So I learned tonight... | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I learned tonight...

TekNinja81

Site Supporter
...that our weather forecasters SUCK, and unexpectedly getting caught riding in significant snowfall sucks.

I've more or less been riding through the winter whenever the roads were clear enough, and today was no exception, but left an outing tonight to find the parking lot full of snow. Decided to make an attempt at riding home, despite really knowing better, but lost traction and dumped the bike in the parking lot. Lucky we'd doubled back when my rear was slipping out on the main road, or I probably would have been in a much worse situation. The piss-off was that less than a KM away, the roads were pretty much clear of snow and slush, but I know I would have had a very hard time making it that first KM.

As was suggested by a fellow rider/GTAMer, I might've been ok if I'd dropped my tire pressure and had a bigger contact patch. But tonight marks the last time I'll be attempting riding in snow anytime soon.

On a side note, a question for those of you who've ridden in those conditions: I know part of why I dumped it was because I (stupidly, albeit as lightly as possible) used my front brake while trying to stop. The rear was already slipping before that, but would I have had higher chances of keeping the bike upright if I'd either used the rear brake instead, or just allowed the bike to coast to a stop? In hindsight, I was in a parking lot and should've just blown the stop sign, but in this case obeying the "law" probably did me in.

Fun times, at least I've gotten past my first drop with the Wee. Took it like a champ too, I absolutely recommend the crash bars & spool sliders -- they saved the bike from potentially much more significant damage.

kudo for the attempt though, you are a true rider.

Hahah dude! I just rode to school today cuz there was finally a break in the weather! You live in Scarborough, we should go riding!
I personally do enjoy riding in this weather. It wasn't too chili plus there wasn't any snow when I was out.
I too got caught on a day where it started off nice and turned into a disaster...
I parked my bike at school...this was just two weeks ago. Considering I only had one class, I thought EF it, lezzgoo!
Came out after class to see a shiet load of snow n slush everywhere! I live on Nielson n go to Seneca. The ride along Finch was pretty treacherous but I was luckily able to keep my wheels down on where the car tires cleared a path. Miraculously didn't get an slippage=S

BTW, I do use my front brake a lot, but I feather it and really give myself some stopping distance and just feel the road thru the bars. Plus my rear brake is gone so I've really only got no choice =P Hav't had a problem with it other than in emergency situations. I dumped my bike right infront of my school, 10minutes to my exam! AGH!! Broken clutch lever...a lil ******...I hauled the bike to the parking lot n ran into class with seconds to spare lolz.

...that our weather forecasters SUCK, and unexpectedly getting caught riding in significant snowfall sucks.

Sorry about your luck, but they have been calling for snow last night for a couple days now?

Bummer. Crazy to get a freak snowfall this time of year.

The last time I rode in really slippery snow, it took me 45 minutes to go 1 km. If it is really cold, it's not so bad, this stuff right around freezing is brutal. Glad to hear that you and the bike made it out ok.

Now you know why I dont ride in this weather. Not only do you fight the snow but the salt on the roads, the temperature making the tires harder etc etc.
Very sorry you went down. Hope you are all ok.

Sorry about your luck, but they have been calling for snow last night for a couple days now?
Bummer. Crazy to get a freak snowfall this time of year.

Heh, joking/sarcasm aside, when I'd checked the forecast earlier in the day yesterday, there wasn't supposed to be any snow until today in the evening. But that said, the bloody forecasts change so rapidly and randomly... oh well.

Winter snowfall in Jan? wtf? in Toronto? really? where can you attest to having any common sense in this post?
Dude, park your ****, take two advils for your pain and a shot or two of hard liquor to wash away your embarassment/idiocity... nap/hibernate for a couple of months, wake up smell the roses and ride (after you fix your ****).

Thanks for the "kind" words, lol. The way I look at it, I didn't buy an adventure bike to park it at the first sign of less-than-ideal riding conditions. I ride rain or shine, regardless of temperature; snow is a bit of an extreme, but I actually have been wanting to experience riding in it to see if it's even possible for me at this stage. Just wish it'd been in a controlled situation closer to home, rather than being surprised by it like I was last night. Now I know I'm not quite ready for that -- perhaps different tires, and/or lower psi would've helped, or just more experience with it in general. I know at least a few other riders with similar bikes who ride in the stuff regularly, so now will be my chance to learn more from them.

All that said, thanks for the kind responses guys, good to see not everybody here feeds the trolls. :p

I give you props for riding in this weather as it can be a ***** to deal with the windchill, and as much as I love riding, its just not worth the risk in this situation.
I am not saying that based in even just the black ice you may encounter, but also that people are just not looking out for motorcycles. I also personally love the feeling of that first ride of early spring, its something to look forward too!

Anyways, all the best and glad you didnt get hurt!

In one of your posts a while ago, u mentioned u didn't have a car. You should not really risk your life and your bike in this kind of weather. Do u think u could have ridden all year without a spill? Its ice! Can't u not afford a crap box?

If u can't afford both, u might as well get a 250cc and get a crappy car. The cost of riding all winter might be more than u bargain for.

Glad u're not seriously hurt

I also personally love the feeling of that first ride of early spring, its something to look forward too!

I agree, I am currently going nuts with just the cars/trucks, but that first ride is going to be sweet.

Also glad you didn't get hurt trying to learn.. just like you said in your other post, its probably better to learn this stuff closer to home base just in case it doesn't go as planned.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/CL6158350/caon0696/?ref=topnav_weather_statistics

Winter snowfall in Jan? wtf? in Toronto? really? where can you attest to having any common sense in this post?

Dude, park your ****, take two advils for your pain and a shot or two of hard liquor to wash away your embarassment/idiocity... nap/hibernate for a couple of months, wake up smell the roses and ride (after you fix your ****).

I agree.

Southern Ontario gets significant snowfalls into April almost every year. How could anyone be surprised to find snow on the ground in January? If you want to ride in this weather have a plan for what you're going to do when there's snow on the ground. And, btw, riding in snow in traffic is a deathwish. Leave the bike if you get snowed on, take alternate transport (cab, TTC) return and get the bike when the snow is gone. Or, don't ride when it's probably going to snow. I.e. December - March.

Regardless of your type of bike or tires you cannot maintain control on a bike in snow on asphalt. Physics dictates against it. The best I've been able to do is ride with my feet on the ground like outriggers and that is still dangerous as hell and likely to result in a drop. You realise that cars on snow on asphalt slide when they apply the brakes? What did you think would happen when you slide a motorcycle? You fall down.

Good luck and I hope you manage not to kill yourself this winter.

Meh, you live and learn. I've been debating on riding as well (put it away 20th December) but decided against it because the snow fall is pretty random right now. It'd take an hour or so to prep the bike (while freezing my *** off) then I may have to put it away for another week...not worth it =(

Like others have said, good thing it happened near home and in a low density area like a lot!
I wish I was the weatherman...can be wrong all year long and still keep your job! Ride safe if you keep riding through our 'winter'!

Glad you're ok.
I'd usually say Don't let anyone that hides their bike from rain and rides 3 days a year discourage you from riding. that being said...

I had a wake up call when I was laughing to myself in heated gear all cozy and loving my january ride, and then 2 cars crashed 3 feet from me a little over a week ago. nothing happened to me but it wasn't even slippery out. riding is dangerous any time of year, but clearly there's certain things that increase the risk to a point it's not worth it.

listen to the people that are here and have been riding for years. they know a thing or two. ;)
not me though. them.

Glad you're ok.
I'd usually say Don't let anyone that hides their bike from rain and rides 3 days a year discourage you from riding. that being said...

I had a wake up call when I was laughing to myself in heated gear all cozy and loving my january ride, and then 2 cars crashed 3 feet from me a little over a week ago. nothing happened to me but it wasn't even slippery out. riding is dangerous any time of year, but clearly there's certain things that increase the risk to a point it's not worth it.

listen to the people that are here and have been riding for years. they know a thing or two. ;)
not me though. them.

Wow, I just checked out the link in your sig. Great to see another nerd out there that breaks the stereotype.

not me though. them.

You've been here since 2009, that's long enough to know better.

Another reason I don't come to the "General Motorcycle Discussion", I'm afraid I'll insult somebody with "baby soft" skin

Back
Top Bottom