cut-off wheel.

Not a bad idea but the current bolts are allen, not TORX (was looking for secure TORX or better).... I would still need to find M6 button head TORX bolts, and then weld the stainless...

As for the cross bars, I can always secure a hardened steel rod nside where they would cut them (I also have a bunch of 4130 laying around). Bars would be garbage if they tried to cut them, but they will likely give up long before finishing, unless they have a cut-off wheel.
Harder, but still possible. Either fill in one of the point to make a pentagon (roughly) or set a pin in one of the points to achieve the same effect (drill/tap in pin). Grind/file a bit to match.

ever since the invention of the cordless angle grinder, things are a lot less safer. And aluminum bars don't show any sparks at night. When we travel with skiis , surf boards or pedal bikes, we dont leave anything on where we cant see it.

And its not even the $1500 bike for me , its the PITA factor when your 1,200 kms away from home and the stuff goes missing.

BMW makes special bolts and a tool to remove them specifically for roof racks. Probably cost $50 at a dealership for a set of 4 bolts and the tool to install and remove them. I do not know the thread size/pitch on them though.

Spaenaur supplies all sorts of wacky fasteners. Located in Kitchener, counter sales available to the public, will sell items individually rather than by the box.

An alternate solution: go raid just about any public washroom for the one way and tamper proof screws used in the stalls.

great, i'll be sitting on a crapper in a Mcdonalds and the partions will all fall down, somebody needed the screws......

What are you trying to protect anyways? The bikes on the rack, or the bike holders while you are out riding? It's kinda irrelevant because no one's going to sit there to unscrew screws. They'll cut it out force it with a crowbar of your roof.

As for my goals, I would like to reduce the risk of theft. I am not worried about someone taking the Saab cross bars (just for them) as much as the bike racks themselves (with no bikes) or if I stop somewhere (very short period of time, like for lunch) with bikes on the car the racks and bikes. Idea is just slow them down or encourage them to move on to the next target. The bike carriers are there all the time, I remove them for winter.

The bike racks/carriers have all the locks installed, the easy attack is to just undue to the four bolts/screws that hold the entire assembly to the roof... If I stop for lunch I will also add a bike lock to the mix, four bolts/screws are still the weak link and the fastest this to remove (faster than cutting at the moment).

BTW, I have ordered some tamper bolts from Amazon, will be here in a month... McDonalds bathroom bolts turned out to be imperial...

Attachments

• Roof Rack 1.jpg
    Roof Rack 1.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Roof Rack 2.jpg
    Roof Rack 2.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom